GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,140
2 members and 2,138 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

How to break stereotypes?

I am new to the greek life and am don't understand the whole stereotype reasons. 1 group is "fat girls" or the "rich girls" but it usually only a handful out of the like 40 members. Everyones site information says for a place for girls to become women and belong. How can you belong if before you join you are being labeled a "nerd" or even "princess"? The nerd girl might not even have as hight of a GPA as the princess. The ones I didn't join seem to only want clones of themselves and enjoy their labels? I hope to make friends with many girls who enjoy things I don't and I like things they don't love. We aren't one sided but 3-D
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_bubbles View Post
I am new to the greek life and am don't understand the whole stereotype reasons. 1 group is "fat girls" or the "rich girls" but it usually only a handful out of the like 40 members. Everyones site information says for a place for girls to become women and belong. How can you belong if before you join you are being labeled a "nerd" or even "princess"? The nerd girl might not even have as hight of a GPA as the princess. The ones I didn't join seem to only want clones of themselves and enjoy their labels? I hope to make friends with many girls who enjoy things I don't and I like things they don't love. We aren't one sided but 3-D

Um, I am really not following what you're asking here.

I would like to point out that you saying that other chapters only want clones of themselves is a stereotype on your part.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Um, I am really not following what you're asking here.

I would like to point out that you saying that other chapters only want clones of themselves is a stereotype on your part.

Maybe it is just insecurity on my part but I felt really down since I wasn't from here originally I felt out of a place when some girls would walk in and were given the attention because of matching hair styles or because they loved that cute belt! It was the girls during rush that informed me on what the opinions of each were so as an outsider I observed that not everyone was that specific mold but the girls described themselves all in a whole as the image. I am not saying it is a bad image if it motivates the girls but it just feels like how can everyone be accepted if they have to fit a certain label from the start even ones that the members think of as themselves? Surely interest to bond you aren't beauty pagents or loving vodka.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe it is just insecurity on my part but I felt really down since I wasn't from here originally I felt out of a place when some girls would walk in and were given the attention because of matching hair styles or because they loved that cute belt! It was the girls during rush that informed me on what the opinions of each were so as an outsider I observed that not everyone was that specific mold but the girls described themselves all in a whole as the image. I am not saying it is a bad image if it motivates the girls but it just feels like how can everyone be accepted if they have to fit a certain label from the start even ones that the members think of as themselves? Surely interest to bond you aren't beauty pagents or loving vodka.
How do you even know what made some chapters interested in certain PNMs?

How do you know that someone was given attention JUST because of their belt? What if a sister just genuinely liked the belt and made a comment? For all you know, a sister could have been giving a girl attention because they both studied abroad in the same country for the summer. Something like a purse or a belt may strike initial interest, but it takes more than that to get a bid.

For you to assume that a girl only got attention from a chapter because of her clothing makes it sound like you have some sour grapes going on because they cut you or didn't give you a bid.

And finally, how do you know that sisters are solely bonded by their interests in "beauty pageants and vodka?" You can't presume to know that every single girl in X or Y chapter is only interested in ___ or XYZ chapter only wanted Suzie because she's _____.

I'm really not trying to be mean, but you are making alot of assumptions regarding chapters that you aren't a part of.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-23-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Birds of a feather flock together.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
Birds of a feather flock together.
In a way, yes. I think that it is a little futile to claim that there is no such thing as a chapter personality. I won't call it a stereotype, because that is derogatory. So XYZ has a lot of preppy girls. So what? It doesn't mean the whole chapter is preppy. No chapter is 100% anything. It does, however, mean that during recruitment mean that girls like them will feel more comfortable around them and the girls in that chapter will likely see them as a fit. Notice I said "likely." Chapters want a mix. Nobody likes a bunch of clones walking around. The party chapter has studious girls who go out infrequently. The beauty queen chapter has some chubby girls who don't really care about fashion that much. Then you have the chapters that defy classification and like it that way.

