GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,136
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PoodleDeNovo24
» Online Users: 1,021
3 members and 1,018 guests
flamboyanttree, MethrenLusia

Old 05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo View Post
My husband and I are going to his cousin's wedding this weekend, and I think it may be a doozy. Our invitation came addressed to "Dave and Samantha", which would be fine...if my name was Samantha. My shower invitation had the correct first name, but the last name was spelled incorrectly. To top it off, I received an e/m from the bride-to-be yesterday, and I'm still shaking my head. It reads, it part, " For those of you who have yet to buy us a gift, please note that our registry has been completed. Etiquette requires that your cash gift must at least cover your dinner. We paid $29.00 a plate, so each couple at minimum should give at least $60.00. Also, please note that we are having a money tree to help pay our honeymoon expenses. Thanks."

My husband has been begging me not to give them a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette as a gift. Sadly for him, it's already been purchased..I just don't know if I'm mean enough to give it to them.
Honestly, if Andy's cousin didn't get the name on the invitation right, there would have been a decline. I said as much to the groom's sister when I said something about the place card and she asked about the invitation.

Andy also decided we were going to send the wedding card. I said fine, but he has to take care of it. It's still sitting in the out box.

I would so give the book-besides, it is actually good to have on the book shelf. If it needs to be anonymous, well that's a compromise he should be able to live with-especially since your going "Samantha". You've already compromised.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
My husband and I are going to his cousin's wedding this weekend, and I think it may be a doozy. Our invitation came addressed to "Dave and Samantha", which would be fine...if my name was Samantha. My shower invitation had the correct first name, but the last name was spelled incorrectly. To top it off, I received an e/m from the bride-to-be yesterday, and I'm still shaking my head. It reads, it part, " For those of you who have yet to buy us a gift, please note that our registry has been completed. Etiquette requires that your cash gift must at least cover your dinner. We paid $29.00 a plate, so each couple at minimum should give at least $60.00. Also, please note that we are having a money tree to help pay our honeymoon expenses. Thanks."

My husband has been begging me not to give them a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette as a gift. Sadly for him, it's already been purchased..I just don't know if I'm mean enough to give it to them.
You are now ordered by law to do this, and come back to GC and tell us how it went over. Thanks.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wow....that is ballsy. I'd say the etiquette book would be a lovely gift, along with a card.

Classy...just classy.

Maybe they need a gift like a lava lamp or something equally tacky that can't be returned.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

If you feel the need to give them cash, how about giving it to them all in pennies? (Suggestion from a coworker)
Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
Maybe they need a gift like a lava lamp or something equally tacky that can't be returned.
Maybe the hula dancer that wiggles on your dashboard? Or $60 worth of Silly Putty?

P.S. You guys are hilarious. If I ever really want revenge on someone, I'm sure I could get tons of creative ideas here.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If you feel the need to give them cash, how about giving it to them all in pennies? (Suggestion from a coworker)
After I read DH chitownxo's post, he asked "Does it have to be US dollars?"
Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post

I have a friend who registered for wedding stuff, got it, and got so much crap it is still in boxes in storage as they have no need for their 12 place setting china service. What a waste of space, gifts they don't even use.
People do this ALL THE TIME. Why do 20-somethings who live in postage-stamp sized apartments and never host dinner parties insist on registering for 12-place settings? In both fine china and every-day stuff? Especially when you realize that many of these women will inherit china or crystal from their mothers and/or grandmothers.

I also feel a little weird about going whole-hog with that kind of stuff--and bedding--for couples who have lived together for years. On the other hand, they tend to know what they really need, or their registry items reflect their lifestyle interests, and I know that they're actually going to USE their stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
After I read DH chitownxo's post, he asked "Does it have to be US dollars?"
Ooh, you could give your gift in one of the old European currencies that were replaced by the euro. Anyone got any old Italian lire they're not using?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
People do this ALL THE TIME. Why do 20-somethings who live in postage-stamp sized apartments and never host dinner parties insist on registering for 12-place settings?
Then you go to their house to visit and the china you bought them is still in a box in the garage because not only do they not have dinner parties, they also don't have a proper china hutch in which to store it in.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree on the china thing. Most of your other stuff, the everyday dishes, your sheets, appliances, etc. are going to be replaced within 15 years. You have your china for life, pass it on to your kids, etc. It's ok if you don't use it in the first couple years of marriage because you'll probably be using it 40 years later when everything else you received has been sold in a garage sale.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it depends on the type of people you are. Live-in's mom almost never used her china (not even once or twice a year, more like once or twice a decade - he doesn't have any memories of using the china). My parents (now my dad) use their china 5-6 times a year, for family dinners or dinner parties. If it's not a bbq or graduation party (using disposable plates) it's formal dining with their china all the way. They got lucky with their pattern, too - with as much as they use it plates/cups/etc. are bound to get broken, and they've been able to replace them as they go because their pattern hasn't been discontinued (they got married in 1978). I would guess that they've probably bought an entire new set (at least of the dinner plates) since they got them.

My brother and his wife didn't even register for china when they got married because they never thought of a possible situation where they would want to use it.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I disagree on the china thing. Most of your other stuff, the everyday dishes, your sheets, appliances, etc. are going to be replaced within 15 years. You have your china for life, pass it on to your kids, etc. It's ok if you don't use it in the first couple years of marriage because you'll probably be using it 40 years later when everything else you received has been sold in a garage sale.
People keep FiestaWare forever!

I think it's expected that everyday dishes, linens, and appliances will be changed out, especially since color trends change and what the "in" appliance to have this decade (Hi, KitchenAid stand mixer!) may not be what our parents wanted in their kitchens.

But here's the thing--unless you entertain formally very often, which most middle class families just don't do anymore--you'll rarely need fine china, let alone 12 place settings worth. And, if you're in the life position where you are hosting large formal dinners, chances are you inherited at least one set of china. Also, some fine china is pretty freaking trendy too. What happens if you finally get ready to have a dinner party, open up your china cabinet, and you hate that Kate Spade china pattern you loved back in 2006?

I'm lucky in that my friends are awesome and register for items that I know they're going to use right away.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I have inherited my mother's FiestaWare because my brother didn't know what it was..lol.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

$29 dollars for a reception meal is cheap, however, if you go to the right place it might also be very good.

We decided to get married on a Friday night knowing that it was cheaper and paid about that much a head which also included an open bar. The food was outstanding as well as the amenities. Granted it wasn't a sit down dinner, we did it buffet style but there was MORE than enough food for everyone and we all enjoyed it.

Just my opinion.....that email was unclassy. I'd definately send the book.....even though I REALLY like the picture of money on the plate idea!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Not only do I think they so obviously NEED an etiquette book, but I'd be tempted to include a note stating that you spent $80 on the book, so she owes you $20.

OR, you could hide money inside the book, and wait to see if she ever notices it. FWIW, new bills work the best (yes, it's been done).