GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,327
3 members and 2,324 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-15-2003, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

"Multicultural" DLPhi colony at SMU

New fraternity one step closer to campus
Multicultural Greek Council (at SMU) approves application for gay, bisexual progressive men's organization

By Jennifer Velasquez
Contributing Writer
April 15, 2003

For those of you that haven't found a fraternity to call home, you might have a new option. Next fall, men of all sexual orientations may have a fraternity of their own. Multicultural Greek Council approved an application for a colony of Delta Lambda Phi, a national fraternity for gay, bisexual and progressive men, to join the council.
In 1986, in Washington D.C., Vernon L. Strickland, Esq. sought to establish a fraternity that would not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. And so the Alpha chapter of Delta Lambda Phi was born.

The Alpha Kappa colony of Delta Lambda Phi has been in Dallas since August 2002. Randy Hubach, a junior history and political science major, was cleaning out the Women's Center closet two years ago when he and some friends came across the fraternity's pledge binders and paddles from when DLP had been at SMU in the mid-90s. They took it a step further and looked into restating it into a colony.

Hubach said that as a first-year he thought of going through recruitment for the Inter-Fraternity Council, but none of the fraternities seemed to fit.

"I met some of the other chapters of Delta Lambda Phi and this one felt like home," he said.

Its eight pledges had to apply to MGC to be considered an SMU colony. Hubach said they hope to become brothers in the fall.

MGC looks for certain criteria in order to consider an incoming fraternity or sorority. They must have at least 10 chapters nationwide, have a strong alumni base and be able to get the support of an advisor.

MGC also looks at how the incoming organization would fit in with the other greek organizations on campus. Once invited on campus, the fraternity would be a colony for a semester and then considered for chapter status.

The application now goes to Vice President Caswell, and if he approves it, Delta Lambda Phi will become an SMU colony.

Potential members would go through a month-long recruitment process, then an eight week new member education program. The new colony would have to abide by the anti-hazing and alcohol policies of MGC.

This national fraternity has chapters across the United States at schools such as Florida International University, Boston University and Purdue.

"It's not just for gay men, I think that's important to clarify," Michelle Espino, MGC adviser, said. "It is a progressive fraternity open to all regardless of sexual orientation. One of their main goals is to develop respect for the diversity of all people."

In fact, one of the members, Steven Vanderpool will soon be married to his fiancée.

"Stephen is very open minded and liked the group of guys," Hubach said. "He though it was something new and since he likes to go against the grain, he gave it a try."

Espino said the opportunity for expansion is a rare opportunity. "We are finding places for everyone on campus. If you want to be in a fraternity or sorority, you can be."

For more information contact Michelle Espino at (214) 768-4405 or visit their website at www.dlp.org <
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I am extremely thrilled to know that there are opportunites for expansion for a group with type of goal. It really says a lot about the progress our society is making. Sure, there is still rampant homophobia, but I'm hoping a few brave "straight, but not narrow" men join the group to show that brotherhood and friendship are separate entities from someone's lifestyle or orientation. These dudes would be a blast to hang out with, I bet!
Old 04-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Don't many chapters of major nationals already open themselves to men of all sexual orientations? If they claim to be simply 'progressive' how are they really that much different?

Not that I think it's a bad idea, I just think their spokseman is being a little disingenuous. It's like asking many chapters of older, traditional NIC types to produce the men of differing sexual orientation that we claim to be open to.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-15-2003, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Don't many chapters of major nationals already open themselves to men of all sexual orientations? If they claim to be simply 'progressive' how are they really that much different?
Same thing can be said about cultural GLOs too. It's just the actual emphasis/goal of that GLO focuses on that aspect as well as other points of greek life. There's nothing wrong with it, just their principles and standards are different.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

Not that I think it's a bad idea, I just think their spokseman is being a little disingenuous. It's like asking many chapters of older, traditional NIC types to produce the men of differing sexual orientation that we claim to be open to.
Actually, it looks like the following NIC groups have committed (through a non-discrimination clause/ammendment) to not discriminate based on sexual orientation:

Lambda Chi Alpha
Pi Kappa Phi
Kappa Delta Rho
Theta Chi
Delta Upsilon
Sigma Phi Epsilon

(According to: www.lambda10.org)

And that's out of some 60 odd NIC member organizations, and to my knowledge the NIC does not either have a clause or resolution that re-affrirms a non-discriminatory policy based on sexual oreintation for member groups.

That list could be outdated, but that's what I was able to track down.

FYI:

Delta Delta Delta is the only NPC sorority listed to have a national non-discriminatory clause based on sexual orientation for it's members.

If anyone else knows of any national policies with the groups please post...don't want to miss anyone.

Last edited by Opie25; 04-16-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
I just wanted to say that i think that Delta Lambda Phi is a great organization. My campus was the first to give one of their chapters full membership into the IFC. They are a wonderful group of men and I could not be more excited to be paired with them for Greek Week. From what I know, their organization was founded at a time when not many GLOS (i could be wrong) had anti-discriminatory policies.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Opie25
If anyone else knows of any national policies with the groups please post...don't want to miss anyone.
While we're not an NIC fraternity (although I understand that consideration is being given to exploring NIC membership), Phi Mu Alpha's national constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Opie25
Actually, it looks like the following NIC groups have committed (through a non-discrimination clause/ammendment) to not discriminate based on sexual orientation:

Lambda Chi Alpha
Pi Kappa Phi
Kappa Delta Rho
Theta Chi
Delta Upsilon
Sigma Phi Epsilon

(According to: www.lambda10.org)

And that's out of some 60 odd NIC member organizations, and to my knowledge the NIC does not either have a clause or resolution that re-affrirms a non-discriminatory policy based on sexual oreintation for member groups.

That list could be outdated, but that's what I was able to track down.

FYI:

Delta Delta Delta is the only NPC sorority listed to have a national non-discriminatory clause based on sexual orientation for it's members.

Thanks for the clarification Opie!!