GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,398
1 members and 1,397 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Conventions

Is it just me or is the Republican convention really boring?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Banned

No it's only you! And I don't think Republicans will care much for whether you a Democrat voter would find it exciting.

To me here are the highlights so far:

Former NYC Mayor Ed Kotch saying he was a Democrat and that he would vote for Bush.

McCain talking about the truth of war and how people like Moore made Iraq seem like a playground full of happy kids.

My favorite point is right now on TV with Rudolph Giuliani talking about how September 11 was not the beginning of terrorism. The attack on Olympic athletes and the attacks on the Achilles cruise ship where they killed an American were just some of the examples of how Europe bowed to terrorism and released the prisoners.

4 More years!!! They belittled Reagan and Churchill and they are trying to do it to Bush. 4 more years!!!

-Rudey
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 PM
cutiepatootie

No violetgirl your right! it is a real snooze fest going on in NYC right now. It should pick up , I HOPE, either tomorrow or the next night
Old 08-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cutiepatootie
No violetgirl your right! it is a real snooze fest going on in NYC right now. It should pick up , I HOPE, either tomorrow or the next night
Coming from the woman who says she votes on the Democratic ballot and for Kerry, yet she's a Republican.

-Rudey
--But since she has me on ignore and still reads my posts I'm sure she'll be upset at this.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Unregistered-

My friend who's a delegate said that they've sold out of their "KEOKI W. 2004" t-shirts. KEOKI is "George" in Hawaiian.

I haven't really been paying much attention to the Convention, but I was flipping through the channels and I saw my Lt. Gov, his wife, and one of my university's regents acting like idiots. Hi, you don't know how to dance.

Even my manly Gov. Linda Lingle (temporary convention chairwoman) was bleh.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

I have a question. Maybe DeltAlum knows the answer.

Do you have to pay to have a convention covered on tv? Do they pay you? How does it work?

Also how many networks was the DNC covered on as opposed to the RNC? RNC coverage seems light but maybe it's because of my region.

-Rudey
Old 08-31-2004, 12:47 AM
cutiepatootie

isn't the "ignore" button a rather useful tool? it makes it peaceful to ignore fools who have to top everything you say especially when your not even talking to them directly on a thread.

99% of the time i ignore you RUDEy because well basically you are rude...but i just happen to see what you said .....

for your info.....i can be one party and vote for another if i feel i want to ...my choice, my decision! A lot of republicans are voting for Kerry ....not just me!

go back and insult me as you normally do!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
isn't the "ignore" button a rather useful tool? it makes it peaceful to ignore fools who have to top everything you say especially when your not even talking to them directly on a thread.

99% of the time i ignore you RUDEy because well basically you are rude...but i just happen to see what you said .....

for your info.....i can be one party and vote for another if i feel i want to ...my choice, my decision! A lot of republicans are voting for Kerry ....not just me!

go back and insult me as you normally do!
No you go back to not making sense. You are not a Republican. What makes you a Republican? You say you have me on ignore and then reply to me. What a joke.

-Rudey
Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

My favorite point is right now on TV with Rudolph Giuliani talking about how September 11 was not the beginning of terrorism. The attack on Olympic athletes and the attacks on the Achilles cruise ship where they killed an American were just some of the examples of how Europe bowed to terrorism and released the prisoners.

4 More years!!! They belittled Reagan and Churchill and they are trying to do it to Bush. 4 more years!!!

-Rudey
Oh yeah Europe bows to terrorism I'm sure that they'd be happy to hear that - so the years fighting the IRA, ETA, Red Brigade, Black October, Militant Anarchists, 17 November, Red Army Faction, The Provos, Terra Lliure, ELA, and the plethora of other groups that have been commiting terrorist acts for decades now. No September 11th wasn't the beginning of terrorism, but unfortunately a continuation of global phenomenom that has been going on since before the Roman Empire.

