GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,794
1 members and 1,793 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post

I mean really...can we move on now???
I answered your damn question and then brought it back to topic.

You're welcome.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
It's sad to see people saying that an American leader shouldn't show respect to leaders of other countries. Perhaps that is why the US is held in such contempt around the world. Perhaps this move by OBama to show some respect is why he has such favor around the world with other leaders.

I think American arrogance is about to be nipped int he bud with this new administration and it is refreshing.
Some of us like the way that America is and don't want their country to be viewed as "equal" to a horrible place like Saudi Arabia.

What has all of this "favor" with world leaders accomplished exactly? He failed to get other countries to pass huge stimulus bills and he failed to get troop commitments to Afghanistan. At least Chavez likes him...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
I answered your damn question and then brought it back to topic.

You're welcome.
Get it right...I didn't ask the question. I amswered, you co signed.

so Thank YOU....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
An American citizen does not bow to any foreign leader; the American Flag does not dip to any foreign power.
Except between naval ships of two countries passing each other; the ensign is dipped as they pass, but naval protocol requires the 'dip' to be returned.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSigOU View Post
Except between naval ships of two countries passing each other; the ensign is dipped as they pass, but naval protocol requires the 'dip' to be returned.
The keyword there is 'returned.' Without actually looking it up I believe the Naval regulation allows US vessels to acknowledge another vessels ensign being dipped. It's just a way of communicating that they've been recognized. In short they dip to us, we don't dip to them.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar281 View Post
The keyword there is 'returned.' Without actually looking it up I believe the Naval regulation allows US vessels to acknowledge another vessels ensign being dipped. It's just a way of communicating that they've been recognized. In short they dip to us, we don't dip to them.
Right, I would think it would be similar to a subordinate saluting a superior. Subordinate salutes, superior acknowledges the salute by returning the same.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
Right, I would think it would be similar to a subordinate saluting a superior. Subordinate salutes, superior acknowledges the salute by returning the same.
=================

Sort of off subject, but I always pictured the salute not so much as a subordinate to superior thing but rather as a greeting among soldiers. The junior salutes first as a matter of courtesy and custom but I have often initiated the salute to junior troops if I see them first. The very senior officers for whom I have worked suggested that we view it as a private greeting among "the Brotherhood of the Sword" and I have often seen General Officers and Colonels initiating salutes as a greeting, not as a demonstration of superiority.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Some of us like the way that America is and don't want their country to be viewed as "equal" to a horrible place like Saudi Arabia.

What has all of this "favor" with world leaders accomplished exactly? He failed to get other countries to pass huge stimulus bills and he failed to get troop commitments to Afghanistan. At least Chavez likes him...
Who said anything about the country being viewed as equal? I simply said there is nothing wrong with American leaders showing other world leaders some respect. The fact that you and many others don't even think American leaders should do that speaks volumes. People who are secure don't need to spend time trying to show superiority or disrespect to others they don't agree with. It's called being the bigger person. More people should try it.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear God,

Please let this thread die again.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Who said anything about the country being viewed as equal? I simply said there is nothing wrong with American leaders showing other world leaders some respect. The fact that you and many others don't even think American leaders should do that speaks volumes. People who are secure don't need to spend time trying to show superiority or disrespect to others they don't agree with. It's called being the bigger person. More people should try it.
Quit whining.

There are plenty of ways to "show respect" other than kneeling on the fucking ground to Middle Eastern royalty.

Nobody is saying that the President shouldn't "show respect" towards other world leaders.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWSP View Post
Quit whining.

There are plenty of ways to "show respect" other than kneeling on the fucking ground to Middle Eastern royalty.

Nobody is saying that the President shouldn't "show respect" towards other world leaders.
Whining? I'm not the one griping about a silly little bow. I think you statement about whining would best be directed towards those who actually were upset about something that trivial. lol
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Whining? I'm not the one griping about a silly little bow. I think you statement about whining would best be directed towards those who actually were upset about something that trivial. lol
Cool.......so I guess you accepted my other comments, realizing that your previous statements were beyond idiotic.

You're sitting here talking about this being "trivial"....yet you take the time to type out full posts, asserting that this was a "move" on the part of Obama to show world leaders that he is "nipping American arrogance in the bud." Shit, you basically asserted that his bow could be a reason why he is in such favor around the world with world leaders.

Looks like it's not a trivial act for you, who agrees with what he did.

It's only trivial for those who are embarrassed and surprised by Lord Savior of America Obama and his World Tour of Appeasement and Apology. I mean shit, all of his ass kissing and gift giving put him in such high favor with world leaders that they denied him stimulus funds, questioned his spending bills during a recession, and denied him troops for the war.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWSP View Post
Cool.......so I guess you accepted my other comments, realizing that your previous statements were beyond idiotic.

You're sitting here talking about this being "trivial"....yet you take the time to type out full posts, asserting that this was a "move" on the part of Obama to show world leaders that he is "nipping American arrogance in the bud." Shit, you basically asserted that his bow could be a reason why he is in such favor around the world with world leaders.

Looks like it's not a trivial act for you, who agrees with what he did.

It's only trivial for those who are embarrassed and surprised by Lord Savior of America Obama and his World Tour of Appeasement and Apology. I mean shit, all of his ass kissing and gift giving put him in such high favor with world leaders that they denied him stimulus funds, questioned his spending bills during a recession, and denied him troops for the war.
No, there was nothing idiotic about my statements, but I can't say the same for you. lol And when I use the word trivial, I mean in the sense that the situation was not a big deal, nor was it something that deserved a whole thread of people griping and complaining. He bowed. Good deal. So what? Move on. No harm would come from a quick bow. There are other things that are more newsworthy than Obama just showing respect for another leader.