GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,407
0 members and 1,407 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2004, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Happy...I think it is okay to wear a skirt for 2nd round because a lot of the houses set it up where you are sitting at a table to do the crafts....but I definitely would wear a dress for third round...lilly is a very good idea for both second and third round..if you have any questions PM me.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXGidget
I went through formal rush last year at UF and there was a lot of variety in colors in the dresses we wore for prefs night. And I would say that it is a good idea to dress a bit better than the website suggests...just go one step classier. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!!!

Everyone on this thread has been so helpful. I'm still in the process of making actual decisions about what I want to wear (It IS a process, LOL!), so if you girls have any more advice send it my way.

One thing I was wondering about is appropriate jewelry. On the UF website it says "simple jewelry" and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on that is.

-Jessica
Old 07-04-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I think most any jewelry you wear would be appropriate. What types of jewelry do you normally wear?

Simple, understated jewelry will be a nice accent (think diamond or pearl studs, small hoops, silver bracelet, pendant necklace, etc.) and will tend to blend in with the whole outfit, creating a unified, put-together look. BUT if you have a piece of jewelry that is really beautiful and unique, don't hesitate to wear it (with an outfit that doesn't compete with it for attention)! I have had entire conversations with PMs based on their gorgeous necklace. I'd say use your good taste, and don't pile it on.

Also, I wouldn't suggest wearing ANYTHING that you'd be devastated if it were lost, because you wouldn't want to have to go back to every single house and crawl on the floor looking for your grandmother's diamond bracelet. Not that it would get you cut or anything, but it wouldn't be very fun...
Old 07-04-2004, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha thanks...I lose things a lot so I'll keep that in mind.

My "jewelry style" is normally more trendy with more casual outfits and more simple and classic with nicer outfits. I just got some beautiful pearls for my birthday that I am so excited to wear for prefs!

-Jessica
Old 07-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

shy away from jewelry that is like or even vaguely resembles sorority jewelry or represents their symbols;i.e., anchor necklace(dg) crown broach(zta) kite pin(kat), etc. while it might be an heirloom piece handed down in your family for generations, it might appear pushy to the sorority whose emblem you are wearing and might sabotage your chances with that group.(i believe that there was a post a while ago where a pnm wore something like this to a recruitment party and made a big deal about it(even had a tatoo with the emblem). she was dropped!)
Old 07-08-2004, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

dress

for the skit round, i heard we are supposed to wear sundresses. i found a dress i LOVE, but im afraid it might be inappropriate...its a tube dress and it has really bright colors in paisley...it doesnt look cheap at all..lol i know it might sound like it.....i dont wanna give the maker b/c i dont want to show up with 3 girls wearing the same dress( small chance i know, but im not gonna take those chances). i heard tube dresses are iffy, but then i looked at the bama sorority dress page and many of the girls are wearing them. what do yall think??

by the way, im not going to bama, it was my 2nd choice school & a ton of my friends are going there so a lot of the information ive heard about rush comes from there.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: dress

Quote:
Originally posted by meg85
for the skit round, i heard we are supposed to wear sundresses. i found a dress i LOVE, but im afraid it might be inappropriate...its a tube dress and it has really bright colors in paisley...it doesnt look cheap at all..lol i know it might sound like it.....i dont wanna give the maker b/c i dont want to show up with 3 girls wearing the same dress( small chance i know, but im not gonna take those chances). i heard tube dresses are iffy, but then i looked at the bama sorority dress page and many of the girls are wearing them. what do yall think??

by the way, im not going to bama, it was my 2nd choice school & a ton of my friends are going there so a lot of the information ive heard about rush comes from there.
Will you be comfortable in it? Does it support you? Can you wear it the entire day without self-conciously tugging it up every few minutes? If you answer yes to all these, then I guess you could consider it.

However, I still think that tube dresses for rush look tacky. Seems more like something you'd wear on a date. Other girls may think it's fine, though. But if the answer to any of those questions above was no, don't do it!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

bump

Go conservative and slightly overdressed than the recommended attire. Wear COLORS and minimal silver jewelry.

Post-recruitment, you should have in your wardrobe one plain white dress with white shoes, and one plain black dress with black shoes for sorority ceremonies. Buy your white dresses now, while it is still summer.

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-08-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf

Go conservative and slightly overdressed than the recommended attire. Wear COLORS and minimal silver jewelry.

Post-recruitment, you should have in your wardrobe one plain white dress with white shoes, and one plain black dress with black shoes for sorority ceremonies. Buy your white dresses now, while it is still summer.
Amen to all of that! Especially the part about the white dresses! Just imagine my whole new member class trying to find white dresses in Michigan in February!

Regarding strapless/tube dresses: What about wearing a cardigan with these dresses? I know in Alabama, Florida, etc. it can be hot during recruitment, but a lightweight and coordinating cardigan would look classy AND keep you warm in an air conditioned house - and you could always take it off to walk between houses.

Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This is SUCH a helpful thread.
I wanted to ask, what is the view on flip flops? I have a pair that are gold, and quite smart, but i read somewhere that flip flops are a no no!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

cremeegg,

I cleaned out my PM box!

Also, I think flip-flops, over all, are a no-no. HOWEVER, you are going to college in Los Angeles, which is decidedly trendier than the rest of these schools in terms of attire worn during recruitment. So I think you would be ok.

That being said, DO call the office of Greek Life at USC and ask one of the recruitment counselors. You might even bring the shoes in a bag to your Greek Forum/Kickoff (the Greek orientation when you meet your recruitment counselor) and get her advice.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to aoiikristi
Of course, living in LA, if you have a pair of those $17,000 flip flops like what Marc Anthony gave to J. Lo with the gold "feathers" on them--I'm sure that would be fine!

LOL!!!!!

(sorry, I just couldn't resist...)
Old 08-09-2004, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Quote:
Originally posted by PiPhiGirl2005
Amen to all of that! Especially the part about the white dresses! Just imagine my whole new member class trying to find white dresses in Michigan in February!
LOL, I just had to comment on that. Butler had deferred recruitment, so I wasn't initiated until March. A pledge sister and I went out looking for whites but had a horrible time doing so. To this day we always joke about almost buying a slip to wear!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice on the flip flops. I'll take them to the Greek Forum and see what they think. I personally think they're smart enough...... we'll see!!!