GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,404
1 members and 1,403 guests
sdneyttso2029

Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I wrote the book on this situation.
*as the heavens open and the angels sing*

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wrote the book on this situation.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Lambda Theta Phi is often cited as the first LGLO. In terms of size, it's the second-largest LGLO, so it's far reaching.

FYI - I hope you know that LGLO = Latino GLO and not Lesbian/Gay Letter organization.
Oh, that's probably what he meant. I was confused by that.

LGLO =/= GLBT (or LGBT, or LGBTQ, or LGBTTQAA)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lambda Theta Phi is often cited as the first LGLO.
The 30s came before the 70s!

Quote:
Lazarus plug?
RERELEASE in SPRING 2011
Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The 30s came before the 70s!
Hence the "often"

Quote:
RERELEASE in SPRING 2011
*waits to add to Amazon shopping cart*

Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Oh, that's probably what he meant. I was confused by that.

LGLO =/= GLBT (or LGBT, or LGBTQ, or LGBTTQAA)
I must admit- I thought it was an LGBT thing. Hence my not understanding.

It doesn't affect my life either way, nor does it affect the core of what I have had to say all along.

This is getting terribly complicated.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

On that note, SenusretI, are you "intelligent" enough to believe that aspirants who don't run away, because of the homophobic tendencies of some members, are idiots?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
It doesn't affect my life either way, nor does it affect the core of what I have had to say all along.
You are overstating how unimportant this story is to you. Is it okay for you to have an opinion without stating how you don't care, don't feel sympathy, and it doesn't impact your life either way?

Quote:
Where's the complication?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You are overstating how unimportant this story is to you. Is it okay for you to have an opinion without stating how you don't care, don't feel sympathy, and it doesn't impact your life either way?

Where's the complication?
All those capital letters getting mixed together. Like some sort of alphabet soup.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I must admit- I thought it was an LGBT thing. Hence my not understanding.

If it's so complicated, maybe you should educate yourself about the situation before passing judgment.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
On that note, SenusretI, are you "intelligent" enough to believe that aspirants who don't run away, because of the homophobic tendencies of some members, are idiots?
No, I am not intelligent enough to believe that.

Gay, bisexual, and even eventually transgender people pledge fraternities all the time. I was one of them. I faced homophobia before and after I joined. I love my fraternity no less and realize that it is the homophobic idiots who are wrong, not me.

As many gay Lambdas as there are, this chapter needs to be dechartered for even asking about orientation.

and LMAO for the rampant ignorance in this thread. I feel like Emily Litela was here.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, I am not intelligent enough to believe that.

Gay, bisexual, and even eventually transgender people pledge fraternities all the time. I was one of them. I faced homophobia before and after I joined. I love my fraternity no less and realize that it is the homophobic idiots who are wrong, not me.

As many gay Lambdas as there are, this chapter needs to be dechartered for even asking about orientation.

and LMAO for the rampant ignorance in this thread. I feel like Emily Litela was here.
LOL.

And whenever you talk about the homophobia that you face, only fools would say "you need to shut up because you knew what you were getting yourself into."

I had a wonderful experience with an older NPHC fraternity member, I'll call him Bryan, who had to correct members of his graduate chapter who are much older in the fraternity than he is. They were making negative comments about applicants who were rumored to be homosexual. Bryan received some backlash but also received some phone calls from members thanking him. Running away (including hiding one's sexual orientation) just because it "makes sense" to some people never solves anything. There have always been homosexual members of fraternities and some of these men have been the biggest homophobes to hide their sexual orientation.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SKdove
All the "cultural" fraternities/sororities at UCR have worse hazing than other organizations; it's really bad..
Maybe he should've joined Sig Ep, Lambda Chi, Pike, Delts, Phi Psi, or AEPi... they all have one or more gay/bi members in their fraternity and there aren't any problems there. Just saying.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If it's so complicated, maybe you should educate yourself about the situation before passing judgment.
The side issues- at least from my perspective- are not important here. They make for good discussion and understanding of different viewpoints, but I do not see how they apply to the immediate situation at hand.

This young man came into a rush process where he was verbally informed in person and given a pretty big clue in writing that he was not making a good decision.

The organization in question deserves much scorn for their overt recruiting practices in contradiction of national policy, and are to be especially disdained for taking someone who at least one of their member had reason to know was not going to find a good home. Leaving aside being politically correct- if an organization really does have certain unspoken prejudices, then all its members need to adhere to them when recruiting others or risk putting those individuals in a bad position in the here and now.

The young man should have- at his age and having the maturity to know himself so well- made a better choice.

What more is there to this story?

Last edited by EE-BO; 11-03-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The side issues- at least from my perspective- are not important here. They make for good discussion and understanding of different viewpoints, but I do not see how they apply to the immediate situation at hand.

This young man came into a rush process where he was verbally informed in person and given a pretty big clue in writing that he was not making a good decision.

The organization in question deserves much scorn for their overt recruiting practices in contradiction of national policy, and are to be especially disdained for taking someone who at least one of their member had reason to know was not going to find a good home.

The young man should have- at his age and having the maturity to know himself so well- made a better choice.

What more is there to this story?
From the article it seems like he was prepared to receive a little flack, but that public humiliation for his sexual orientation is more than a little flack.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx