GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,079
1 members and 1,078 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay I will make sure to consider the rankings carefully after each round and I would never consider being impolite towards any sorority! I visited for Preview Weekend and really loved all of the houses I visited! I'm just trying to keep an open mind and find the best fit for me.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly the right attitude! You'll do fine.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I appreciate the help! I just wish I didn't have to wait another two months!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I apologize in advance for the double post but I am second guessing myself!

For pref night I have heard PNM's saying not to wear black or white because you will blend in with the active members... is there any truth to this? Would a LBD type dress in maybe navy or like a deep red be better suited?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirlPNM View Post

For pref night I have heard PNM's saying not to wear black or white because you will blend in with the active members... is there any truth to this? Would a LBD type dress in maybe navy or like a deep red be better suited?
The ladies offering you advice in this thread have a wealth of experience and are very well versed in all things Alabama rush.

If I were a smart PNM, I'd listen to those ones who have already been though it and NOT the girls who have not.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
The ladies offering you advice in this thread have a wealth of experience and are very well versed in all things Alabama rush.

If I were a smart PNM, I'd listen to those ones who have already been though it and NOT the girls who have not.
thanks! I just get nervous easily because I am looking forward to rush so much and I think about it a lot! I'll keep you wonderful ladies who are interested updated after rush with a recruitment story assuming all goes well!

Last edited by BamaGirlPNM; 06-05-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
thanks! I just get nervous easily because I am looking forward to rush so much and I think about it a lot! I'll keep you wonderful ladies who are interested updated after rush with a recruitment story assuming all goes well!
It's super easy to get caught up in talk even before recruitment starts. As it gets closer to recruitment you'll definitely hear a lot more.

You've got a wonderful attitude so far. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Navy is fine - so is red. LBD just is a style and in black, always acceptable for any number of events. We just mean no sequins, no poofs, no cut down to here and up to possible, etc. Simple but elegant is the best.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

This would be a really good place for someone to insert some suggestions for dresses. Anyone good at Polyvore.....
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I found the perfect dress online but it's about $250! Don't know if I can justify shelling out that much! P.S. Is it totally lame that I have started writing my recruitment story (my first impressions from preview weekend) already?? I need to find a hobby...
Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I found the perfect dress online but it's about $250! Don't know if I can justify shelling out that much! P.S. Is it totally lame that I have started writing my recruitment story (my first impressions from preview weekend) already?? I need to find a hobby...
Haha girl don't even worry, I've so been there. The summer before college starts (and usually all of senior year) can be beyond boring, I was climbing the walls before I left home! Though it doesn't get any better...now that I'm home between semesters I'm dying to be with my sisters, and it's only like week two. Stay busy, exercise, eat right, and if you do actually want a hobby you could brush up on your crafting skills? Honestly, having an excuse to be creative and make things has been one of my favorite unintended side effects of Greek life, and the girls who craft well are a vital asset in most groups

As for the dress, is it a Lilly like you mentioned earlier? If so, you may be able to find it for much less on any number of sites. Re-Lilly is wonderful, women (generally, shopaholics who just buy buy buy) sell new or hardly worn Lillys at ridiculous discounts:
https://www.facebook.com/ReLillyGroup?ref=ts

You'll see everything under albums, and sometimes people sell sorority print items too.

Other sites like Rue La La will have sales periodically, and Rue La La specifically is having a Lilly sale this Thursday at 11AM:
http://www.ruelala.com/invite/annieaxd

Last edited by justgo_withit; 06-05-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgo_withit View Post
Haha girl don't even worry, I've so been there. The summer before college starts (and usually all of senior year) can be beyond boring, I was climbing the walls before I left home! Though it doesn't get any better...now that I'm home between semesters I'm dying to be with my sisters, and it's only like week two. Stay busy, exercise, eat right, and if you do actually want a hobby you could brush up on your crafting skills? Honestly, having an excuse to be creative and make things has been one of my favorite unintended side effects of Greek life, and the girls who craft well are a vital asset in most groups

As for the dress, is it a Lilly like you mentioned earlier? If so, you may be able to find it for much less on any number of sites. Re-Lilly is wonderful, women (generally, shopaholics who just buy buy buy) sell new or hardly worn Lillys at ridiculous discounts:
https://www.facebook.com/ReLillyGroup?ref=ts

You'll see everything under albums, and sometimes people sell sorority print items too.

Other sites like Rue La La will have sales periodically, and Rue La La specifically is having a Lilly sale this Thursday at 11AM:
http://www.ruelala.com/invite/annieaxd
No the dress I'm referring to that's $250 is a dress I would wear for pref, I already bought my Lilly and I am so in love with it! But thanks for the tips for future Lilly purchases! I'm glad the boredom I'm feeling is normal, it's hard to not look forward to something as major as the start of college and rush!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
No the dress I'm referring to that's $250 is a dress I would wear for pref, I already bought my Lilly and I am so in love with it! But thanks for the tips for future Lilly purchases! I'm glad the boredom I'm feeling is normal, it's hard to not look forward to something as major as the start of college and rush!
If you are talking about a classic LBD, then it is probably a good investment for you. As a sorority woman and young woman in general, you will have many opportunities to wear it. Every woman should have one in her wardrobe.

If you aren't opposed to wearing used, Lilly is dirt cheap on ebay, especially in the smaller sizes. I regularly pick up printed dresses for under $20.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
If you are talking about a classic LBD, then it is probably a good investment for you. As a sorority woman and young woman in general, you will have many opportunities to wear it. Every woman should have one in her wardrobe.

If you aren't opposed to wearing used, Lilly is dirt cheap on ebay, especially in the smaller sizes. I regularly pick up printed dresses for under $20.
The dress comes in black as well as navy and a darker red, all of which I really like! I know the black would be better for future events but I have fallen in love with the red! I'll probably get the black though because I'll be better off for the future. I'm not opposed to wearing gently used clothing at all! For the time being I have the Lilly that I want to wear for recruitment but in the future I will definitely keep these options in mind! I love getting everyone's input and it's awesome to be able to talk about rush with knowledgeable people! I'd love to hear anything else anyone has to say regarding rush at Bama or to just talk about it!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

What, nooo, what is all this talk about black dresses? I was planning on wearing this corally-pink dress for pref! Of course I have several LBDs, but I rarely go for black when I'm still in a "making impressions" phase. Also, I'm just more comfortable and confident in color! If we are advised to wear black, of course I'll wear black - I mean, I love following dress codes. But at the end of the day, we are also supposed to be ourselves and show our personality, right?