GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,576
1 members and 2,575 guests
zenjaminusasdz5
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

no no thtast not what I am saying....

I just dont think its exactly fair. The point is that I never want to leave my sorority, so i've been trying to find a school that has mine. They've all ended up being little schools in the middle of nowhere, which is what I am trying to get away from. I cant see going to a new school and not being in one. so everywhere i look it HAS to have my sorority. With all the requirements that I want for the new school that i transfer to, my schools to choose from are narrowed down.
its extremely fusterating..im sure a lot of u can relate to something like that.
which is why i think it should be ok to join another one. you dont betray your other sisters from ur previous school at all..and i would never do that. point is that if someone were to go to another school that didnt have their sorority their previous sisters shouldn't feel that they have been betrayed, they should understand that their "sister" felt that the school which they were at wasnt right for them, so they needed to transfer. With that said, they girl would still want to feel part of group or a sorority. so it should be fine that they go ahead and join another one.
what I am saying is that people shouldnt have to feel that they need to go to those great lengths. it just seems like it would make things soo much easier.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

what i meant by big school is...schools that have over 10,000 students in them

i come from a school with just under 4,000 with only leaving 1,000 students on campus. everyone goes home on the weekend and there is absolutely NOTHING to do! like i would like to go to University of delaware, Florida State, University of South Carolina,but they dont have my sorority so i cant go there.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Are your grades good enough to transfer? That's the first thing I'd consider.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
what I am saying is that people shouldnt have to feel that they need to go to those great lengths. it just seems like it would make things soo much easier.
Personally, I think if you aren't willing to "go to great lengths" for your sorority, you don't deserve the sisterhood. Sorry to be blunt but this isn't the Chess Club we're talking about. You made a commitment for life when you were initiated.

Why can't you just chose a school based on academics and join the local Alumnae Association of your sorority? You're going to college for an education, right? No matter where you go there will other organizations to get involved with.

I'm sorry NPC hasn't made this "easy" for you. Life's difficult. Get used to it.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
they girl would still want to feel part of group or a sorority. so it should be fine that they go ahead and join another one.
There are HUNDREDS of groups to join at larger schools. I'm sure you'd be able to find at least one where you could find people with similar interests and make friends.

You definitely should not choose your new school based on whether it has a chapter of your sorority --- you could end up not even getting along with members of this new chapter and be miserable there. Remember that chapters vary from school to school.

You should choose your new school for the same reasons many people choose colleges: location, size, academics, student-to-teacher ratio, campus life, etc. Then you can decide which clubs to join or where to go to meet new people. Maybe it'll have a chapter of your sorority that you click with and like, maybe it won't and you can join a different club.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Personally, i think its really stupid that if you transfer to a different school that doesnt have ur sorority you cant rush another one. Its not like were going to tell the new sorority all of the secrets of the old one we were in. In fact why would anyone care to anyways? its really pointless. I think it should be allowed just as long as you really dont tell other people you were once part of another sorority or talk about the other sorority in general.

I am trying to transfer to a new school, but unfortunatly (with out knowning) my sorority doesnt like to colonize chapters at BIG schools which is what i am aimin to transfer to. So now basically, i have VERY limited choices of where i can transfer to and its down right not fair. I love being in a sorority, and i would never want to leave one, but i think its gay that i now cant join a new one. I was actually just thinking of not telling anyone and just go through rush again.

and if people in ur sorority are going to disown you because u went to a new one, then they are very low people, and they dont qualify as a true friend.

ok i vented my fustration
I think that ANY sorority would be blessed to have you "join"! Not to mention, any university! You seem to be a solid, honest, and loyal young woman, and have AMAZING grammar and spelling skills.

You sure sound like a winner to me!

Last edited by REE1993; 06-13-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Unregistered-

Let's assume that you get into your new school that has a chapter of your sorority.

The new chapter is not obligated in any way to take you in just because you're a member. Each sorority has their own affiliation process you'd most likely have to go through. Heck, some chapters even have rules that boldly state that they don't take transfer members.

Another thing to consider is how well you'll get along (IF you'll even get along) with the sisters of this new chapter. I had a chapter sister go back home, transferred to State U. and decided she wanted to affiliate with State U.'s chapter. Her request was accepted, but immediately hated being around her new chapter sisters so much that she no longer bothered to attend meetings and events. State U's chapter is a total 180 from ours (ours is a small one) and unfortunately she just didn't "click" with any of those girls.

