GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,536
1 members and 1,535 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-14-2000, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Phi Beta

Hi SilverTurtle and all other Phi Betas!

I just checked out your chapter's site, which is very nice, and I realized that your sorority is very similar to Alpha Chi Omega. You also use the golden lyre as a symbol, are a musical/arts sorority and have the MacDowell Colony as a philanthropy. It's funny, because before I looked at your site, I thought that the MacDowell Colony was only an AXO thing! I never realized that we were only one of many that support it!

I was just wondering if these similarities were realized when you were founded. Was it done purposely, (maybe one of your founders was also an AXO?) I know that we were founded in 1885 which is before the Phi Beta founding which is why I ask if your founders were AXO's and not the other way around

I think it's cool that we're similar! I was just wondering if you had any information on it. Thanks!!!

-cash78mere
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-15-2000, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Oh, I almost forgot. Please don't move tihs post to the Phi Beta site because I wanted other AXO's to be able to read it first. I purposely posted it here.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2000, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
hey cashmere..

I didn't realize there were so many similarities, either! Actually, I'm not too familiar with AXO (if you have a national and/or chapter website, post the addy + I'll check it out).

You're right.. we were founded in 1912, therefore after AXO was. I don't know if any founding members were AXO's or if they based anything off of AXO, or not. (It was never mentioned in our new member info or anything).

When Phi Beta was founded, it was a women's fraternity. It was specific in the arts it included, music and speech (and i think theatre was included in speech at the time). Also, the founders hadn't necessarally intended to become a national GLO... but within a couple years there was interest at a couple other schools, so they started expanding. The state of Illinois chartered them in 1917, making them 'official'.

The policy of being stricly for music and speech was soon adapted to include the all of the arts. We didn't go coed until about 1975. (I guess this was a big issue at the time, but I can't imagine us not having the guys now! )

I really dig that you guys support the MacDowell Colony! It's such a rad thing, and so unique! I guess they're only open to the public 1 or 2 days a year. A few of my brothers/sisters and I used to talk about how cool it would be to take a road trip and visit! Maybe if I ever do it I'll meet some AXO's, too! Actually, our National Convention is in about a month, and one of our speakers is talking on the "MacDowell Colony Experience", so maybe I'll learn something new! We actually support a cottage there financially (the Phi Beta Cottage, of course ) but we don't interfere w/its use.

Ok, I think I've rambled on for too long.. but I am amazed at how similar our 2 GLOs appear to be! Thanks for posting this!!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter

[This message has been edited by SilverTurtle (edited June 15, 2000).]

Old 06-15-2000, 06:30 PM
gloriajean

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTurtle:
Actually, I'm not too familiar with AXO (if you have a national and/or chapter website, post the addy + I'll check it out).
www.alphachiomega.org/

Old 06-15-2000, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks gloriajean! you beat me to it!

the AXO national website is currently being updated and it will be really nice come next month when the new system is unveiled. (or so i have heard from nationals...)

you can link to some VERY NICE AXO chapter websites from the national site. you might want to check them out as well. stetson (FL) has a cute poem about our history. i can't remember offhand which are my favorite sites...

we were started as a musical fraternity, where you had to be a music major to be initiated. the requirement was later dropped but we still hold on to the symbols and rituals.

the coincidence is too weird! we have a macdowell cottage also but i've never heard of anyone going to visit it. like i said before, i always thought the colony was just our cottage! i never imagined that it was a bigger organization. maybe i just didn't pay close enough attention

since you (silverturtle) seem to be really involved in your organization, you'll probably get info before i could. i wouldn't even know where to start. keep me posted!!!
Old 06-15-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

hey.. it just occurred to me that your website addy was probably either www.alphachiomega.com or www.alphachiomega.org

so I just returned from checking out your site (i'll have to go back and check some of the chapters!)

Originally you had to be a major in one of the arts to join Phi Beta. I think our national constitution still reads this way. But our chapter bylaws only require our members have an active interest in them. (I think this resulted from having members who changed majors and still stayed active and such, but it's been this way for so long that I'm just guessing that's why!).

The MacDowell Colony is pretty large.. it's all these secluded, queit cottages. (I'll bet your is the "Alpha Chi Omega Cottage" ) Each cottage is designed for specific arts. Some of them have windows facing certain ways for optimal lighting for visual artists, others are designed w/ acoustics in mind for musicians, etc.

I guess there's like a common lodge area that the artists can go to if they want to see people. But otherwise they have total peace and solitude.. their lunches are delivered every day at the same time (so they know when they're coming), but no one knocks or anything, so the artists are totally not disturbed!!

Their website has a history and general info, and pictures!! It's http://www.macdowellcolony.org

If you want to see a pic of the Phi Beta Cottage + a list of some of the folks who have stayed there over the years, click here!

(sorry for all the edits.. i'm having serious typing problems tonight!!)
------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter

Old 06-16-2000, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere:
we have a macdowell cottage also but i've never heard of anyone going to visit it. like i said before, i always thought the colony was just our cottage! i never imagined that it was a bigger organization. maybe i just didn't pay close enough attention
cash78mere:
I didn't realize it either, and I'm an ALUM! I also didn't realize Phi Beta had so much in common with us. Please email me when you get this so we can talk

I wonder if anyone does know if their founders had ties to AXO.

Old 06-16-2000, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hey AXOAlum.. I wasn't sure if you meant for me to email you or cashmere ! But I sent you a kinda lengthy email, anyways!!

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter