GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,537
1 members and 1,536 guests
navane

Old 06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Teachers College

I will finally be graduating next year and I have decided I want to go to teachers college.
I'm not looking for masters programs. I'm looking for a certification program so I can teach elementary school.
Where did the teachers on GC go to school. I would like some the names of school that have good programs so I can do a little research.

Thanks,

Emily
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2003, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My fianceé just finished up at Cal Poly SLO's University Center for Teacher Education. I don't know how it ranks among other credentialing programs, but Cal Poly itself has a very good reputation in general.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Christian Brother's University has a good acelerated program that if you stay steady you can be done in a year. A little over a year if you want certification and a master's. They are located in Memphis, TN.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:07 PM

Winthrop University has the best teaching school in the Southeast. Every teacher that comes out of Winthrop's education department practically gets a job right out of school.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey lady pi phi,
i just graduated from u of t last year, couldn't get into teacher's colleges in ontario and so i'm heading south of the border to buffalo. there are 2 teacher's colleges there, D'Youville College and Medaille College. They're pretty expensive (in terms of Canadian $$) but you can get your certificate in a year AND it's accepted by the Ontario College of Teachers. As for other schools in the states, you'd have to check to see if their degrees are accepted in ontario. (i'm assuming you want to teach in ontario and not the states here). also, you can do your practice teaching in ontario, saving you even more $$$.
anyway, good luck with your research. feel free to pm me if you have any q's.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by scpiano211
Winthrop University has the best teaching school in the Southeast. Every teacher that comes out of Winthrop's education department practically gets a job right out of school.
I don't agree with you on the best program.

I think the honor of best education program in the South goes to Vanderbilt. I think the best public education program is probably UNC, UGA or UF.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just stating my opinion.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:45 AM

I am just offering a peaceful fact. I just based my statement on the national ranking system and Winthrop has the #1 education program in the southeast. I am sure that the programs you mentioned are wonderful programs! :-D

I am not trying to start anything either just letting you know what Winthrop was ranked nationally.

Last edited by ztawinthropgirl; 06-07-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Thanks everyone for responding. I will definitly check these school out.
I can't get into Teachers college in Ontario either, and so far it looks like the University of Calgary is the only Canadian school I have a shot at.
I don't really have any desire to teach in Ontario, but I would like my qualifications to be recognized in Ontario in case I do decide to want to teach here.

Again, thanks everyone.

Emily
Old 06-08-2003, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am just offering a peaceful fact. I just based my statement on the national ranking system and Winthrop has the #1 education program in the southeast.
What national ranking system is that? I visited the U.S. News and World Report rankings and I found that my guesses were correct. Vanderbilt is ranked #4 in the country (tied with Columbia), UGA and UF are tied at #27 in the country and UNC is right behind at #31.

Maybe Winthrop has a speciality that is individually ranked highly?

At any rate, if you would like to look at the USNAWR rankings, please click here.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:25 AM

It was a different report than that one. :-) I mean I am not trying to get in an argument. They're just different reports with different results. Chill OUT!
Old 06-08-2003, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cluey
What national ranking system is that? I visited the U.S. News and World Report rankings and I found that my guesses were correct. Vanderbilt is ranked #4 in the country (tied with Columbia), UGA and UF are tied at #27 in the country and UNC is right behind at #31.

Maybe Winthrop has a speciality that is individually ranked highly?

At any rate, if you would like to look at the USNAWR rankings, please click here.
Cluey,

I think the rankings you are quoting are for graduate programs in education. I think this thread was directed towards obtaining a teaching certificate or an undergrad degree in education.

Andrea

Last edited by houstonchica; 06-08-2003 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It was a different report than that one. :-) I mean I am not trying to get in an argument. They're just different reports with different results. Chill OUT!
I'm chill. If my last post came off rudely, I do apologize. It's intent was not meant to be offensive in any way, shape or form.

I was just interested in finding out what ranking system you were going by. I am looking for a program to finish my certificate. If there is information available on those programs, I'd be intrigued to see it.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure of its ranking, but Brown, in Providence RI has an excellent Masters of Arts in Teaching program...one year, fairly intensive (I think it also requires the summer too!), but you graduate certified, and I know people who have gone to private and public schools upon graduation. Their focus is on public education, so just because it's a private school doesn't mean that's the only thing they care about.

Best of luck!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Vanderbilt/Peabody

Peabody (Vanderbilt) also offers the accelerated master's/certification. The degree is widely known.
Silver
Old 07-28-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cluey
I don't agree with you on the best program.

I think the honor of best education program in the South goes to Vanderbilt. I think the best public education program is probably UNC, UGA or UF.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just stating my opinion.

Hope this helps!
I second that....My bf who graduated from there believed all of WU's hype too. I applied there and they want you to get a SECOND DEGREE in education that can take anywhere from 2 years or longer depending on how much credit THEY decide to give you from your previous DEGREE.