GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,661
0 members and 1,661 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta at University of Georgia?

I have a few questions I haven't been able to find online..
1. When AxiD was at UGA, does anyone know what house they lived in? I am an Alpha Xi and go to Athens a lot to see my friends and was wondering if they had a house on Milledge or somewhere in the campus? It would be very cool to see a part of Alpha Xi history.
2. Another AxiD question... If one were to look up all Alpha Xi Chapters in the US they would notice many, many closures at big colleges, especially around the 70's and 80's. IS there a particular reason for this anyone knows of??
Thanks so much!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe A LOT of groups were affected by significant closures in the 70s and 80s due to declining interest in joining greek life
Old 09-29-2014, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you ever go into the store University Spirit when you are in Athens? I believe the owner's wife is an alum of the AXiD chapter at UGA. She may be able to tell you.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish we had held out through the lean times at some of our biggest chapters, but it was probably pretty hard to see a clear horizon with as bad as Greek life/supporting the man got through those years.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

327 South Milledge Avenue in Athens. Now the Sig Ep House.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...12133847779653

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/meta/html...c_jlc0326.html
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Any chance we still own it?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that's a pretty house!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Any chance we still own it?
Not a one.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Boooo! Wrong answer! It does seem a logical fit that we would end up there within the next couple years, but as on so many campuses, I'm sure housing is a particular sticking point.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

What a shame that Sig Ep is not merely renting it from Alpha Xi. A very pretty house.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I know two women from the UGA chapter. One from early in the chapter and the other from closer to when they closed. They are both great women and have been supportive AXiDs. The early one has received their Order of the Rose (50 years, I think), is a breast cancer survivor and has showed me pictures from those early years. Think lining the sidewalk going up to the entrance with their white fifties style fluffy dresses and white gloves. She entered college with the intent to graduate and go to medical school. She was told women weren't doctors and many roadblocks were set up against her. She graduated with a degree in home economics and though she appreciates her degree, she said she has always regretted not going to medical school.

The later sister has a degree in dance though you would NEVER, EVER know!!! She doesn't tell many people. She's in IT and that totally makes sense if you met her. She has attended a number of AXiD National Conventions. She told me that you couldn't wear letters on campus during her active years. You could, but it was such an anti-Greek time in the 1970's that it could lead to much criticism from peers and faculty.

Both women stated that the chapter was not a strong recruiting chapter when Greek Life struggling to recruit in the first place. They told me that there was an opportunity to return in the 1980s and though I can't confirm that, they said that lack of housing one a primary reason for not returning. Gamma Phi Beta was supposedly offered the spot instead. They also didn't have housing, but a group of alum walked door to door down Milledge offering a sum of money to buy peoples homes (mansions) and one owner said yes! They now have a gorgeous house. Only a UGA Gamma Phi can confirm that story though. You have to love Greek folklore!!

I would love to have AXiD back at UGA as would these two alum. We can only hope it will happen one day and when it does.....$,$$$,$$$'s!!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

wow!!

Thanks for all the amazing replies! I always hope that Alpha Xi could return to UGA. I love Athens and all the cool houses on Milledge. One of my best friends is Gamma Phi Beta and I definitely think their house is the most beautiful! I hope that story is true. So proud to have such amazing sisters!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is in Gamma Phi's pledge class at UGA this year and this information is very interesting. I hope and assume that she is learning her chapter's history and will definitely be asking her about it. And yes, their house is absolutely gorgeous!
Old 10-04-2014, 07:44 AM

A friend of mine's daughter just graduated from there and was a Gamma Phi Beta. I am going to ask her and see if she knows.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
I know two women from the UGA chapter. One from early in the chapter and the other from closer to when they closed. They are both great women and have been supportive AXiDs. The early one has received their Order of the Rose (50 years, I think), is a breast cancer survivor and has showed me pictures from those early years. Think lining the sidewalk going up to the entrance with their white fifties style fluffy dresses and white gloves. She entered college with the intent to graduate and go to medical school. She was told women weren't doctors and many roadblocks were set up against her. She graduated with a degree in home economics and though she appreciates her degree, she said she has always regretted not going to medical school.

The later sister has a degree in dance though you would NEVER, EVER know!!! She doesn't tell many people. She's in IT and that totally makes sense if you met her. She has attended a number of AXiD National Conventions. She told me that you couldn't wear letters on campus during her active years. You could, but it was such an anti-Greek time in the 1970's that it could lead to much criticism from peers and faculty.

Both women stated that the chapter was not a strong recruiting chapter when Greek Life struggling to recruit in the first place. They told me that there was an opportunity to return in the 1980s and though I can't confirm that, they said that lack of housing one a primary reason for not returning. Gamma Phi Beta was supposedly offered the spot instead. They also didn't have housing, but a group of alum walked door to door down Milledge offering a sum of money to buy peoples homes (mansions) and one owner said yes! They now have a gorgeous house. Only a UGA Gamma Phi can confirm that story though. You have to love Greek folklore!!

I would love to have AXiD back at UGA as would these two alum. We can only hope it will happen one day and when it does.....$,$$$,$$$'s!!!!
The part about the house is incorrect. The house belonged to a Chi Omega and she donated/sold it to the chapter when she died. Chi Omega then built a house on Milledge, due to the small size of the other house. *When I say small I mean it couldn't sleep as many women as the chapter needed and they outgrew the chapter room.

I can see it making sense, however, if Gamma Phi reps approached other greeks and offered to buy their houses.