What i'm trying to say is that they are not judging you. They are human. Just like you enter a room and gravitate towards people who are like you, so do sorority women...they are human! The key is to engage them when it's your turn so they see that you are like them, too, even if you aren't preppy, beauty queen, athletic, etc.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think AOII understood what I was saying. KSU, you made me sound naive but those girls didn't bond because of previous connections but because of 1st judgment opinions based on similarities. You do have to go where you find common interest I am just saying all girls have differences and shouldn't be said oh you fit this kind of girl not those. Like I said only a handful of girls actually represent the image so instead of seeing girls as this everyone should be seen based on them. The Sorority doesn't make the woman, the woman makes the Sorority. This can mean she makes it positive or negative. T
Old 04-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I think AOII understood what I was saying. KSU, you made me sound naive but those girls didn't bond because of previous connections but because of 1st judgment opinions based on similarities.
You have no idea of that...they could know each other from HS, have gone to summer camp together, or both got stuck in the parking lot after a Britney Spears concert. It sounds like you went to a school where the majority of students/rushees are from the same immediate area and you were not, and you came into rush with a chip on your shoulder because of it.

Your post has nothing to do with the title of the thread. The only person "stereotyping" is you.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, I agree with everyone else.

You shouldn't be concerned with the negative things that people might be saying about you and your sisters. People who are going to be that rude behind all of your backs don't deserve a fraction of one of your brain cells. True, you want your house to be viewed positively, but let them think what they want. Focus on building your sisterhood rather than having a house full of girls pretending to be something else.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think AOII understood what I was saying. KSU, you made me sound naive but those girls didn't bond because of previous connections but because of 1st judgment opinions based on similarities. You do have to go where you find common interest I am just saying all girls have differences and shouldn't be said oh you fit this kind of girl not those. Like I said only a handful of girls actually represent the image so instead of seeing girls as this everyone should be seen based on them. The Sorority doesn't make the woman, the woman makes the Sorority. This can mean she makes it positive or negative. T
No offense but you made yourself sound naive. Not to mention the fact that the title of this thread is misleading.

It sounds like you're bitter you joined a sorority with a negative stereotype.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Stereotypes are created because that is what other people see. They see fatties, nerds, athletes, or whatever else. Stereotypes perpetuate because of rush. Most people like to surround themselves with similar people because of human nature. If certain members are more successful at rushing new members, house dynamics swing in that direction. Athletes tend to rush athletes and nerds tend to rush nerds. You can target a new demographic for rush or you can ignore the stereotypes. Neither of those options is satisfactory and I don't advocate either one of them.

The only other solution is to get everyone to be more social on campus and to get involved in campus organizations. Getting your name out there can do a lot to change your image.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I never said I didn't join the sorority with the blonde girls that are known for their looks. That doesn't mean I am blonde or fit that image. That is my point. If someone hears I am a so and so they might say oh really those girls are all ____ you are lucky or if I don't fit the image they might say wow it must be an off year. My title is not misleading and Nick understands. People have a set image of every organization when most don't fit it. I am not saying I joined the fat ugly girls sorority and am jealous of the others. I am simply stating that one group is judge as the rich bitches, smart girls, party girls, etc and that isn't fair to anyone to be labeled even if it is a flattering label.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am simply stating that one group is judge as the rich bitches, smart girls, party girls, etc and that isn't fair to anyone to be labeled even if it is a flattering label.
A) Do you really not see that YOU are the one tossing out all the labels and stereotypes?!

B) Stereotypes exist. There's no getting around it. Life is unfair; get used to it.

C) Enough with the run-on sentences! You're nearly incomprehensible.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not throwing out the stereotypes because I didn't create them, I wasn't the one who decided girls fit categorys on campus. I am going by what girls call themselves anothers.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not throwing out the stereotypes because I didn't create them, I wasn't the one who decided girls fit categorys on campus. I am going by what girls call themselves anothers.
What?

I truthfully do not understand this post. Your grammar is, um, interesting.

Lakers Nation.