GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 762
0 members and 762 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2002, 08:13 AM

Post Collegiate members and recommendations/references

There's been a couple questions on here about whether collegiate members can give recs, and it appears every sorority's policy is different. Thought I would start this thread as a reference. Post your policy here (which I will do, when I'm sure of it ).
Old 05-21-2002, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

33: I'm checking on KD policy...but I have a question as well.

Although we all have heard that it is ultimatly the chapters responsibility to get a rec on a PNM, has anyone noticed on some websites the chapters say that a PNM will not be considered without one?

I am helping a girl that is going through at Aurburn and I read many times that they will not accept PNMs without recs...doesn't that seem a little strange? I understand they have tons of PNMs but is that still OK to weed them out that way?

It seems to me that they could miss out on a great woman that may not know that much about recrutiment, I mean I wouldn't of had any recs and would like to think that I could get a bid with my resume and grades speaking highly enough?

Anyone?
Old 05-21-2002, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LexiKD
33: I'm checking on KD policy...but I have a question as well.

Although we all have heard that it is ultimatly the chapters responsibility to get a rec on a PNM, has anyone noticed on some websites the chapters say that a PNM will not be considered without one?

I am helping a girl that is going through at Aurburn and I read many times that they will not accept PNMs without recs...doesn't that seem a little strange? I understand they have tons of PNMs but is that still OK to weed them out that way?

It seems to me that they could miss out on a great woman that may not know that much about recrutiment, I mean I wouldn't of had any recs and would like to think that I could get a bid with my resume and grades speaking highly enough?

Anyone?
LexiKD, you make some good points... However, it's important to remember that when you're a chapter at a big Southern school like Auburn, you have to do anything possible to cut the massive number of rushees going through formal rush down to a more manageable figure. Those rushees without recs are sometimes first to be cut because it is a quick and easy thing for the chapters to decide -- just like if someone doesn't have a decent GPA. It's not a personal decision to make, which makes it easier for the chapters.

I know it sounds harsh, and I'm sure that many good girls fall through the cracks that way -- but it's really not difficult to get a rec if you look hard enough. By doing the smallest bit of research into Greek Life, a girl can find out that a rec is important. I knew next to nothing about sororities when I went through rush, but I still had at least one rec for every organization on my campus.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

DZ: I understand the reasoning, but if it is the chapter's responsibilty is that fair? Or is it not the chapter's responsibility? Do you see what I am saying? We get recs regardless on all PNMs and I guess that's what confuses me...

My school was nothing like that so I get a little confused....I do understand the issue, I couldn't imagine having to rush that many women....it must be hard to have to remember all that info!
Old 05-21-2002, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
What confuses me, is if the school says its the chapters responsibility to get the rec and then cuts girls who didn't get the rec...

My school had this policy--chapter had to get them-- and thank God, because I was 100% clueless going into recruitment.

But if it states in rush booklet in no uncertain terms that the PNM must secure her own recs, then, OK, they've been warned and should be prepared.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:03 PM

Unhappy Yes, LexiKD, I have seen that!

Quote:
Lexi,
I too have seen websites that state that a PNM will not be considered without one.

On one hand, I can see where the sorority is coming from, after all, you would never employ someone without making sure their references checked out (and I don't think sororities are all that different from this analogy). But then again, if someone was a bad apple, I think that would be apparent during the 6-10 week New Member Education (NME) period. Would it be possible to remove a trouble maker during the NME, or are you walking a fine line by that point?

However, what if someone is a foreign student, or from Canada or something and they don't know anyone personally in that sorority? How the heck are they supposed to overcome this?

Yes, it is a less than perfect system, that's for sure.
They almost need 2 tiers of rec's: Recs from Sorority Members and if none is to be found, then the person whould be allowed to submit an Evaluation of Character, if you will...could be done by past teachers, past girl scout leaders, etc. It would be a shame to have great girls fall through the cracks because of this technicality.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DZ: I understand the reasoning, but if it is the chapter's responsibilty is that fair? Or is it not the chapter's responsibility? Do you see what I am saying? We get recs regardless on all PNMs and I guess that's what confuses me...

My school was nothing like that so I get a little confused....I do understand the issue, I couldn't imagine having to rush that many women....it must be hard to have to remember all that info!
I definitely see your point, Lexi. Personally, I think it's wrong of the school to say that it's the chapter's responsibility to obtain recs --- as if the chapters have got the spare time to call up 1500 girls' teachers, church friends, etc. to find out if 1500 Jane Does are going to be good potential candidates for their organization. We all know how hectic Rush is -- so why place more of a burden on the sororities than they already have? Know what I mean?

I think that information should be handed out with every Rush application stating that recs are important and that each individual rushee is responsible for acquiring them. However, I realize this isn't what happens on most campuses, hence the confusion and frustration among those rushees who don't have recs.

Quite frankly, I think the rules should be adjusted a bit to make the rec issue more clear to everyone, rushee and sorority sister alike. Until they are, those of us who are in sororities should stress the importance of recs to our friends who are planning to participate in the Rush process, so that they won't be the ones to fall through the cracks.

My answer isn't a great one, but it's the best that can be done right now with the way Rush rules currently stand.

Greek Love,
dzrose93
Old 05-21-2002, 04:13 PM

To answer the original question...not too sure about DG's policy....but I am pretty sure that it is for Alumnae only.

http://www.deltagamma.org/resource/reports/sponsor.pdf

According to the form, the first page says "(to be used by members of Delta Gamma only)" (no mention of Collegian or Alumnae specific'ness).

