GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,434
3 members and 2,431 guests
GammaGirl1908, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coRHOlation07 View Post
hmmmmm....there are definitely no greek houses on my campus at all...there's an OLD city law saying that four or more people of the same sex in a house with our family relations or marriage is a brothel and is against the law. but next year the different greek orgs are going to be claiming different on campus (on campus housing) and will be able to hang up their letters if they have over a certain number of members in a building.
No.

There is NO brothel law - what you refer to is a zoning law re commercial/multi-family dwellings.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Wow, that's impressive. I say that wins!

eta: Wait -- where is this?
U of MO - Rolla
Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
U of MO - Rolla
That is correct. We are located at the University of Missouri-Rolla, and engineering university that is going through a name change and will soon become Missouri University of Science & Technology (MS&T)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
PURDUE has some HUGE monster houses.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We just did an story on SAE at SMU, and the house certainly is huge, almost 20,000 square feet.

http://fratboynews.blogspot.com/sear...f%20the%20Year

Yes, I know, this is a link to my own site...post hateful comments below.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought I had said this on this thread earlier...but only 4 million for FSU Pike???? That's pretty cheap for a house that can house Tiajuana. The new Sigma Nu house here only houses 53 people and ran around 5.6 mill I believe.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazarelli View Post
I haven't seen anything larger than 30,000 square feet and around 90 in house members.

We are just finishing up the addition to our house. When it is finished in July for the fall it will be in the neighborhood of 6 millions dollars (not counting property) and 32,000 square feet. It will have the capacity of holding 106 men, with a variety of room setups, one man, two man, three man, four man, and two person suites.

These numbers come straight off the blue-prints. 95% of our guys are engineers.

www.akpikes.com
Congrats on the new construction project! Your house was big to begin with, but now..wow! Have fun paying your heating bill But seriously, with what your chapter has faced in the past, you guys deserve a good solid house.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Just to give the west coast some love, I direct you to the U-Dub Chi Omega house, which claims to be "the second largest fraternal structure west of the Mississippi"

http://students.washington.edu/chiomega/ourhouse.html

And, it even looks pretty from the outside (in my opinion)
OMIGOSH!!! I've seen that house, and thought it was a dorm! Do they have a few thousand chapter members or something?

Not necessarily the largest by any means, but a few years ago, a Beta Theta Pi alum donated $3.5 million towards restoring their house at Penn State, thought to be the largest donation to a fraternity at the time. If you've ever seen any of the PSU fraternity houses, you know that they're pretty nice to begin with. Here's a link to the article; here's the house as it stands right now.

Last edited by honeychile; 05-02-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for that post about Beta, honeychile - it brought back a lot of memories. Way too many nights dragged out to there to keep an eye on my friend's cheating Beta boyfriend....

It's indeed a beautiful house - you should see it at Christmas - they put a two-story high tree in the living room. We had a really posh tree-decorating social with them, very different from the more uproarious parties thrown by other houses.

Penn State has some amazingly gorgeous fraternity houses - old fieldstone mansions with baloneys, grands stairways, etc. When I was at school, the guys kept most of the houses really well. Sadly, (with Beta as a standout exception) I understand that many of them no longer do so. I have friends who are TKEs who said that the undergraduates have trashed their beautiful house so badly that the the town is trying to get it closed.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...07dnews-07.asp
Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I thought I had said this on this thread earlier...but only 4 million for FSU Pike???? That's pretty cheap for a house that can house Tiajuana. The new Sigma Nu house here only houses 53 people and ran around 5.6 mill I believe.
Elephant, I didn't know it ran that high. I think they got $3.5mill in private funding. Any idea on the sq. footage (can't find that info).

I did find that it's 3 stories, with 53 suites overall (so I guess if you give each individual a suite, it houses 53). And will have an elevator

Last edited by banditone; 05-04-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalluvbug View Post
however, the largest physical sorority house that is west of the mississippi river is on the university of colorado campus. or actually i guess you would consider it off campus, but it is in boulder on the hill.
Not really sure but by looking at the pictures of the houses i would say it would have to be between AXO, Tri Delt, or PiPhi. Could be wrong. Not the whole house is shown.

http://www.colorado.edu/greeks/sororities/chapters.html

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have friends who are TKEs who said that the undergraduates have trashed their beautiful house so badly that the the town is trying to get it closed.
My boyfriend is a member of his chapter's house corporation, and the alumni are tearing out their hair over the same issue: the undergrads are turning the house into a pit, and there's a real risk the university could take it away (small private school).
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a TKE at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma and I just want to say that it bothers me when people complain about the size of their houses or the condition they are in. At NSU, we're not even allowed to have greek housing, be it for fraternities or sororities. We have many different houses that our members live in off campus, but not one house has more than about 4 members living in it at any given time. I visited my friend a few weekends ago who is a Pike up at OU (University of Oklahoma) and he and his brothers were complaining about the size and condition of their house. I told him he should be lucky that they are even allowed to have a house. It wasn't even that bad of a house either. Everyone should really quit complaining about size, condition, etc...there are plenty of schools across the nation who would love to have any type of greek house on their campus, regardless of how small or ugly it may be...
Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by banditone; 05-09-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

hmm banditone you'll have to explain to me that "I'm a Snake by God" chant sometime....

an ELEVATOR? wow...Elephant Walk where do you go to school?
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter