GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,153
1 members and 2,152 guests
John

Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Judas on a Vespa - could they have found a more illegible font? Could the site load a little more slowly - I have a few grey hairs that haven't come in yet.
Yeah, they seem kind of all around obnoxious!

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Oh no.... you soooo didn't go there.

ETA: so besides the original Beta Epsilon, and SKEPi, have there been any other notable copycats? Are there any out there right now? Not just of Sigma Kappa, but of any GLO. I recall someone saying they saw a ZTA copycat at one point, but my searches aren't turning anything up.
YES YES YES.
There was an Alpha Phi "knock off" website and that sorority was called: Phi Beta Psi http://www.phibetapsi.org/

I guessed they were told to take down their Alpha Phi'esque website, because it is not anymore.

We talked about it here:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ult+sororities (jump to Fuzzie's comment and then valkyrie's response)
That thread is going back 4 years, so not too bad of a memory, huh?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
YES YES YES.
There was an Alpha Phi "knock off" website and that sorority was called: Phi Beta Psi http://www.phibetapsi.org/

I guessed they were told to take down their Alpha Phi'esque website, because it is not anymore.
Oh, oh! I forgot about that one. It looked EXACTLY like the A Phi site.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh, oh! I forgot about that one. It looked EXACTLY like the A Phi site.
Don't you love people who copy not only the sorority but the webpage too? I mean you might get away with the first (at least for a while) but the webpage? Hello....
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I know there was a Zeta copycat somewhere a long time back. I can't find it now, but I remember seeing the site and thinking that a Zeta HAD to be involved in the founding of the local.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Judas on a Vespa - could they have found a more illegible font? Could the site load a little more slowly - I have a few grey hairs that haven't come in yet.
LOL@Judas on a Vespa!! That font is so bad it should't even be a choice anywhere. Looks like I wrote it with my left foot.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

wasn't there also an AOII copycat?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hehe.

Also...since they spefically state that they are a local...why do they have a local AND National philanthropy??
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Could it be a philanthropy that's local to their area, and one that's for the whole country? My local had both.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, their site isn't COMPLETELY like ours was...but they do still refer to themselves as "fuzzies" -- which is fine, they can keep that nickname (y'all know how I feel about that!). But they also say their masco is "Al Fuzzy." Hmmm...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
wasn't there also an AOII copycat?
Check this out....
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=38521
Old 09-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
I know there was a Zeta copycat somewhere a long time back. I can't find it now, but I remember seeing the site and thinking that a Zeta HAD to be involved in the founding of the local.
There's a local at Michigan Tech that says in their history that they once had the opportunity to affiliate with ZTA but declined so that they could keep their local traditions.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Don't you love people who copy not only the sorority but the webpage too? I mean you might get away with the first (at least for a while) but the webpage? Hello....
I think this stems from ignorance out of how the expansion process works. You cannot necessarily "ask" a group directly if they will "turn your local into" one of their (inter)national chapters ("See our website? We wanna be one of your new chapters.". )

Basically, Panhellenic has to decide if that campus is even open for expansion to being with, and then the various members of the 26 will decide whether they think it's feasible to explore a colony / chapter at that campus. And if they do, then they'll tell the NPC, "Hey, we wanna do extension at that campus".

And then extension gets underway where girls from the local will be recruited / "vetted" for the prospective NPC colony. Being in the local does not guarantee an invitation to membership in the NPC colony-would-be chapter.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 09-20-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
I think this stems from ignorance out of how the expansion process works. You cannot necessarily "ask" a group directly if they will "turn your local into" one of their (inter)national chapters ("See our website? We wanna be one of your new chapters.". )

Basically, Panhellenic has to decide if that campus is even open for expansion to being with, and then the various members of the 26 will decide whether they think it's feasible to explore a colony / chapter at that campus. And if they do, then they'll tell the NPC, "Hey, we wanna do extension at that campus".

And then extension gets underway where girls from the local will be recruited / "vetted" for the prospective NPC colony. Being in the local does not guarantee an invitation to membership in the NPC colony-would-be chapter.
lol, well I get it.. now if only we could explain that to everyone else.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

My undergrad had a KD clone. Colors, even name were similar. They went national- but to Chi O. Weird. (not that Chi O is weird- just their decision since it seemed like they so wanted KD. )