Psst... the greatest attacks against Churchill was for his political "flip-flopping" and accusations made against his military service (that he inflated tales of heroism or danger)... funny you should hold to him as an example.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 08-31-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
Oh yeah Europe bows to terrorism I'm sure that they'd be happy to hear that - so the years fighting the IRA, ETA, Red Brigade, Black October, Militant Anarchists, 17 November, Red Army Faction, The Provos, Terra Lliure, ELA, and the plethora of other groups that have been commiting terrorist acts for decades now. No September 11th wasn't the beginning of terrorism, but unfortunately a continuation of global phenomenom that has been going on since before the Roman Empire.

Psst... the greatest attacks against Churchill was for his political "flip-flopping" and accusations made against his military service (that he inflated tales of heroism or danger)... funny you should hold to him as an example.
Actually first of all, you're Canadian and not American. You have absolutely no voice in our elections nor our party politics.

Second of all this was discussed in Giuliani's speech. He discussed how Europe and the world was soft on terrorism and had allowed it to grow. They only fought it when it was directed at them and only them. The two examples given by Giuliani of the olympics and the achilles ship are good examples.

And again I didn't bring up Churchill, that was brought up in a speech. And yes they talked ill of him too. I don't care about Canadian politics but I am sure you can talk with other Canadians about your own politics at this time. Thanks.

-Rudey
--Take care.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
i ENJOYED the convention last night. it was the first one i actually sat through and watched from the beginning. snaps to john mccain and rudy giuliani. they had great speeches.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I really liked Giuliani and McCain's speeches. There was a picture on the front page of the "Boston Metro" this morning with Moore flashing the loser sign to McCain. Absolutely priceless, so mature of him.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I have a question. Maybe DeltAlum knows the answer.

Do you have to pay to have a convention covered on tv? Do they pay you? How does it work?

Also how many networks was the DNC covered on as opposed to the RNC? RNC coverage seems light but maybe it's because of my region.

-Rudey
Two good questions.

No, the parties don't have to pay to have the convention covered. It has always been a huge expense that the networks have handled.

(ETA, nor do the networks pay the parties. It has always been considered a "news" event)

The "three" major networks have threatened for the past several conventions to drop "gavel to gavel" coverage, because as the conventions have become little more than highly produced "program length commercials" the news value has diminished. Consider that this year, both candidates were known well before the conventions started. In the early days of convention coverage, that was generally the "big" story. In some ways, by making the conventions so "slick," both parties have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

In terms of coverage, NBC, ABC and CBS all decided to allow one hour per night for convention coverage. Remarkably enough, each party managed to schedule a very high profile event in those hours.

I think that the cable news channels have allowed themselves more flexibility than the broadcast networks -- but they have much less to lose, viewer wise. The conventions have been huge money and ratings losers for years. I'm not totally sure, but I believe that only C-SPAN committed to true "gavel to gavel" coverage this year.

(Again ETA, that until the last set of conventions hundreds of local stations have sent reporters. That dropped off dramatically last time, and the same thing happened for this year. As a result, the affilliate news services have scaled way back.)

As a side note, I've worked conventions and my most vivid memory has nothing to do with speeches, etc. -- but the "din" (the background noise is incredible -- even when major speeches are being given) and the masses of moving color looking down at the floor. It's almost sensory overload. Kind of like a bad acid trip might have been -- in more ways than one.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 08-31-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
for your info..... A lot of republicans are voting for Kerry ....not just me!

Says who? According to what poll? Last time I checked the country was evenly divided. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for being a republican and voting for the most liberal of liberals, the extreme far left. I would understand if you don't like Bush and just didnt vote...but do you like Kerry just because he isnt Bush?

Answer me this, why are you voting for Kerry?

Last edited by cashmoney; 08-31-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

This is true, terrorism has been going on for centuries in one form or another. But, if you think Kerry will take a offensive stance against terrorism, you've got another thing coming, eh.

Bush is the man, he will do the best job, he has proven that, eh. Whats that all aboot?

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper