GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,386
1 members and 2,385 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

More BS from the wacky world of Arizona

From the Arizona Republic:
A group of artists has been asked to lighten the faces of children depicted in a giant public mural at a Prescott school. The project’s leader says he was ordered to lighten the skin tone after complaints about the children’s ethnicity ….

R.E. Wall, director of Prescott’s Downtown Mural Project, said he and other artists were subjected to slurs from motorists as they worked on the painting at one of the town’s most prominent intersections.
“We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars,” Wall said. “We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics).”

The children depicted on the mural, as we mentioned before but feel compelled to repeat, are little kids who go to the school — “a K-5 school with 380 students and the highest ethnic mix of any school in Prescott. Wall said thousands of town residents volunteered or donated to the project.”
And these children, for the past several months as this happy mural encouraging “green transportation” was being painted by local artists, have been treated to the city of Prescott’s finest citizens driving by and yelling “Nigger” and “Spic” at this school wall painted with pictures of the children who attend the school. And this has been encouraged by a city councilman, Steve Blair, who uses his local radio talk show to rile up these people and demand the mural be destroyed.

And now the faces are being painted white, “because of the controversy.”
Remember where you were, when you could still laugh about teabaggers and racists and Arizonans, because funny time is almost over. If the unemployment keeps up — one in five adult white males has no job and will never have a job again — and people keep walking away from their stucco heaps they can’t afford and the states and cities and counties and towns keep passing their aggressive racist laws to rile up the trash even more, shit’s going to very soon become very bad, and whether it’s the National Guard having wars in the Sunbelt Exurbs against armies of crazy old white people who are finally using their hundreds of millions of guns, or whole Latino neighborhoods burned to the ground the way the Klan used to burn down black neighborhoods a century ago, we are in for a long dark night and no light-colored paint is going to fix that. [AZCentral via Wonkette operative AZW88]

Read more at Wonkette: http://wonkette.com/415809/arizona-s...#ixzz0pw8pvaA7
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

There's a story on this where a guy basically pulls every "i'm not racist but... " line in the book.

If I can find it I'll post it. This was just ridiculous. Although I don't think they're repainting the kids "white" they were "lightening them, making them look like they're entering the light." Or some bullshit like that.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

"The pressure stayed up consistently," Wall said. "We had two months of cars shouting at us."

He attributes the start of the racial controversy to recent comments that Prescott City Councilman Steve Blair made on his KYCA radio talk show about the mural.

On his May 21 show, for instance, Blair said, "I am not a racist individual, but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who’s president of the United States today and based upon the history of this community when I grew up, we had four black families — who I have been very good friends with for years — to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, ’Why?’"

On Wednesday, Blair again emphasized that "I’m not a racist by any stretch of the imagination, but whenever people start talking about diversity, it’s a word I can’t stand."

Blair questions whether the mural is representative of Prescott, noting, "The focus doesn’t need to be on what’s different; the focus doesn’t need to be on the minority all the time."

link

and BTW...the kid that is assumed to be black...is Hispanic

If this keeps up, what's going to happen with some of these kids that winds up going to a college that requires them to have credits in minority studies to graduate?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 06-05-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Talk about a racist article.

Congrats DamonSeid!
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

That's the one DS, "I'm not a racist but...." "We had four black families, who I have been friends with..." "based upon who’s president of the United States today and based upon the history of this community when I grew up,"

Dude needs to learn how to make complete sentences and learn that the line "I'm not a racist but..." is equivalent to "With all due respect..."
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Talk about a racist article.

Congrats DamonSeid!
Ya know, I had a feeling I would see your username over here, making your usual dumb contributions to "racial" discussions.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
the National Guard having wars in the Sunbelt Exurbs against armies of crazy old white people who are finally using their hundreds of millions of guns [AZCentral via Wonkette operative AZW88]

I was lurking on that page because I've never heard of that site before, and I can see why. I'm sorry but any site/article that's against racism and bigotry yet freely uses "white trash" and stereo-types whites as gun owning nazi bigots loses credibility in my eyes.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Ya know, I had a feeling I would see your username over here, making your usual dumb contributions to "racial" discussions.
Have you looked around on that site; the language in some of those posts? Do you not see that it can be polarizing to people not on the " Everyone who is white is evil, racist, bigot, white-trash, Nazi" bandwagon?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Have you looked around on that site; the language in some of those posts? Do you not see that it can be polarizing to people not on the " Everyone who is white is evil, racist, bigot, white-trash, Nazi" bandwagon?
Wonkette has a bias, but there are plenty of other articles about this topic.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was lurking on that page because I've never heard of that site before, and I can see why. I'm sorry but any site/article that's against racism and bigotry yet freely uses "white trash" and stereo-types whites as gun owning nazi bigots loses credibility in my eyes.
Quote:
I agree.

I don't consider that racism, but such bigotry should not be tolerated and is indicative of the ignorant trying to call out ignorance.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Wonkette has a bias, but there are plenty of other articles about this topic.
I know

It was stupid, leave the damn mural alone. He got his 15 seconds of fame and he lost his radio gig, hope he feels it was worth it.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I agree.

I don't consider that racism, but such bigotry should not be tolerated and is indicative of the ignorant trying to call out ignorance.
I don't think ever in my life I've heard or seen or read so much "Us Vs. Them" talk in my life, aren't we supposed to be beyond this by now? It comes from both sides of the spectrum so no, it's not " pissed off middle aged WASPy tea baggers" behind all the contention.

That website, and others like it, IMHO sells fear and mistrust which leads to hatred. White supremacy groups use the same fear mongering techniques as well. These people are different, they have different values, they are holding you back, you are not getting a job/raise because of them.

Mind you I'm not saying that Wonkette is on par with the KKK but they are using the same playbook if you ask me.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think ever in my life I've heard or seen or read so much "Us Vs. Them" talk in my life, aren't we supposed to be beyond this by now?
You need to get out the house more.

Anyway, bigotry doesn't move me either way. I was just co-signing about that website. Racism doesn't require bigotry so I hope prejudice and racial niceties are not what your racism-o-meter (also known as the "Are we there yet?"-o-meter) is based on. I also hope it isn't based on Obama and "some of my bestfriends are Black."
Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You need to get out the house more.

I also hope it isn't based on Obama and "some of my bestfriends are Black."
I'm not racist, my cat is black.

I'm not sure I get the Obama reference. Do you mean the train of thought that racism is dead because we have a black president, or you just don't agree with/like Obama cuz he's black? Nope, I don't subscribe to either.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you mean the train of thought that racism is dead because we have a black president
This. You said you thought we were beyond "this" by now and I don't know why you would think that. Despite how well people have learned to hide their racial and ethnic prejudices, they still express them in more anonymous settings or settings where they feel they are around likeminded others.