GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,215
0 members and 2,215 guests
No Members online

Old 04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation GET ON THE BALL PHILANTHROPY - who has done it?

Hi!
I'm philanthropy chair for my chapter and our philanthropy organization is Children's Miracle Network. Recently, a consultant passed on an easy & fun philanthropy event idea called 'get on the ball'.
From my understanding, the chapter gathers pledges (per signature) and one time donations from businesses and individuals and then they get a GIANT ball they roll around campus. The more signatures they get, the more money they earn from sponsoring events.
I love the idea! I am just unsure of how to efficiently execute it.
If any other chapters have done this event before (or something similar), or have seen other organizations do this event could you answer a few questions?
First of all, how did you gather sponsorships?
I am planning to send out professional packets with information, a flyer, and a donation application to local businesses and our alumnae chapter.
Where did you get the ball?
How long did you do it for? A week? A weekend?

Thanks!!
Peace
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

The USF chapter of ZBT does this philanthropy annually..not sure how successful it is but I sign it every year and there is hardly any room! Its cool to see the bros rolling it around campus
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

The USF chapter of ZBT does this philanthropy annually..not sure how successful it is but I sign it every year and there is hardly any room! Its cool to see the bros rolling it around campus

There are several ZBT chapters and colonies that do this event annually for the Children Miracle Network. I know the following chapters had great sussess with this....
Univ. Of Florida
Univ. Of Maryland
Tufts University
Boston University
Adelphi University
Carneige Mellon Univ.
USC
Univ. Of Washington
SUNY-Oswego
SUNY-Plattsburg
Cal State-Northridge

ZBT:"Inspiring Today's College Men To Become Leaders Of Tomorrow."
Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LocalDGPhi139
Western Connecticut State University's chapter (Zeta Theta) also did it and it turned out great. They did it for one week (4 days maybe?) around campus, and went to local business' to get pledges. I know they had a form they used for pledges, but I don't know where they got it. It's always a big hit with people around campus because our school is mainly a commuter school so advertising for things is hard, but having a giant multi-colored ball rolling around is really eye-catching they got a LOT of support. If you want to ask them anything about it (they started it only last year I think so they can tell you where to get the ball and stuff like that) msg me and I'll get you in contact with them.
Good luck!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU's ZBT did this a few weeks ago and it seemed to be a hit. There was literally NO room left on their ball for anymore signatures by the time they were finished. I believe it lasted a week.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

You may think about starting with the paperwork. Where has the money come from in the last three years? Then ask, "Are there any businesses that are new to the area that need to raise their profile in the local market?" You will need feet on the ground to gather those signatures, maybe a team of between 5 and 20 depending on the size of the area you are trying to cover. You could make a requirement that eveyone in the chapter collect a certain number of signatures.