GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,387
2 members and 2,385 guests
MSKKG, navane

Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink help starting A Pi Beta Phi sorority

I attend kent state geauga campus this year and will attend the main campus next year, I graduated in 08 so it will be my second year. My sister was a Pi Phi at bowling green and I would really like to be one too, but kent doesnt have a chapter there. Her friend who also attends the geauga branch with us (and was a Pi Phi @ BGSU) is really into the idea of starting one. So I guess what I need is a how to guide to go about this. Kent already has a greek life system, so that is not an issue
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookalike View Post
I attend kent state geauga campus this year and will attend the main campus next year, I graduated in 08 so it will be my second year. My sister was a Pi Phi at bowling green and I would really like to be one too, but kent doesnt have a chapter there. Her friend who also attends the geauga branch with us (and was a Pi Phi @ BGSU) is really into the idea of starting one. So I guess what I need is a how to guide to go about this. Kent already has a greek life system, so that is not an issue
Actually, that means that it *is* an issue.

Campuses that have more than 1 NPC chapter have very strict guidelines on how a new chapter is selected for colonization. First, the campus must be open for expansion, and then any of the NPC groups not already represented on the campus may choose to throw their names into consideration. From those packets received, the campus panhellenic will invite 3 or so groups to present, and then they will vote on the group to invite to colonize.

In other words, it is a long process that involves many variables out of your hands.

Have you considered going through rush to look at the groups already on campus? While it would be nice to share that bond with your sister, you may find that another organization could be a great fit for you.

Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Actually, that means that it *is* an issue.

Campuses that have more than 1 NPC chapter have very strict guidelines on how a new chapter is selected for colonization. First, the campus must be open for expansion, and then any of the NPC groups not already represented on the campus may choose to throw their names into consideration. From those packets received, the campus panhellenic will invite 3 or so groups to present, and then they will vote on the group to invite to colonize.

In other words, it is a long process that involves many variables out of your hands.

Have you considered going through rush to look at the groups already on campus? While it would be nice to share that bond with your sister, you may find that another organization could be a great fit for you.

Best of luck.
Agree.

Also, why do you want to be a Pi Phi? I understand that it would be awesome to be your sister's sister but have you really looked into what the sorority is about? Is there a reason why you specifically want to be a part of this organization, other than the fact that your sister is a member?

If you're really looking to be a part of the Greek community, I would probably suggest going through recruitment at your new campus. To wait for the school to be open for expansion, to pick Pi Phi, and for Pi Phi to finish the process of colonizing before you graduate is a lot to hope for.

I'd just hate to think that you'd miss out on an opportunity to be Greek if that's truly what you want to do.

@~/~~~~
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It is very difficult to start up a chapter of a particular sorority - and a bit unfair to the pnms you recruit if you tell them that you will be XYZ.

A local at my alma mater told all their pnms that they would be a chapter of Delta Delta Delta. I had some inside information, and knew there was NO WAY they would be able to become a Tri-Delta chapter. They went on to become a NPC chapter, and are doing well, but I know of some members who were upset because they felt they had a "bait and switch" pulled on them. Actually, the process worked the way it is supposed to but most collegians do not fully understand NPC expansion procedures.

Do some research, and I'm sure you can determine whether or not the campus might be open to expansion. Do understand, however, that no one can promise you that it might expand to include Pi Phi.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 05-08-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

A campus has to be open for Extension for it to happen. There are two reasons that a campus would open for Extension:

1. An increasing trend in Panhellenic membership with all chapters at or very close to campus total. In this situation, a Campus Panhellenic would choose between increasing campus total or opening for Extension. Every campus is different, and housing/meeting space is often a big deciding factor.

2. A local sorority or interest group that wishes to affiliate with an NPC sorority.

Straight from the NPC Manual of Information, 14th Edition (page E-1 for those following along):

"It is unethical for an NPC fraternity to establish a chapter on a campus without the approval of the proper authority." Proper authority at Kent State is the Campus Panhellenic Association. That's an NPC Unanimous Agreement. That means Extension doesn't happen unless the Panhellenic Association votes for it.

To open for Extension, you have to convince the NPC Regional or National Delegates for each sorority at Kent State that Extension is a good idea. Though the chapter Panhellenic Delegates officially vote, they are advised how to vote.

Once a campus is open for Extension, they send out information packets to NPC sororities that do not have active chapters at the campus. Interested NPC sororities notify the Campus Panhellenic. Usually 3 groups (sometimes 2 or 4) are invited to present to the Campus Panhellenic and one of them is chosen.

You're making a lot of assumptions.

1. You're assuming that Kent State is open for Extension.
2. You're assuming that Pi Beta Phi is interested in Kent State and able to commit to colonization at this time.
3. You're assuming that Kent State's Panhellenic would choose Pi Beta Phi.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 AM

Hello there, I actually am a KSU sorority alumna.

Yes, the school already has a Greek system, but there is a process that must be followed by the campus for a new sorority to be brought on. You can't just "start" a Pi Beta Phi chapter at a school. The school has to see a need for another chapter and declare the school open for expansion.

In order for you to bring this sorority to campus, the school would need to open the campus for expansion and the campus Panhellenic (the governing body of all 6 Panhellenic sororities) would need to vote on it. The fact that KSU already has a Greek system means that the existing sororities have to agree to add a new one.

At this time, KSU is not open for expansion. This means that they are not looking to bring on a new sorority right now. This may change in a few years, but as of right now, they are not.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-10-2008 at 01:08 AM.