GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,504
2 members and 2,502 guests
babradanry3265, TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

wanting to rush-ways to meet people

Hi.

I would like to rush a sorority in the spring, however the school that I am transfering to doesnt do a formal rush, but they pick up a few girls through an informal rush. Well, I will be transfering to a school were I wont know anyone, so I will not have the advantage of being friends with girls in certain sororities or be able to know which group I think I would feel comfortable in. What is a good way to meet girls of the sororities before they have "informal rush"? or to let them know you are interested in joining?

also, is informal rush more on the down low, meaning do they only choose certain girls to come to their events? How does informal work?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about informal, but I can tell you the best way to meet people (including sorority women) is by getting involved on your new campus. Go to your student government office and ask how you can get involved with them, try honor societies associated with your major etc. Most univeristy websites have a section that lists organizations, gives contact information, as well as information on that particular organization.

Also, dont be afraid to strike up conversations with people in your classes, in the student center etc.

Good luck with the transfer! OH! Make sure you keep your grades up as well! Grades are incredibly important when going through any type of recruitment situation.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Informal depends alot on your greek campus culture. As a transfer, make sure your elligible to go through informal recruitment at your new school by contacting you greek life office. Greek Life would most likely be able to answer your questions.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Like others have said, it depends on the campus culture, if any groups are under total, and if so, how many and by how much.

Let's say most chapters at a school are at or above total. Any chapter at or above total will not be eligible to take new members. If a chapter is under total by only a few spots and they are at a school where most are at total, then they probably won't be advertising informal recruitment. They'll opt to invite friends of members or unmatched women who they were interested in. Other chapters with more spots able to be filled will likely advertise any parties or events.

At other schools, all or most chapters are under total. Informal recruitment as a whole will likely be advertised as well as parties for each chapter.

Check with your school's Greek Life Office. They should be able to tell you what kind of opportunities you have to join a sorority.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyme88 View Post
i'll be a second semester sophomore so I know I have a little bit of time left to join a sorority. I'm working VERY hard this semester to get my grades up( i've always struggled in school because I have a learning disabilty). My goal is for a 3.0, which ive never gotten before, but we will see.
thanks for the advice

This is a mini-hijack but as a special education teacher I know that colleges are supposed to help students with disabilitites. I don't know if you have done this, but let your college know. Your LD doesn't disappear the moment you graduate HS. They legally have to "work" with you.

Here is a link to the US Dept. of Ed., it's a link to information on transitioning to college and what universities and students are responsible for.

http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list...ransition.html

End my mini-hijack.

As for informal, depending on if the university does it or not (I say that because all the chapters might have reached total in the fall), it is much more laid back. There are rules during formal that they don't have to follow during informal. I went through informal. Basically my university had a general meeting at the MU for all those interested in rushing. All the chapters who were rushing where there with "booths". We got to check them out and then go to the houses we saw fit. They did stress that we could leave each house whenever we wanted and go to another one.

When I was at ASU the sororities doing spring would put tables on the mall and girls as they were walking by, would stop and possibly sign up for the rush event (or they would just get the info and show up).

At U of A our informal events, that I did as a member, were held at the house or at a mom and pops pizza parlor. The first couple were "non-threatening actitivies on nuetral ground". LOL.

Good luck with recruitment, your grades and your transfer!!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-31-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyme88 View Post
I do get accomadations through the disabilty services, but im pretty sure that sororities would have no understanding of the rights for people w/ an LD or do they understand what its like having one, unless there is someone in the sorority that does indeed have a LD. So im assuming that I would get no special privilages.
She meant for the grades issue, not the sororities so much.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
She meant for the grades issue, not the sororities so much.

Yes. But if/when you join a house, be honest with them up front about your disability. It's not something to be ashamed of. They should be supportive.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
Happyme -- I responded to your private message with a looong answer about informal recruitment at ECU. If you want to know anything else, do not hesitate to ask.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
OK, so I wrote a BOOK of a response AND talked to you for like and hour online today and then I find out you pledged Sigma SOMEWHERE. I mean enough to have pledge class pics and a pic with your Big. Someone tell me why they feel the need to misrepresent themselves on GC all the time!? And if this is a special or whatever, I apologize, but you could have at least told me you pledged elsewhere and least long enough to get a bid, if not initiate!

And this is your third transfer in less than 2years... I don't even follow.

Sorry, but consider me frustrated and feeling like I wasted my time here.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Closed Thread