As I said before, college is just for a few short years. Sisterhood isn't defined by rush, mixers, and formals. You can get it without all of that.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Personally, I think if you aren't willing to "go to great lengths" for your sorority, you don't deserve the sisterhood.

your completely missing my point. what I was saying about going to great lengths was that people shouldnt have to go to those great lenghts( i.e Lie, feel they are betraying by joining another sorority)
you should just be able to join a new one that way people dont come up those ideas(Lying, betraying, etc, etc) thats what i meant by it would be easier.

and thats extremely rude of you to say that i dont deserve the sisterhood. no offense.

when i told my big about me thinking of transfering, i was worried that they werent going to accept me, b/c my president told me that, but i felt like she was only saying that so that I wouldnt transfer. neways my Big said that as transfers ur known as "legacies" and that you would have to do sometihng incredibly stupid to not be accepted..so that made me feel a lot better.

when looking at schools i've looked at EVERYTHING! ah im soo pickey. school spirt has to be high, little commuters that way the campus doesnt feel empty on the weekends, around a surburan area/city, the size has to be bigger than 10,000 people, good academics.

and yes all of the schools that i've applied to I am capable of getting accepted.

I'm hoping with whatever school i can get into that i'll fit in with the girls there. and if you dont. you live and you learn, but you should still get that chance.

and its easier said then done, not being part of a big group of girls when thats what you've done all your life...
all my life i;ve been involved with big groups of girls. i could never think of not being in a sorority.
but the way everyone has been attacking me like they have been on here..shows that maybe i should disaffiliate myself and not even be part of one.

Last edited by Lilxcutie88; 06-14-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
if you want to know i'm part of Sigma Sigma Sigma. and apparently they only create chapters at small teacher schools, which is why its been hard finding a school. i've looked East Carolina, and Northern Illinois University. Do any of you know anything about those chapters?
Care to cite your source?

I don't believe you, especially since there are MANY Tri Sigma sisters here on GreekChat who come from campuses that are not "small teacher schools".
Old 06-14-2007, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I would go back and edit your post about which sorority you are in if you honestly want to be accepted wherever it is that you are transferring to. You don't think this might hurt you? You may not be going through recruitment, but that's not to say that there are no Tri Sig's here on greekchat who go to those schools and will remember that when lo and behold, a new girl transfers in and tells them they went to your school.
Go Chi O!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Out of sheer curiosity...

Why are you looking to transfer schools?

It doesn't sound like its for a specific academic major, otherwise I'd assume that you'd be concerned with transferring to schools that offer that particular program.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Care to cite your source?

I don't believe you, especially since there are MANY Tri Sigma sisters here on GreekChat who come from campuses that are not "small teacher schools".
Yeah, I'd have to say that Penn State, UNC-Chapel Hill, and the University of Virginia don't seem like small teacher schools to me.

P.S. I hear the Kent State University chapter rocks.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan314 View Post
Yeah, I'd have to say that Penn State, UNC-Chapel Hill, and the University of Virginia don't seem like small teacher schools to me.

P.S. I hear the Kent State University chapter rocks.
Indeed it does! It's also a good school and a decent location. The Tri Sigma website is your friend when it comes to finding where chapters are located. Last time I checked Seton Hall, Pitt, and VCU weren't small teacher schools either. They might not all be in bigger cities (check out Montclair State, 40 minutes from NYC or even U of Alaska-Anchorage for that). Want serious school spirit? Consider Marshall. Might be in the middle of nowhere but probably the most rabid fans of all the schools with Tri Sigma chapters.

Lilxcutie88, in all seriousness, if you want "school spirt has to be high, little commuters that way the campus doesnt feel empty on the weekends, around a surburan area/city, the size has to be bigger than 10,000 people, good academics." then you might have to make tradeoffs on whether or not there's a Tri Sigma chapter. Your education is the most important thing. Make that decision first, then find a way to keep Tri Sigma in your life after that. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I just don't get why this is so effing hard to explain. You join a sorority for life, not however long you stay at one university. Once you've joined one NPC, you can't join another. Think it's not fair? Tough shit. Life's not fair. It's not fair that Sigma got stuck with such a waste of space and sisterhood. You're in school to get an education, not to be in a sorority.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
if you want to know i'm part of Sigma Sigma Sigma.
LOL, maybe not for long.

Your big is completely off base when she says transfers are known as legacies. That's like saying apples are known as shirts. They're two completely different things. The rules about accepting transfers may differ from group to group, but as someone said, even if the new chapter would HAVE to accept you, there's a chance you might not like them or vice versa.

The fact that "academics" comes up last in the list of things you're looking for at your new school doesn't bode well. If you DO go to a big school like UD or USC and you aren't doing well in your classes...it's quite likely you won't get the personal attention like you would have gotten at a smaller school. You'll be another student that flunks out, big deal.

If you wanted to be in a major that your school doesn't have, or were leaving to be closer to family, I think people might be a little more accepting of your situation, but your reasons for transferring at all (not even going into the sorority issue) seem really lame. If (as it seems) all you care about is how many parties the school has on the weekends, whether you can or cannot join another sorority is a moot point, since you'll probably flunk out anyway.