But then on the second page, at the end, it says:
"Please clip and send to alumnae immediately after recruitment!" which leads me to believe that alumnae only can write recs. This probably so that this practice is not abused, etc.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I'm going to be HONEST. Despite panhellenic's "position" statement that asserts that it is the responsibility of the chapter to obtain rec's for women (a statement which blows my mind as being completely skewed toward a system that promotes an un-level playing groung that favors young women who are "in the know"---which usually means: comes from a "greek" family or runs in "those" social circles) the facts point directly toward the reality at which LexiKD hints .

At larger (mine included) and other exclusive schools, more often than not, a young woman will be at a severe disadvantage (read released earlier than someone with a rec, or sometimes not even invited to the first round of official "parties") if she expects to compete with the other 1000+ PNM's without a rec. To be fair, I have heard of one situation where a PNM's rec never reached the chapter & she forgot to include a photo slide--which was required in our school's process with her info packet. Two sisters took extreme interest in this PNM, had a photo slide made from the picture she included, and contacted women in her home town to obtain background info amounting to a rec for this young woman. The PNM was, in the end, given a bid and initiated into that chapter.... but, this is the only instance of something like this happening that I have EVER heard of (& I only heard of it because the woman is a good friend of mine)..... That's ONE girl out of the 1,200 young women who rushed that year!

While panhellenic and those who accept and favor that antiquated mentality asserted by their position statement, will tell PNM's that it is taboo to solicit rec's (some say it's ok to ask women you know very well, some say it's not ok to ask at all...... Look, those "rec" forms are easliy accessable to be viewed by anyone from national or local websites, and most of them have a section that asks if the rec was volunteered, or asked for and whether or not the alumna knows this woman and for how long etc...... Why is this info on there if it doesn't matter?!?) I know from personal experience that if you don't KNOW anyone from a certain chapter (and want to do "well" in recruitment with that chapter) that you've simply just got to find an alumna and ask. I did not come from a greek family and had NO idea what I was getting into with recruitment, the first time....... When I decided to do it "right", I searched for alumna from every chapter represented on my campus, provided these women with a resume, pictures, a personal statement (which let them know about my personality, accomplishments, why I wanted to join a sorority and that I understood that I was left with a great disadvantage in my chosen school's recruitment process by not being familiar enough with alumnae from their organization to have rec's volunteered for me) and just asked. I got many, MANY letters and phone calls from these alumnae telling me how much they were impressed by my drive and the assertive position I took making sure I had every opportunity to allow my dreams to become a reality.

So, PNM's if you have a feeling that your school or greek system might be one of the super-competitive ones, don't let anything hold you back! Conventionality only stands because most people accept the "it's just that way, because that's the way it's always been" mentality. If you want a rec, go get it! You can do anything, if you want it, work hard enough, and make sure you are the best potential candidate you can possibly be. With few exceptions, I believe that there is a place for every young woman to succeed and excel in the sorority experience. That's because I believe in the inherent worthiness that exists in every human spirit and that we all carry the responsiblity of offering the successes and experiences that life and whatever deity you believe in has afforded us to others.

Look, I think we can all gather from their posts & agree that many of the young women who come to this site and end up asking questions are pretty much clueless about how it all works. I know I was.... Heck, I'm STILL learning about all of that. I think it's only fair that we're as honest as we can be with them.

To the other Delta Zeta women on GC:

It seems to me, from the forms that actives may, indeed, submit both the Legacy Introduction form and the Personal Reference form. Is this correct? I know that it wouldn't be necessary for an active to submit the form to her own chapter, but would this be acceptable at other schools?

Last edited by AggieDZ; 05-21-2002 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

AggieDZ what you said was very helpful, before I read it I was very unsure about asking alumni for recs but now I think I am going to try emailing everyone I can find until I find someone willing to help!! THANKS!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Now, I know that nobody on our campus ever needed a recommendation for recruitment, but I know there are some schools that do. Our HQs website doesn't have a recommendation form or policy on the site, because it's not used at a majority of our schools (exceptions: UGA, U of F, Miami, etc.).

If you're looking to get a rec for D Phi E, contact the HQs.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This is Delta Gamma's policy:

A potential new member MUST have a "rec" type form filled out on her before she can be given a bid. This form can only be filled out by a DG.....active or alum. It can be an active from ANY University. However, a collegiate can only fill it out up until the first day of Recruitment. It is the chapter's responsibilty to obtain a form, however it would be very helpful for a PNM to find a DG that she knows and let her know she is going through recruitment, so she can fill it out.

I'm sure at some of the big school's girls get cut very soon for not having a form filled out ahead of time. However, at our school this is not true.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta:
"Need a Potential Member Profile Form? The more information that a chapter has about a potential member the better. If you know a woman who will be going through recruitment on an Alpha Xi Delta campus, take a few minutes to fill out a profile form and send it to the chapter. Be sure it gets there in time for recruitment!"
http://www.alphaxidelta.org/pdfs/pmprofile.pdf
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
It think it's a good idea to secure a rec for every chapter you can. But in my opinion, if you have a solid resume/grades and you really connect with your hostess and other members you meet in the first (and subsequent) round(s) and you still get released, just because they didn't have a rec on you, they don't deserve to have you as a sister in the first place.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:23 PM

Collegiate members of Tri Sigma cannot write recs.

Lakers Nation.