GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,133
2 members and 1,131 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Finding lost Sisters

Any advice on finding Sisters who have moved/changed names/changed emails/etc. since the last time we had their contact info updated?

I've already found a good number of the ladies I was looking for through Facebook and MySpace, and a couple more on classmates.com, but outside of that it's very difficult. I don't know much about them, and a few of them have very common names which isn't any help!

Is becoming a PI my only option lol
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I've been on a quest finding lost alums from the active chapters in my district. Facebook has been really helpful, but also a good idea, which I was doing, was to have your list of alum names and email them out to other alums that you already have contact info for. Those alums may have kept in touch with some of your lost alums and they can tell you their email addresses and/or street addresses to.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM

I don't know what sorority you're in, but I know that my sorority has an online database of sisters on the Sisters Only section of our national website. You could try searching there.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

We just had a workshop on this at the APO national convention.

Assuming you have the initiation information for the members, you could always ask the women you HAVE found if they happen to know where Sister So-and-So is now.

Example. You track down Sister Jane Doe and know she's from the Fall 81 pledge class. You can't find Sister Sarah Smith from the same pledge class. So.... ask Jane Doe! Jane may be able to give you some clues like her husband's name, last known hometown, etc.

There are also those free internet phone books (and of course I have forgotten the names of them, but zabasearch may be one). Take a weekend and call people you THINK may be your sisters based on the research you did. (Your sorority database, yearbooks, school alumni database, asking pledge sisters, then using zabasearch)

It could be a lot of work, and you might get some people who either are the wrong person or don't want to be contacted. Just be sure to identify yourself FIRST and state up front that you're updating your records and would like to send a newsletter or something.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to echo what Senusret I said about Zabasearch.

http://www.zabasearch.com/

I also like Yahoo's People Search.

http://people.yahoo.com/
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 PM

Try going through your school's alumni office instead of your national HQ. Many people keep their address current through their alma mater even if they don't thru their GLO.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I don't know what sorority you're in, but I know that my sorority has an online database of sisters on the Sisters Only section of our national website. You could try searching there.
We do have that, which is how I know at least their names and when they initiated. The trouble is that the people I'm looking for are the ones who haven't been updated in years!

Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 01-03-2009, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
We just had a workshop on this at the APO national convention.

Assuming you have the initiation information for the members, you could always ask the women you HAVE found if they happen to know where Sister So-and-So is now.

Example. You track down Sister Jane Doe and know she's from the Fall 81 pledge class. You can't find Sister Sarah Smith from the same pledge class. So.... ask Jane Doe! Jane may be able to give you some clues like her husband's name, last known hometown, etc.

There are also those free internet phone books (and of course I have forgotten the names of them, but zabasearch may be one). Take a weekend and call people you THINK may be your sisters based on the research you did. (Your sorority database, yearbooks, school alumni database, asking pledge sisters, then using zabasearch)

It could be a lot of work, and you might get some people who either are the wrong person or don't want to be contacted. Just be sure to identify yourself FIRST and state up front that you're updating your records and would like to send a newsletter or something.

Good luck!
I have done some of that, though not as much as I would like yet. But it is on my list of things to try!

Gonna try last known addresses and phone numbers first, then move on to asking people from the same or nearby classes. (Some whole classes are on the list, we're small)

Thanks everyone for the great advice
Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Try going through your school's alumni office instead of your national HQ. Many people keep their address current through their alma mater even if they don't thru their GLO.
Are the alumni offices willing to give out that information? That idea has gone by me before, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to obtain through those means.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_bm001 View Post
Are the alumni offices willing to give out that information? That idea has gone by me before, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to obtain through those means.
It depends on the school. I went to Georgetown and although they are grateful when you give THEM info, they never provide anything in reverse. Their prime directive is to be the only university entity providing info to the alums.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_bm001 View Post
I did this for a reunion (held near campus) and the only thing we were asked to do was let one of the guys from the Alumni Office come & speak at the dinner for 10 minutes. Honestly, it all depends on the person you talk to. Some schools are finally starting to realize that even if they aren't big on Greeks, many alums remember their Greek experience the most fondly and if they reconnect with their brothers and sisters, it'll give them a good feeling about the school (and make them more likely donors) as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I did this for a reunion (held near campus) and the only thing we were asked to do was let one of the guys from the Alumni Office come & speak at the dinner for 10 minutes. Honestly, it all depends on the person you talk to. Some schools are finally starting to realize that even if they aren't big on Greeks, many alums remember their Greek experience the most fondly and if they reconnect with their brothers and sisters, it'll give them a good feeling about the school (and make them more likely donors) as well.
That might actually work out really well, if they'll go for it. It will be our 20th anniversary this spring, and most of the ladies I am looking for are from the founding school