GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,040
1 members and 1,039 guests
MethrenLusia
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The only restriction on a PNM who single intention preferences (aka suicides) is that she is inelible to be a Quota Addition. A Chapter can snap bid her to achieve Quota or COB her to reach Total.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOE-7 View Post
Awesome! Thank you so much!!!!

Now...in the SIP example above - PNM suicided, but she was not on the chapters first bid list and they had already made quota...if that chapter was NOT at or above total at the end of FR....would they be allowed to snap bid, or COB her? Or, since that chapter is still below total, even though they are at Quota, would this be considered a snap bid?

My campus panhellenic is VERY young....we're finally getting our crap together this year.
If that chapter was still below Total, they could COR her. Here's another difference in terminology. Snap Bidding goes along with formal recruitment only. If a chapter does not make Quota during FR, they may offer snap bids to any PNM who attended at least one round of FR and then was either released or dropped out or unmatched after bid matching. Snap bidding is only to fill spots in QUOTA. Snap bidding only takes place between bid matching and Bid Day Ceremony.

Continuous Recruitment (sometimes Continuous OPEN Recruitment - COR) is done outside of the formal recruitment window. It can be used to fill vacancies in Quota (if the chapter did not match or snap to Quota) or to fill vacancies in Total. CR begins after Panhellenic Bid Day Ceremonies are over.

So the PNM who ISP'ed (Intentional Single Preference / suicide) but did not match to her choice is available to be snap bidded to any chapter who did not make Quota. If she does not accept a snap bid, she is then eligible for a COR bid to any chapter that did not make Quota or is not at Total.

** Personal Opinion note here: If this situation is rampant within a Panhellenic, it would be in that Panhellenic's best interest to review Total. If most chapters are still below Total even after the conclusion of FR, it becomes a breeding ground for dirty rushing. Chapters could tell a PNM to suicide, then if she doesn't match, she can be picked up through COR after recruitment. Bad Bad Bad.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The only restriction on a PNM who single intention preferences (aka suicides) is that she is inelible to be a Quota Addition. A Chapter can snap bid her to achieve Quota or COB her to reach Total.
You are correct!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
** Personal Opinion note here: If this situation is rampant within a Panhellenic, it would be in that Panhellenic's best interest to review Total. If most chapters are still below Total even after the conclusion of FR, it becomes a breeding ground for dirty rushing. Chapters could tell a PNM to suicide, then if she doesn't match, she can be picked up through COR after recruitment. Bad Bad Bad.
Well, the chapter who is our biggest competitor on campus got quota (and above total) with FR, which is good. However, they dropped ALOT of PNMs before pref, and told those girls: "Dont worry, we'll snap bid you." 2 of those girls came to our pref parties and signed their bid card with our chapter on it, but have not yet accepted. One of those girls is hacked off at the 1 year rule, but it's not our fault that their chapter didnt invite her to pref, and then toyed with her by saying "we'll snap bid you." This happened AFTER pref parties were over and before bid day, so of course, that PNM did not accept our bid on bid day. THAT is what ticks me off...she signed our card, ready to accept our bid, then she got mixed signals from someone in their chapter telling her "you can still be one of us...dont accept their bid"...So, since her best friend is in the other sorority, she hung out on the sidelines and watched them in their bid day festivities.

Whatever...I guess if she wants to follow them around like a lost little puppy dog for a year, hoping she can get in next year, that's her choice. She looked ridiculous though. It probably never occurred to her that they didnt invite her to pref for a reason. What chapter is going to be stupid enough to cut a girl during FR, if they REALLY wanted her, especially if they are going to be above total? Sounds to me like she doesnt get the hint. I wonder if she invited herself to bid night....ya know, since her best friend is in that sorority, so she would be automatically invited to hang out anyway?

