GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,499
1 members and 2,498 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
Dangle Question

Hey! So I was looking at dangles on HJ Greek, and I saw the scholarship dangle (the pearl). Apparently no one in my chapter knows much about dangles, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what our requirement is for getting that particular dangle.. I tried searching the boards, but it seems to be a different GPA requirement for every sorority.

Thanks!

Last edited by frangiblefacade; 03-07-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Your best bet is to ask someone on your advisory board or at HQ what is appropriate. Some chapters get WAY into dangles for everything under the sun, some don't use them or chapter guards at all.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with 33. I thought I remember it being a 4.0, but I've only ever met one person that was REALLY into dangles, and she was the National Ritual Chair at the time.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
Alrighty, I can do that! My chapter is just under a year old, so everyone is kind of new to this stuff, and I think I might actually be the only person who is really interested in dangles and what not. Thanks guys
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Phi Mu actually gives the pearls to 4.0's, as in, the foundation or the national org (I can't remember which) pays for them to encourage scholarship.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're only a year old, now would be the time to set your traditions about the use of dangles. I would have said the scholarship chair, VP, whatever she's called in your chapter would choose to buy it for herself as a member of the executive board. It never occurred to me to get one as a reward for achieving a 4.0 - that whole 4.0 concept being a little foreign in my college career!

My chapter never paid any attention to what dangles the members wore and it was maybe 50/50 on members wearing them. On a similar subject, I am strongly considering removing my chapter guard from my quill. That little pin is too small for my old eyes! Or in lieu of that, I may get a fancy new quill and leave my plain one with the chapter guard.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
If you're only a year old, now would be the time to set your traditions about the use of dangles.
Just to be clear - it's up to the chapter to decide if they're going to use dangles or not, but they don't get to re-define what each dangle stands for...there are National protocols for who can have what.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

That may be sorority specific, or possibly has been clarified over the years. Back in my day, there was nobody telling us what dangles we could have or noticing if we had this or that dangle. If you wanted one you went to the Greek stuff store and bought one. I guess we saw it as a charm bracelet of sorts. You'd be a HUGE dork for buying one that you didn't qualify for, but that would have been nobody's business but your own.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I hope it's OK for a non-ASA to chime in here....

On my campus, there were only two sororities who used dangles. In our Chi Omega chapter, only the top 6 or 7 officers received them. I believe the chapter bought them -- a budgeted item. In the ADPi chapter, almost every member had a dangle or two or three. They must have given them to committee chairs, etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that it would be ridiculous to buy ones you don't qualify for - and nobody is probably going to call you on it, but my point was that it's still standardized and it's not kosher for the YZ chapter to decide (for example) hey - that lion is cool, our chapter is going to give it out for getting 86567 service hours in a semester. The Lion is specific to the Parlimentarian (I only know that because I was).