GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,328
0 members and 1,328 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2000, 08:10 PM
SGRho Intertest

Post Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated

I would like to have everybody's opinions about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority. It bothers me that the sorority that I am interested in gets so much bad press here. I was wondering about people's opinions...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2000, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Well young lady,
it pleases me to know you are interested but, it sounds to me you are not sure about your choice if you come here or anywhere else for aproval. Why do you like this org.? know that things are said about all org. Sometimes stereotypes, sometimes people's perceptions based on their experiences with one or two members, and other times just pure hate because many feel the need to put other orgs. down in order to enhance their own. If I had to back I would be a SGRho again. I think this falls true for must of us. Anyone who could go back would maybe (I HOPE) make the same choice. You might also be influenced by the chapter around you. DO NOT DO IT BECAUSE WE CAN STEP AT A PARTICULAR SCHOOL, OR BECAUSE THEY ARE PRETTY, or BECAUSE SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY IS A MEMBER!!!
take your time, this is something you have to live with for your whole life.
holla in private if youwant.
Good luck
Old 06-06-2000, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I'm very glad that youre insterested in my organization. However, don't be persuaded by negative comments against Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. by other organizations and people who are not familar with SGRHO. My organizations has been in existence for 78 years of service to the black community. What I recommend you to do is associate yourself with sorors at your school and get to know them. But don't seek validation for your choice of organization from others, or doubt yourself because of issues other people have with our organization, but stand firm in your choice and let nothing persuade or deter you.

Tinese
Old 06-07-2000, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I am happy to see that you have an interest in our organization but I would have to point out that you won't get any positive feedback from the people who has a problem with our org. I myself posted a question on why people feel that way and the ones( I won't call any names) who posted previous messages on our org. has yet to step up to the plate....I would suggest that you email me at sgrho_22@blackplanet.com and I will send you an address of a club for Sigma Gama Rho and it's members and interest where you can see wonderful ladies who have joined our organization and who will speak on what the organization has done for them and how they have contributed to the organization....Please don't be detered by other's because as with anything you pursure in life you won't have 100% backing from all...so please do your research and most importantly pay attention to the chapter it's members and get to know them...because it's not as easy as saying your interested you will have to show them why Sigma Gamma Rho is your choice so do your RESEARCH...and also think about what programs the org has that reflects with your views of how you want to help people it is a life time committment.
Peace and Love
Old 06-08-2000, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very happy to see that you are interested in my organization. Don't let what others think bring you down. I choose SGRho because it was right for me and I beleive in it's foundation 122%. If you need ANYTHING at all feel free to e-mail me at shennie_97@blackplanet.com and I will be glad to help you out regardless of what your final desicion is. Just kkep your head up and only worry about what is right for you and everything else will fall into place.

Quote:
Originally posted by SGRho Intertest:
I would like to have everybody's opinions about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority. It bothers me that the sorority that I am interested in gets so much bad press here. I was wondering about people's opinions...
Old 06-09-2000, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

As the Ladies of Sigma have said, don't let other's opinions of SGRho sway your decision. It's your lifetime commitment, no one else's. Continue your quest and Sigma will come to you in time.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2000, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you for showing your interest in my lovely sorority. However, there are going to be people who talk negativlely about any organization,(DST, AKA, ZPhiB...). You will especially get the negative feedback from those individuals who are ignorant about Sigma Gamma Rho. You have to choose an organization that is right for you. When I went to udergrad(NC Central Univ , I knew I wanted to join a sorority because of the visual display of love and committment to helping out the community. I went to every sorority interest meeting. I felt the most comfortable with Sigma Gamma Rho and that is why I choose it. So the best thing I can tell you is to go and see what each organization is about before you make this life long committment...But in the interim, feel free to email me with any questions, or concerns you may have about Sigma Gamma Rho

EEEEE-YYYYYYIIIIIIIPPPPPPP!
Pretty Poodles For Ever
prettydarnhappy@aol.com
Old 06-10-2000, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

You should not let it bother you at all what people have to say about the SGRHOs. It is a great org. One of my closest friends is a SGRHO and I have spent alot of time with her and her sorors, they are doing great things in their surrounding communties! They are all hardworking, strong women and and I am sure that none of them question their decision at all. You will find people who will make negative comments about all of the bglos. I have much love and respect for all of them but in the end you can only choose one. Its not that anything is bad or wrong about the others yo just have to choose the one that is right for you. If SGRHO is in your heart and you feel that it is the one for you then no matter what anyone may say, you will still love Sigma. Nobodys opinions should even matter, its a personal choice that only you can decide on. So keep you head up and don't sweat the small stuff. Obviously you see something great about the SGRHOS, and if you run into other people who are too blind to see it too then that is their problem. Good Luck on your quest for Sigma Gamma Rho!
Old 06-12-2000, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

If SGRHO is in your heart than you will need no one's opinion just let God tell you where you can do the best service for Him and your answer will prove itself.

Pinkice9
Old 06-12-2000, 05:19 PM
SGRho Interest

Thank you ladies for all of the support. I ave talked to some people in my community and I definitely know for me SGRho is the way to go. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2000, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You are more than welcome girl

Quote:
Originally posted by SGRho Interest:
Thank you ladies for all of the support. I ave talked to some people in my community and I definitely know for me SGRho is the way to go. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2000, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

In your search for the right sorority to join there was something that set Sigma Gamma Rho apart from the others.People will think what they want no matter what.At least that is what I have come to notice.If Sigma Gamma Rho is your choice, you would eventually have to make sure that you represent so others would have no reason to say a thing.
I'm not a greek,but am an interest. I'm giving this info. to myself too
Old 06-14-2000, 09:12 PM
sahkrates

I have only met a few members of Sigma Gamma Rho. The ones I have met are highly intelligent and very active within their sorority and more importantly with the community at large. At my school the Sigma Gamma Rho's are basically none existent; which makes them the butt of many jokes, from both fraternities and sororities. However membership is like the wave, it has crests and troughs. People I've met from other schools also tell me similar stories of a small number of Rho's taking the most jokes. It is easy to poke fun when you're deep while you're doin' it.
Old 06-14-2000, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Thank you interested member!!! Coming from someone who knew nothing about sororities ( being the first in my family to go to college) I heard nothing but DST and AKA in my undergraduate days. SGRho was not on my campus at the time (mid-80's) but we are now!!! As a graduate member of SGRho I can say that I did my research and I fell in love with the history of my beloved sorority. I really appreciate what our 7 founders did in 1922 in the middle of Indiana on a white campus. If you have ever been anywhere in the midst of white hostility and tried to do anything black then you will know where I'm coming from. I also wanted to join an organization that was small enough for me to know my other intake members as well as the members of my chapter. Where I work there are only DST's and AKA's and even though I have love and respect for all of us I am the only SGRho and I stand alone-- but proud!!!

------------------
BE POSITIVE!!!