GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,533
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, agregoradarky21
» Online Users: 1,596
0 members and 1,596 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2014, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phialum View Post
And for sure, she did not have rec to one of them
Quote:
AZTheta - because I connected her with an alumna for every rec she received and she did not have a rec for one house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
You are discounting the fact that the chapter could have solicited a rec for her because they are interested in her!
In addition, you have no idea if one of her teachers, neighbors, alumnae organization or any other connection submitted one on her behalf. I am very involved in my local alumnae panhellenic, as well as my own organization's alumnae rec board, and I can say with 100% certainty that there are plenty of recs written each summer on behalf of PNMs who have no idea that the rec is being submitted.

Teachers, especially, are quite sneaky with this endeavor. They have first hand knowledge of scores of PNMs and can quite easily pound out a ton of recs with PNMs none the wiser.

(**as stated above- this should NEVER be an assumption by PNMs that the chapter, alumnae, or alumnae panhellenics will go to these lengths. PNMs should always secure a personal rec to each and every chapter.)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I would agree with all the statements regarding PNMs not knowing about recs being sent in on their behalf. I only say this because, as someone who writes tons of recs for recruitment, my own little cousin had no idea that I had contacted the chapter where she is now a member to put a bug in their ear about her coming through. Those girls knew who she was before she even stepped on campus. Unfortunately, in my organization, cousins are not considered legacies so, I let my sisters know about my cousin unbeknownst to her.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

In reference to unknown recs - when I went through my mother, bless her heart, was so sure I would be joining her sorority that she didn't really push other recommendations and I, being completely oblivious to what was rush protocol, didn't know to ask alums for them. (this was 40 years ago, before the internet and I was attending my mother's alma mater a days drive from my home) She and my dad did let their friends know I was going through and I think most of them wrote recs anyway. There was one chapter on campus neither of my parents (both active in their GLO alum groups)knew anything about. Jump ahead to pref - I had survived brutal cuts as I didn't know a single active in any chapters, had ok but not stellar grades and activities and was literally a fish out of water in a different part of the country. I had three houses left for pref and was lucky enough to receive a bid from my first choice - you can guess it was the one chapter my parents knew nothing about. Afterwards I discovered that as I was downstairs at the pref party the recommendation chair was on the phone looking for a rec for me - remember no internet - and finally tracked down my elementary school music teacher who gave a verbal rec so they could extend my bid.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I can understand that teachers may do that in some regions of the country.

But, I am assure you that suburban New York City school teachers do not do this ! unless, perhaps they are requested by the PNM. But in this case -- and in many New York suburbs who don't have an inkling of what is required at Bama -- there is no teacher who would do this unilaterally and not in this PNMS' high school in particular. It's just not the culture in New York-- and understand, I don't presume to speak for the entire Empire State!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

And, in the New York City area, the alumnae panhellenics were only helpful in two instances. And not for the "missing" rec at all!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

an error: meant to say the alumnae chapters for specific NPC groups.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my rec girls had five invites today, including to her legacy chapter! Since she's no longer returning to ADPi that's who I'm rooting for now.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

But, I am assure you that suburban New York City school teachers do not do this ! unless, perhaps they are requested by the PNM. But in this case -- and in many New York suburbs who don't have an inkling of what is required at Bama -- there is no teacher who would do this unilaterally and not in this PNMS' high school in particular. It's just not the culture in New York-- and understand, I don't presume to speak for the entire Empire State!
I agree that this would probably be a lot less likely in NYC!

I don't think anyone commenting on this thread can speak for the membership selection policies of every NPC chapter at Bama (if, for certain, a rec is required to be retained through pref, or at what point a PNM who does not have a rec is released).

There may be a chapter that doesn't require a rec for retention at this point, or even to pledge (I only know for certain the policy of my own chapter). And as others have mentioned, sometimes chapters will seek a rec during the week for a PNM if they are interested, or she becomes someone's rush crush, or she was expected to have a rec that didn't arrive, etc.

But this is by far the exception rather than the rule. It was good that you helped her secure recs prior to recruitment! This is part of the recruitment culture at Bama and essential to maximizing a PNM's options.

Good luck to your daughter. Sounds like she is having a great rush!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my, not my daughter! (yet)

Lovely girls who just graduated from my children's high school. And, very excited to be part of Bama's Greek community.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:

I'm a teacher in the Boston suburbs and I assure you that I submit many recs for my students going to schools, especially if they have mentioned sororities at all.

eta - Clearly my sorority is not at Bama, however I'm just saying in general, I've sent recs to big systems and SEC schools. The students are generally completely unaware of this. I know other teachers who do the same thing throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut. Just because we are from the northeast doesn't mean that we're clueless regarding other recruitment styles and what is necessary.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06

Last edited by sigmagirl2000; 08-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
(**as stated above- this should NEVER be an assumption by PNMs that the chapter, alumnae, or alumnae panhellenics will go to these lengths. PNMs should always secure a personal rec to each and every chapter.)
^^^
What concerns me a little about the "rec you don't know about" talk is that -- along with the usual PH statement that recs are the responsibility of the chapter -- PNMs will be less concerned with securing recs prior to recruitment. In the culture of recruitments like that at Bama, securing recs in advance of rush is essential.

Just considering the logistics alone of a recruitment this size, it is very unlikely that chapters will spend hours on the phone securing recs for a hundred cute, qualified, but rec-less girls they met for 20 minutes during Ice Water Teas when there are already well over a thousand cute and qualified girls to sort through who do have recs on file. Perhaps chapters securing recs in this manner is more common in far smaller recruitments, but in a recruitment this size, there just isn't time.

I don't know how many recs are solicited by the various chapters prior to recruitment based on a PNM's registration information, but again, considering the numbers, this is probably also limited by time and manpower. Even when a PNM looks special on paper (registration), so do 2000 other PNMs.

Secure recs for recruitments like this in advance! Regardless of Panhellenic's party line or the (unlikely) outside chance that a rec exists you don't know about.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Not trying to be catty, but I've heard from the aunt of the PNM I was hoping woould fall flat on her ungrateful face....the aunt was asking all the "what if" questions about number of invites so far and would that translate to getting a full schedule at pref. Sounds like it's not going well for the gal...my heart isn't breaking....she'll get a bid because of her family but I hope she has to take second choice....
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh my, not my daughter! (yet)

Lovely girls who just graduated from my children's high school. And, very excited to be part of Bama's Greek community.
Sorry -- I see now -- I misread and thought the PNM with the full dance card was your daughter.

So good luck to the NYC PNMs!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
^^^
What concerns me a little about the "rec you don't know about" talk is that -- along with the usual PH statement that recs are the responsibility of the chapter -- PNMs will be less concerned with securing recs prior to recruitment. In the culture of recruitments like that at Bama, securing recs in advance of rush is essential.

Secure recs for recruitments like this in advance! Regardless of Panhellenic's party line or the (unlikely) outside chance that a rec exists you don't know about.
I think the point is that we don't want PNM's to think "oh, I love XYZ and want to rank them first, but I don't have a rec, so I shouldn't even bother." The advice should be "get recs, but once rush starts, forget all about them" or something of that ilk.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sounds like it's not going well for the gal...my heart isn't breaking....she'll get a bid because of her family but I hope she has to take second choice....
If it isn't too nosy a question, did you consider a no-rec? Or did the ingratitude only come out after the rec was sent? Just wondering because when a nice person is this provoked, there's usually a good story behind it.