Maybe I should but this story in the stupid PNM thread.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, the chapter who is our biggest competitor on campus got quota (and above total) with FR, which is good. However, they dropped ALOT of PNMs before pref, and told those girls: "Dont worry, we'll snap bid you." 2 of those girls came to our pref parties and signed their bid card with our chapter on it, but have not yet accepted. One of those girls is hacked off at the 1 year rule, but it's not our fault that their chapter didnt invite her to pref, and then toyed with her by saying "we'll snap bid you." This happened AFTER pref parties were over and before bid day, so of course, that PNM did not accept our bid on bid day. THAT is what ticks me off...she signed our card, ready to accept our bid, then she got mixed signals from someone in their chapter telling her "you can still be one of us...dont accept their bid"...So, since her best friend is in the other sorority, she hung out on the sidelines and watched them in their bid day festivities.
These are HUGE infractions. You need to speak to your Fraternity/Sorority Advisor. The second one is a strict silence violation in addition to bid promising. However, you will need to be 100% confident that all the details you have are correct.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen View Post
Is it true that chapters don't have to extend COR bids even if they are under quota/total?
Sure. You can't force a chapter to take people
Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is it true that chapters don't have to extend COR bids even if they are under quota/total?
Yes but it would be impact that chapter's long term rushing strength. Don't forget ANY women on campus who are f-t regularlly enrolled steudents are eligible to pledge in COR. Why on earth would a chapter not fill to capacity if the opportunity presented itself?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphigal View Post
Yes but it would be impact that chapter's long term rushing strength. Don't forget ANY women on campus who are f-t regularlly enrolled steudents are eligible to pledge in COR. Why on earth would a chapter not fill to capacity if the opportunity presented itself?
If they're only a couple of girls under total, it may very well not be worth it to COR. COR costs money and time, and depending on how far after the most recent pledge class started, a COR class may have to be it's own pledge class, which is a big pain as well.

I also get a weird feeling from the poster who asked, considering her failed attempt at rush last year. The post just seems weird. Almost like a chapter that she's interested in COR'ing told her they weren't participating, and she wants to tell them they're wrong.

Last edited by kddani; 09-23-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: used the wrong word
Old 09-28-2009, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My friend, an incoming freshman, got overly excited about COR because only 3 PNMs showed up, so she expected a bid from them.

I guess we know whose post is weird now.
Yours. No one is entitled to a bid. And COR events are usually much smaller, so 3 PNMs means nothing.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphigal View Post
Because the available PNMs suck?

Because the amount of pledges the chapter has is already more than they can handle? We all love hearing about the chapter of 50 (when the rest are 200) who suddenly gets quota of 45 one year because it means the chapter did something right in rush. We don't always stop to think about the mechanics of absorbing a pledge class the same size as the sorority.

Because as Dani said, it isn't worth the money and/or time?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Whatever...I guess if she wants to follow them around like a lost little puppy dog for a year, hoping she can get in next year, that's her choice. She looked ridiculous though. It probably never occurred to her that they didnt invite her to pref for a reason. What chapter is going to be stupid enough to cut a girl during FR, if they REALLY wanted her, especially if they are going to be above total? Sounds to me like she doesnt get the hint. I wonder if she invited herself to bid night....ya know, since her best friend is in that sorority, so she would be automatically invited to hang out anyway?

Maybe I should but this story in the stupid PNM thread.
I wanted to give you guys an update....The PNM mentioned above....The one who has sat and watched like a lost puppy dog from the sidelines for a whole year, has been cut once again by the chapter she desired to be a member of.

PNMs....if you are reading this. KEEP AN OPEN MIND. Just because you get cut from your #1 choice doesnt mean you wouldn't have had a great time somewhere else. If they didnt take you the first time doesnt mean they will take you the next opportunity they get. Some chapters DO have a once cut always cut unwritten rule that they abide by. And some sororities are SNARKY. If your attitude/actions during that full year that they've gotten to know you is less than perfect, they will scrutinize your every move about why you arent XYZ material.

I kind of feel sorry for her, but she had her chance to be greek....she chose to not accept it.

Lucily - the issue with bid promising and "dont worry, we'll snap bid you..." has been addressed. This chapter will be over total again again at the end of recruitment, so they know that whatever girls they get, they have to get through quota.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

On bid day, can a girl not accept the bid she receives and then get a snap bid from another sorority?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
On bid day, can a girl not accept the bid she receives and then get a snap bid from another sorority?
No.

If she accepts her bid she's locked. If she declines her bid she is not eligible for another bid for 1 year.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Can she drop out after she signs her pref card but before bid day? If she changes her mind about who she picked?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Once she turns in that signed bid card, she's locked in for one year. It's the signing of the card that is the contract - not the accepting of the bid. And it says so right on the bid card that she signs.(or should according to NPC)
Closed Thread