GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,548
0 members and 2,548 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Jon, when I say things like "before somebody stupid says something, I'm not saying..." that means not to ask the stupid question I mentioned.
Shiner-Many of your postings of your thoughts/beliefs come very close to it........I have several family members and friends who served our country in several wars and placing "College Life" and "Close Combat" even in the same park is just wrong....many have less than pure positive thoughts about the experience......as others have said, when I am with my Brothers or other Greeks, we talk about what we did together rather than pledgeship. And if that matter comes up-talk about the activities of other GLO's during hell week(s).....and just how dumb they were..........
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2006, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I'm sure our HQ would like to hear about it, but hopefully they won't. Nobody really enjoys talking to them anyhow.
Shiner and Bows&Toes:
Some Nationals just might know and be aware of more that you really care to think or believe that they do...........and just may do more.........
Old 08-08-2006, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Jon, well perhaps you should go back and READ. I said, I wasnt comparing pledgeship to military service, but that the theory of bonds being build under stressful situations still applies. Literacy. Try it.

I'm sure nationals knows more than we think. However, they don't seem to care.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Jon, well perhaps you should go back and READ. I said, I wasnt comparing pledgeship to military service, but that the theory of bonds being build under stressful situations still applies. Literacy. Try it.

I'm sure nationals knows more than we think. However, they don't seem to care.
Shiner-I have read just about ALL of your postings and still stand by what I said. And in what I believe. And as I have said in the past, we have very different beliefs and backgrounds.

And note what I said about Nationals-I did not say all. And we still do not know who yours is and never will for any number of reasons. All we know is that you enjoy the coverage that they provide and will provide come the day of reconging for your old chapter.....and some posters seem to not understand that others have interests in the actions of chapters. Yes Nationals PR people, their "bean counters" and thier RM's have an interest but so do the Schools people. Just because National 'does not know' or "is not told' does not mean that the school is in the dark.

And in this day and age, someone is going to do something. Either as a proactive move or reactive move.

And just because a Chapter may be a BHOC with a large active alumni group may not be of any help. May even hurt it as the Big, Importaint older Alumni Brothers most likly know, from the real business world that the days of Boys will be Boys, Greeks will be Greeks have changed. Yes, many will support a re-build, a Beta but in a different mold. As you may learn to understand in Law School.

And Shiner-I had no intention to say that you " disrespecting the military" in any way. Just that I truly believe that the College Experience/Life should have no connection at all to Military type "Close Combat" experience. Nothing like surviving Pearl Habor, The Death March, or just the Battle of Iron Bottom Sound. Or landing on Omaha Beach, then fighting though The Bulge and then being tasked to go land on the Home Islands of Japan. Or fighting in Nam, against people that you did not always see or understand and with one hand tied behind your back......

Shiner-you made that connection. That one must use the theory of bonds being build under stressful situations.

Every member of a GLO that I know, never had a negitive type of bonding, a overly stressful pledging or pledgeship. It was a mostly positive, joining of the Brotherhood.

And as I said before, we talk down on the groups that did otherwise.

And yes, my explainations may be just a bit extrem but Shiner sometimes yours are too.......and other times, you just lay out opinions as "facts" with nothing to back them up.......

Last edited by jon1856; 08-08-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, I mean when we went to convention, we were going to the bars with the Ole Miss and UGA guys. If there were two national fraternities having convention in the same place, it wouldnt surprise me to see the two auburn chapters hanging out together at the bar instead of their respective national fraternities.
Exactly.

We usually go out with the Alabama, Auburn, and UGA guys. It was weird, some guys that are apparently our brothers from like Minnesota or something invited us to a keg party. We respectfully declined and decided to go to the bars with the SEC guys.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Jon, if you understand, then don't try and come at me as though I'm disrespecting the military. I made quite clear my reasoning.

I think it is funny how everyone on here loves to warn us about how our time is gonna come...You'd think we were beating up pledges for sport. Some of the country's best chapters are in the south, and their HQ also happens to ignore many instances of purposeful "hazing" at those chapters. I don't think that is a coincidence.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Jon, if you understand, then don't try and come at me as though I'm disrespecting the military. I made quite clear my reasoning.

I think it is funny how everyone on here loves to warn us about how our time is gonna come...You'd think we were beating up pledges for sport. Some of the country's best chapters are in the south, and their HQ also happens to ignore many instances of purposeful "hazing" at those chapters. I don't think that is a coincidence.
Shiner-I made a editororial correction to my prior posting which you may not have seen.

But this posting I find rather funny: As per your own prior postings, you are an Alumni of a House not a Chapter as you have indicated several times that you have no need for your National.

Yet you speak as a spokesperson for everyone "Some of the Best Chapters.....HQ's ignore.......And just how do you know all these FACTS????

And judging from your postings, one could make a call that you do beat your plegdes for sport or just for sake the good old days........
Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

No you couldnt, because I've repeatedly said that beating pledges isnt the hazing I value.

Last edited by shinerbock; 08-09-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856
Shiner-I made a editororial correction to my prior posting which you may not have seen.

But this posting I find rather funny: As per your own prior postings, you are an Alumni of a House not a Chapter as you have indicated several times that you have no need for your National.

Yet you speak as a spokesperson for everyone "Some of the Best Chapters.....HQ's ignore.......And just how do you know all these FACTS????

And judging from your postings, one could make a call that you do beat your plegdes for sport or just for sake the good old days........

Actually, he has said repeatedly that he doesn't condone beating pledges and things of that nature........reading comprehension is a good thing.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
Actually, he has said repeatedly that he doesn't condone beating pledges and things of that nature........reading comprehension is a good thing.
True-but read his post-all I did was write it again.......]
But just not beating a pledge does not mean that one is not hazing him or her........"Beating" does not have to be phy. in nature......
Old 08-09-2006, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No you couldnt, because I've repeatedly said that beating pledges is the hazing I value.
Brother Tex-just in case you missed this slip.......Shiner-while you and I can see somethings and not others, I do believe that you would never have laid an accual hand on one of your pledges. But....
Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Well that was obviously supposed to be "isnt." As for other types of "beatings" I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought that sentence was sarcasm
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

haha, I guess it could have been.