GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,318
1 members and 1,317 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva
Be original and creative. Just put some thought into it, it can not be that hard.

As for the handsign, you would want something unique that represents *your* org. I just checked out a schools 2006 NPC Recruitment page (it was an SEC school, don't remember which one) and some of the women were posing with handsigns that represented their org. They looked nothing like anything that I've seen with the NPHC. Each chapter was unique and creative.

As for the colors, each org uses a unique shade of a color. Go back about 20 pages of this thread and I gave an example using DG, DZ and Phi Mu -each use some version of pink, but the exact shade is slightly different and unique to that org.

Like I said - just put some thought into it. It is not that hard. But, if your org is about copying other orgs, then I can see where this is a problem.
What if two orgs already have the same colors and hand signs. For instance let's say you had an org started in 1890 and had pink and black as the colors and the peace sign as their handsign. Then in 1930 another org comes along that is a part of a different council that may have never heard of the first org and then choses pink/black as their colors and the peace sign as their hand sign. So in 2006 both orgs end up on the same campus... should one really go back and change their colors and sign just because the other one has it? That doesn't seem fair. Granted it would be odd, but most likely one org would be black, the other would be white and may have really not had to come in contact with each other before that point.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:20 AM
GreekChat Member

IMO,.....Chances are, one org is gonna give. Each is gonna most likely switch up and begin to do something different that sets them apart from each other. Thats how I see org traditions vary from campus to campus and region to region (sometimes).

Of course something COMPLETELY different could happen, but that's what I've seen.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul D-Psi-ple
IMO,.....Chances are, one org is gonna give. Each is gonna most likely switch up and begin to do something different that sets them apart from each other. Thats how I see org traditions vary from campus to campus and region to region (sometimes).

Of course something COMPLETELY different could happen, but that's what I've seen.
And if one org gave, it'd be quite unfortunate. What the public sees, is not what our own orgs know. I'm not sure how NPHC works, but NPCs colors have a meaning behind them. They were chosen for a reason by the founders so it'd be disrespectful to change them. I say use it as a source of unity... it's something that two totally different orgs have in common!

KLTC
Old 06-17-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I'm not saying change colors or anything that hold a specific fraternal meaning to the org, but things like hand signs and other symbols that might be unofficial to that org might change. I don't know of any org that has an "official" hand sign.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Most NPC sororities have an official handshake.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you not read through this entire thread? I think I've covered enough examples and scenarios for one to figure out my opinion on an issue such as this issue.

But, since you asked, here goes, *again*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallycommitte
What if two orgs already have the same colors
Two orgs do: KATheta and APhiA. Both have black and gold as their colors. No problem there.

Quote:
and hand signs.
Actually, the hand sign for my org is very similar to the hand sign of the Univ. of Houston. They only differ slightly by the position of the hand. For UH the fingers are pointed vertically and for SGRho the fingers are pointed horizontally. No problem there.

Quote:
For instance let's say you had an org started in 1890 and had pink and black as the colors and the peace sign as their handsign. Then in 1930 another org comes along that is a part of a different council that may have never heard of the first org and then choses pink/black as their colors and the peace sign as their hand sign. So in 2006 both orgs end up on the same campus... should one really go back and change their colors and sign just because the other one has it? That doesn't seem fair. Granted it would be odd, but most likely one org would be black, the other would be white and may have really not had to come in contact with each other before that point.
Where have you been? The knowledge and awareness of greek orgs knowing about each other has been, and is fairly common. Greek orgs do not exist in a vacuum. If I recall some of my greek org history, and the members of this org can correct me if I am wrong. But, as I recall, ADPi did not start out as ADPi. They started out as ADPhi (I think to reflect Aldephian). Once the ladies (the Founders I presume) realized that there was a fraternity already established as ADPhi, they (the current ADPi) changed their name to ADPi. That was back in the 1850's.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00
I'm not sure how NPHC works, but NPCs colors have a meaning behind them.
Our colors do have meaning to us. Most greek orgs that I know of select colors, symbols and rituals for a particular meaning, to them. I don't think any group has said 'Hey, let's just pull stuff out of our butt just 'cause'....
Old 06-17-2006, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva
Our colors do have meaning to us. Most greek orgs that I know of select colors, symbols and rituals for a particular meaning, to them. I don't think any group has said 'Hey, let's just pull stuff out of our butt just 'cause'....
That's what I was meaning. I figured it'd be the same way but didn't wana assume. We're all alike in more ways than we realize

KLTC
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Formal recruitment starts today for Tri Delta at Howard, Bid Day is Saturday morning.

Psyche.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
^^^I was like LOL

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Senruset, you're going to Hell.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKittyCat View Post
Hopefully in a handbasket...with rims!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Psyche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKittyCat View Post

Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

haha, funniest bump ive seen in a minute. i was bout to say...

and i so dont remember starting this thread.