GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,427
2 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

In response to people talking about the weather... it does actually stay in the 80s during the beginning/middle of September in her area (I grew up in the Northeast).

Still I would NOT be wearing that dress for any part of recruitment. I DO like it, but it doesn't fit the occasion.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZsis&mom View Post
I understand you explaining to the OP the difference in dress for different regions of the country. But that was going too far. You may not see this dress in the Northeast (I am sure you will next year), but it is the hottest selling style in many areas.

Saying it is not appropriate for Recruitment was all that was required.
Actually, no, it wasn't. I wanted to be sure that she knew that my opinion is, if you wear that dress in September in the Northeast, you will be mistaken for a prostitute. Or a waitress at some sort of themed restaurant. "Inappropriate" doesn't cut it, the same as "suicide" is a lot better at conveying the gravity of your choice than "intentional single preference.

It's not just the style, it's the color and fabric that make it completely wrong for sorority rush in the autumn in New York State. Even if it is in the 80s, summery clothing will make you look silly. The same color and fabric in a classic sheath dress would be equally wrong.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually, no, it wasn't. I wanted to be sure that she knew that my opinion is, if you wear that dress in September in the Northeast, you will be mistaken for a prostitute. Or a waitress at some sort of themed restaurant.

You must not know what a good portion of girls wear at Cornell and many other schools in the area during the warmer months.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAuburnMom View Post
That hemline is the one I had for my bridesmaids dresses 22 years ago. Is it back in fashion again?
Yes. Dipped hems are hot right now.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
You must not know what a good portion of girls wear at Cornell and many other schools in the area during the warmer months.
When they're at bars, right? Not at rush.

And since 95% of twentysomething girls going to bars nowadays look like prostitutes, it's a perfectly fine look there (albeit still too summery).

DISCLAIMER: As a 20something, this poster often wore skirts that were Too Damned Short, because she has awesome legs, but balanced it with a top in which her "twins" were safely ensconced and not falling out. She wore flats rather than 5 inch heels also.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAuburnMom View Post
That hemline is the one I had for my bridesmaids dresses 22 years ago. Is it back in fashion again?
Mine wore that hemline in 1989 I saw some girls in that hemline for prom and kind of chuckled to myself. Everything old is new again.

Just curious... Cornell has deferred formal recruitment, don't they? So fall would be COR? Would there be a need for a formal pref type dress for their COR? Some schools do a more formalized COR, but a lot just do more laid back, less formal events, don't they?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been some time since I enjoyed fashion and rush tips from a Cornell sorority:

No satin dresses. No one looks good in satin dresses unless it’s from Betsey Johnson or Dolce & Gabbana, you weigh less than 130 pounds, have three pairs of Spanx on and it’s New Years Eve.

No American Apparel leggings.

No gross plastic shizzzz.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_433491.html

Still rings true in 2012.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 06-30-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

*finger snaps* boom boom
hahaha
Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just curious... Cornell has deferred formal recruitment, don't they? So fall would be COR? Would there be a need for a formal pref type dress for their COR? Some schools do a more formalized COR, but a lot just do more laid back, less formal events, don't they?
Formal rush isn't until spring for the girls, but I've never heard of any informal rush for any Cornell sorority, or at least an informal rush on the same level that some of the fraternities would do. And that's why this topic confused me a bit. Now of course, I'm sure joining a sorority in the fall is possible. This past year, Phi Sigma Sigma took girls in the fall before doing their formal rush in the spring; but that sorority had just established itself on campus.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It looks like lingerie to me.
Haha... you have a point.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
One of my little cousins just graduated from Cornell this past spring. Her opinion; do NOT wear that for recruitment regardless of what the weather is like.
Thanks!
I was already on the fence about it and after I responded to the first four people who replied to my question I decided against it.

Last edited by correa13; 07-02-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Mine wore that hemline in 1989 I saw some girls in that hemline for prom and kind of chuckled to myself. Everything old is new again.

Hehe, it's funny that you mentioned old styles coming back to life. Recently, I was looking at some photos of my mom from the 80s and she had the side shaved hairstyle. Couldn't stop laughing.

Yes, Cornell has deferred formal recruitment. However, they also have Fall Sorority Recruitment for Transfer students. As for your questions pertaining to COR, I'm unsure if that applies to said recruitment.