GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,047
2 members and 1,045 guests
LarryByday

Old 02-06-2014, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Beta Gamma

My sorority is currently looking into and voting on possible extension with ΚΒΓ. Our EC has presented us with information regarding this organization, however I feel there are unanswered questions.

Should I hold my vote and hope for a NPC organization to approach us in the next 5 years? (Pros/Cons)

To a sister of ΚΒΓ: how is your experience with the organization? (DM me if you wish)

Why is ΚΒΓ no longer associated with NPC?
Why have chapters closed or colonized with other organizations?
Where is the yearly retreat hosted?
How much are dues per semester/per year?
How much do pins cost? (& are they made of gold?)

If you have any other information I would love to hear it!

Thanks!

Last edited by Luchia; 02-06-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My understanding is that they left the NPC because the number of chapters they had fell below NPC requirements.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
My understanding is that they left the NPC because the number of chapters they had fell below NPC requirements.
Thank you for the clarification!

Do you know why they lost chapters?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Is there not someone from KBG that you could speak to regarding these questions?

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I didn't know that they have ever been part of the NPC.

But, yes to what KSUViolet says. These are questions best addressed with Kappa Beta Gamma.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I would recommend visiting their National site (http://www.kappabetagamma.com/#!chapters/c5o2) and getting in touch with the two chapters in British Columbia - they may be better able to help you with your questions.

ΑΓΔ
Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

They were never a part of NPC.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone, I appreciate you taking your time to reply to my post.

Our EC is currently talking with them and sending questions that we have. I should have clarified that. Sorry!

I was just wondering if there was any external information because it is very concerning to myself that there have been so many chapters close. Due to this, I wanted to hear from people who might have information on ΚΒΓ.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 AM

I am not part of KBG but I will say this. If membership in an NPC group is truly what your members want, DON'T join KBG. If you do decide to join KBG, this is a forever move - not a "just until we get enough people for a bigger national" move.

Just stating this because there were some chapters out there who thought the latter was ok, and it's not. It's crummy.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 AM

Oh, and my guess as to why chapters closed is because being Catholic was no longer a dealbreaker to joining other NPC groups.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, that is exactly what I am wanting to bring up at the discussion!

Also, I never knew that! I don't think anyone in my sorority knew that! Thank you for the information. Do you know what decade NPC sororities opened their doors to different faiths?

You're seriously the best.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Could you please use the search function and not rely on us to answer every single question that already has been answered?

You will need research skills in your future employment and your current quest is a great place to develop some. GreekChat was declared a "no spoon-feeding zone" quite some time ago.

Thank you.

ETA: there is no "perfect" or Hollywood or ideal version of a sorority in existence. We all have challenges with finances, membership, scholarship, philanthropy, ritual, and so on. All this is readily apparent by spending time reading and researching, not just on GreekChat, but elsewhere.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 02-07-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The NPC dropped the Christian faith requirement in the 50s or 60s. And Iota Alpha Pi suffered since they were largely a Jewish organization and labeled as such and thus had a decline in membership. To back up my sister and others, KBG was never in the NPC but has been trying to last I heard.

Also do some research and see what sororities line up best with your goals, principles, etc. That is the best way to start looking. If you think KBG is the best fit go for it. But don't judge because they are not members of the NPC. Be open minded when searching. It's not about what umbrella group they belong to it's about what each group stands for.

But every umbrella group has it's own rules and standards for becoming a colony. But that's step two. Atep obe is figuring out which group will benefit your siaters, campus and community. Best of luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably the biggest question you need to ask is HOW well do they service their Existing Canadian chapter? Any sorority that has Canadian chapters will tell you that the logistics are very interesting for dealing with chapters in Canada, and you want to make sure that if you sign on that you will be able to actually get services from HQ. Ask to talk to that chapter and see how much help they get from the home office and if their needs are met. They will be your best guide to whether or not you will get what you are looking for.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchia View Post
My sorority is currently looking into and voting on possible extension with ΚΒΓ. Our EC has presented us with information regarding this organization, however I feel there are unanswered questions.

Should I hold my vote and hope for a NPC organization to approach us in the next 5 years? (Pros/Cons)

To a sister of ΚΒΓ: how is your experience with the organization? (DM me if you wish)

Why is ΚΒΓ no longer associated with NPC?
Why have chapters closed or colonized with other organizations?
Where is the yearly retreat hosted?
How much are dues per semester/per year?
How much do pins cost? (& are they made of gold?)

If you have any other information I would love to hear it!

Thanks!
There is a lot of research that you need to do, but I'm wondering if you're focusing on some of the wrong issues.