GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5

Old 07-20-2004, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Not even disgruntled sometimes, but members who don't really respect the tradition of secrecy and blab everything for a 'trade' with other greek friends
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2004, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

In AOII we have open sub-mottos for our chapters. At my chapter, Nu Beta, our sub-motto means Victorius Life, and we were named for Nancy Beasley who founded our chapter. That is not a secret. There is one chapter, I cannot remember which one, and it means "Chosen from among the emeralds." That is my favorite of all time. Anyway, our color is cardinal, we do not have a crest because crest our medieval, etc...that is all on our website.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Another thing to remember is that when an organization publishes, even using their own "publishing house," books and literature, it is protected by copyright laws. To do that, they have to register that material. That places the information into public domain, even if we prefer to continue to treat it as private.

For example, all 3 publications/volumes of "The History of Zeta Tau Alpha" are located in the Library of Congress. Even if they were not generally available to the public (before e-bay, anyway), the public was able to obtain access to the book and read it. So, while our history is treasured by us, nothing that is truly ever secret is printed. Not on purpose, anyway.

In the early 1900's (1910 or 1920, I think), our secret motto was accidentally published in our fraternity magazine, "Themis", thus making it our open motto: Seek the Noblest. Convention was interesting that year, I am certain.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Exactly...or, disgruntled and don't give a rat's patootie...how do you think Alexandra Robbins got to follow 4 women around and learn all of those "secrets"?

Quote:
Originally posted by AXOKatie
Not even disgruntled sometimes, but members who don't really respect the tradition of secrecy and blab everything for a 'trade' with other greek friends
Old 07-20-2004, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTA1806
Another thing to remember is that when an organization publishes, even using their own "publishing house," books and literature, it is protected by copyright laws. To do that, they have to register that material. That places the information into public domain, even if we prefer to continue to treat it as private.
I'm not sure that everything printed is automatically protected by copyright laws. In fact, I would suppose otherwise. I think you have to actually assert your rights and copyright the material. Sort of like applying for a trademark. And as you said, since that would involve putting the contents in the public domain, that's why most groups choose not to copyright it.

In fact, I've never seen a copyrighted ritual manual.

wptw
Old 07-20-2004, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I have actually looked into this at the US copyright website and one does not actually have to go and get it copyrighted in order for it to be copyrighted. I believe all material is considered copyrighted now unless it is something considered to be "common knowledge"-like "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". There are also specifics to copyright infringment like-it's not infringment for me to photocopy my sorority ritual and give it to anyone I want, but it is copyright infringment to sell it. It's an interesting website, I'll post it if I can find it.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Copyrights also expire after the life of the author plus so-many years (25 I think), unless renewed by the holder of the copyright (as in the heirs of a dead author). A corporation, I think, would have to renew its copyrights periodically.