GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,494
1 members and 1,493 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
fadyas

Not accepting juniors??

Hi everyone, I hope from reading this someone can shed light on what I am about to say,

I was planning to go through fall 06 Rush but decided last minute not too because I was transferring to SHSU and everything was hectic and I wanted to wait one more semester, so I finally contacted the house that I was really interested in, and found out that they were having a get together at their house to meet pnm's. So I went and met alot of wonderful girls that I thought I connected with alot, everyone was so friendly and I left their house feeling that I would fit right in. I got a call later on the night saying that they weren't able to except me because they are really discouraged from rushing juniors, and she encouraged me to rush again in the fall, and saying that how all the girls liked me and said that I was genuine. Now I am not sure what to even do, I really like the sorority, but I honestly don't want to rush again and get disappointed again just because I am a junior. This semester is my first semester as a junior, so in the fall it would be my last semester as a Junior, can anyone shed some light on this, should I even do it, or should I just be content that I can't because of my classification??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM

That rush chair, or whoever spoke to you, REALLY needs to learn some discretion. She discussed membership selection with a nonmember which is a BIG NO NO.

There are no rules in ANY NPC group that say anything about class status - just that you must be 1) female and 2) pursuing an undergraduate degree.

Go for it next fall if you want, but I wouldn't expect anything from this group and quite frankly, you might be better off if they DON'T give you a bid.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Depending how competitive your school is, some schools accept juniors, like my school where we have a lot of transfers. Also some GLOs would prefer to Though don't be discourage by it. Chances are, if they called you this year, they might call you again next semester. If you have taken your time to meet the actives this past semester and they really liked you, then you may have a chance.

Go for it and you'll never know until you try, but also don't put your hopes to high then you won't disappoint yourself. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

If they don't want to accept a junior now, what will be different next semester when you are still a junior?

The situation seems pretty sketchy to me.

ETA - since when do sororities CALL PNMs? Even during informal rush?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
ETA - since when do sororities CALL PNMs? Even during informal rush?
If it was a party that women had gone to knowing open bids were being handed out, it would be nice of the sorority to call and tell them they didn't receive a bid - especially if there weren't a lot of girls there. It's like in formal rush where your rho chi calls you if you don't get a bid, which I presume was their thinking. In the OPs case though, the sorority was just sharing TMI. They should have just said "I'm sorry, but you did not receive a bid" and let it at that. That's the ONLY info any PNM is ever entitled to.

Oh, and as to what might change next semester? They might lose a lot of girls to graduation or transfers and be under the gun to get their numbers up.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
fadyas

Well, I don't know alot about how everything works, at the end of teh night they just said that they are going to make their decisions tonight and to stay by our phones. From what I understood, she said that they didn't have many slots open for alot of members to join this semester, and that in the fall, there are way more spots open and usually they are more open to juniors than it is in the spring. I am not sure what to do. There are 4 sororities on campus and this was the one that I really wanted, I liked everything about them, the girls, their philanthropy, just everything. I don't know that much about the other sororites, I'm jsut so lost and don't know what to do, it was such a disappointment when I got that call.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadyas View Post
Well, I don't know alot about how everything works, at the end of teh night they just said that they are going to make their decisions tonight and to stay by our phones. From what I understood, she said that they didn't have many slots open for alot of members to join this semester, and that in the fall, there are way more spots open and usually they are more open to juniors than it is in the spring. I am not sure what to do. There are 4 sororities on campus and this was the one that I really wanted, I liked everything about them, the girls, their philanthropy, just everything. I don't know that much about the other sororites, I'm jsut so lost and don't know what to do, it was such a disappointment when I got that call.
Umm, based on this description I honestly wouldn't encourage you to try again (at least with this chapter)... I can't imagine the reasons for discouraging bidding juniors would be any different in the fall, even if they have more spots to fill. Basically I don't know why they're telling you to go through recruitment again and saying things that are borderline secret, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. What they're saying doesn't make sense -- if they wanted to extend you a bid, it would have been far more beneficial of this chapter to do so during this recruitment period, at least financially.

I'm really sorry to say this but I think whoever you talked to was trying to "let you down easy." My best guess is that they really did like you and think you were genuine but for whatever reason they did not select you. It's kind of a cop-out but it's much easier for a sorority sister to say "Wow, we all really loved you and thought you were sweet buuuut you're a junior and we don't normally bid juniors...in any case, I encourage you to go through recruitment in the fall. We really liked you though!" than just straight up saying "I'm sorry, we did not feel that you were right for this sisterhood at this time."

In fact, at my school, sorority members were instructed to encourage disappointed women to go through recruitment again in the future...I obviously don't know exactly what was said between you and this member, but I wouldn't get necessarily read too much into her encouragement to rush again. It might just be a standard line they feed everyone.

But obviously you're the only person that can read the situation -- I didn't hear the phone call and I didn't get enough details from your description to tell one way or the other.

In any case, I'm sorry it didn't work out and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
fadyas

You might be very right, She might have just said that to be nice and as a cop-out, I started to think about it and I guess in a way it makes sense that they would rush freshman or sophomores, they would rather have someone in teh sorority for 3-4 years than maybe 1 or 2. I don't know, but I am trying to contact the other chapters and see if they have held their spring rush yet. And thank you for being so honest.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh, and as to what might change next semester? They might lose a lot of girls to graduation or transfers and be under the gun to get their numbers up.

maybe they get free juniors and want to pad their new member class?

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
fadyas

what does that exactly mean?? free juniors??
Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Sometimes in formal rush, juniors and seniors are not counted in a sorority's quota number.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
fadyas

So if they aren't counted, doesnt that mean that they can have as many as they want ( juniors that is ), or as little??
Old 01-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Yes. That is IF the school does it - not all schools do.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
fadyas

I see, well, maybe they just didn't want juniors for some reason, I don't know. It was a great sorority and I will see if the others have held their spring rush yet, I guess that will determine if I do it again in the fall or not.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadyas View Post
So if they aren't counted, doesnt that mean that they can have as many as they want ( juniors that is ), or as little??
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes. That is IF the school does it - not all schools do.
Perhaps someone from SHSU can shed some light on whether or not your school has "free" juniors (as many juniors as they want are accepted) or an upperclasswoman quota (allowed to accept, say, 3 upperclasswomen who don't count against the freshman quota). Obviously, whether or not there's an upperclasswoman quota isn't any guarantee of anything, but it could better inform your decisions.

If there was a junior quota, you might feel more encouraged to try again. I think that a junior quota would actually be a plus to going through formal recruitment if you were so inclined. But like 33girl said, not every school has an upperclasswoman freebie system in place. Either way, formal recruitment is still a long way off. With or without a junior quota, maybe you'll decide that you want to try your luck with this sorority again or maybe you'll meet some women from another sorority and find a connection with another group. Who knows. I say take this semester and the summer to examine what you want to do. No need to commit to anything today.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity