GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,485
2 members and 2,483 guests
Xidelt

Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it has happened at least once. I even posted it several years ago on another thread. Girl is initiated in ABC at one school and transferred to another school out of state. There is a chapter of ABC on the campus but she did not feel "she would fit"so she goes through recruitment and pledges DEF instead and actually if my memory serves me she served as president of DEF. Eventually, of all people, the reference writer for ABC, who lived in another state, got wind of it after the girl had graduated. She did report it to ABC who I believe reported it to DEF. Not for sure what happened.

Last edited by Just interested; 03-19-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I am familiar with one situtation which took place in the early 1990s. Woman joined XYZ at one university then transferred to another university which did not have a chapter of XYZ. She went through recruitment at the second school and joined a different NPC chapter. All was going along smoothly until someone from the chapter at the first school saw her wearing letters belonging to a different organization. The NPC organizations got involved and she was dismissed from the second organization she joined. She may have been dismissed from the first organization, too, but I am not 100% sure of that. I am certain, however, that the second organization dismissed her.

This was in the early 1990s, in the dark ages. Keeping this kind of secret in today's world of ever present social media would be very, very difficult.

Last edited by nyapbp; 03-19-2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: silly typos
Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I'm wondering why one of the two groups hasn't expelled them if they now know about it. Also, as far back as the 70's, my group has had a rule that chapter at campus B has to get written approval from chapter at campus A to pledge a woman. So if I went to Oregon State and was a member of AAA and then moved to Texas Tech, my org at TTU would check with our chapter at OSU to see if I had ever been thru recruitment and what the outcome had been. Then my chapter at TTU would tell PH that I already belonged to AAA and they would stop me from participating in recruitment. It would have been hard to do what you say.
I'm somewhat confused...could you please clarify? I'm not sure if you're referring to affiliation (checking with the original chapter if a transfer student claims to be a member of your group who joined at another university, which seems reasonable and I think is common place), or if you're saying that ALL transfer PNMs are checked out with the chapter of your sorority at the transfer student's original university, to see if that chapter can verify if she joined any sorority at the original school. That seems like it would require a great deal of investigative effort/communication on the part of both chapters, especially if it's attempted before recruitment starts and you'd have to research the whole pool of transfer PNMs. What if there isn't a chapter of your sorority at the original school...does the new chapter still attempt an investigation? Like calling PH at the original school?

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 03-19-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Only if there is a chapter at the previous school are we supposed to check. It's possible they had a rec on her when she went thru and they would have record of that. I actually was involved with checking a PNM who had been thru recruitment at school A and came to campus B with a good rec from a neighbor. Checking with her previous campus we found a "no" rec - and it was a valid reason. The neighbor knew nothing about the information in the "no"rec. It saved us from a mistake.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the expanded explanation!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

In the 70's one of my fraternity friends said one of their brothers voluntarily pledged another fraternity because his father was a member of the second fraternity and very upset he couldn't share ritual with his son. He was accepted at both houses and I assume supported both financially.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This actually happened in my chapter during the late 80s. A girl transferred and went through as a sophomore. She had rushed, pledged and been initiated at her old school. Her house was not at our school, so she rushed again. She and several friends pledged my house. About halfway through the pledge process it was found out. It was never announced how, but my guess is one of her friends that pledged with her told someone. It was kept very hush hush within the chapter. At any rate, she was immediately terminated from our chapter. She continued to drive around with our letters on her car and introduce herself as an "Xyz", wear old event shirts, etc. She kind of brazened it out and acted put upon that she had been removed.

I agree with other posters that something like this would be harder to get away with now due to social media.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew a guy who was a member of two fraternities. He was initiated his freshman year at a school in California then transferred to Tulsa University where they did not have a chapter of his organization. He pledged and was initiated into a different fraternity. It was found out his senior year but he retained membership in his second fraternity. I believe he resigned and returned his Pin to his first fraternity. And this was in the 1980s so it was a little harder to run the paper trail. Sadly, he died a few years ago of cancer.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I can see how someone could be a member of HIJ at one school, transfer and go through recruitment and pledge MNO at another school. But if the HIJ transfers one college and shows up on the doorstep of MNO at the other college saying she's an MNO -- how would she pull off admission to the chapter meeting? She'd need to know the password/knock/grip and the opening ritual. There's a reason for the chapter officer called "guard."
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
I can see how someone could be a member of HIJ at one school, transfer and go through recruitment and pledge MNO at another school. But if the HIJ transfers one college and shows up on the doorstep of MNO at the other college saying she's an MNO -- how would she pull off admission to the chapter meeting? She'd need to know the password/knock/grip and the opening ritual. There's a reason for the chapter officer called "guard."
AGD, I interpret the original question the question to mean that person belongs to HIJ at Snowflake University. They transfer to University of Another Part of Country hat does not have an HIJ chapter. They go through recruitment again, this time at UAPOC and do not tell anyone they are a member in good standing of HIJ. VWX offers our two timer a bid and they accept and are initiated. They are now members of HIJ and VWX, supposedly members in good standing at both. Neither group know they belong to the other.

DaffyKD
Old 03-27-2017, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
AGD, I interpret the original question the question to mean that person belongs to HIJ at Snowflake University. They transfer to University of Another Part of Country hat does not have an HIJ chapter. They go through recruitment again, this time at UAPOC and do not tell anyone they are a member in good standing of HIJ. VWX offers our two timer a bid and they accept and are initiated. They are now members of HIJ and VWX, supposedly members in good standing at both. Neither group know they belong to the other.

DaffyKD
I.e., bigamy with a pearled badge.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator