GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,473
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, gregrasusasda62
» Online Users: 2,229
1 members and 2,228 guests
Avalanchemii

Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Arlington (TX) Area Alumnae Panhellenic

February 24th, 2008
3 to 5 p.m.

“Tell your friends!!
If you are a senior in high school within Arlington ISD, Mansfield ISD, Grand Prairie ISD, or Kennedale ISD and you want to be in a sorority in college, then you need to attend this very important and informative meeting about how to prepare for recruitment.”

For details and more info, see
http://www.arlington-panhellenic.org/
Sorry, I don't mean to pick at a scab, but this just blows my mind.

And this: http://www.arlington-panhellenic.org/rec_steps.htm
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Acadiana (Greater Lafayette, Louisiana) Alumnae Panhellenic

For informational meeting date / time, and lots more, see:
http://www.acadianasororities.com/partic.html

http://www.acadianasororities.com/infor.html

www.acadianasororities.com
Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to pick at a scab, but this just blows my mind.

And this: http://www.arlington-panhellenic.org/rec_steps.htm
Yeah, nittanyalum, it is a little astonishing, and that's why my original post said

"If a session is being held in your area, it's probably a great idea to go if you possibly can. Whether or not you like the idea of recommendations or attending a meeting, this IS the way things are done in some areas of the U.S., and you can learn a lot, get tips (and maybe help) on getting recommendations, and make helpful contacts -- maybe even a new friend or two!

Please note that contacting / getting information from Area Alumnae Panhellenics is specifically recommended in this important posting:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/an...ment.php?f=217

"
I guess I'd rather let young women and their moms (and dads) know about these meetings -- even with the fairly elaborate "packet" processes to help with getting recs -- than for young women to be in the dark about how things are really done and end up wondering why they are only getting a few invitations at Recs-Are-A-Huge-Deal U. in Texas or the SEC.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^^Oh, I think you're providing a great service, exlurker, I really do.

My amazement just continues to be at the "grooming" that's expected to start for these girls when they still have months left in their senior year in high school. Some may not have even received all of their acceptances yet! But they still "need" to go to this session "if they want" to be in a sorority. The over-involvement of some of these alum panhellenics in these processes is astounding.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 PM

I think the info sessions are a valuable tool for those girls who are rushing at the more competitive schools. However, it concerns me that on all of these websites with of their info about the process, what to wear, how to get recs, and the FAQs of recruitment- not one of them addresses the topic of "What if I don't get a bid?" There is little mention of the possibility of not receiving a bid or being released early in the process.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-14-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Nitanyalum wrote -
My amazement just continues to be at the "grooming" that's expected to start for these girls when they still have months left in their senior year in high school. Some may not have even received all of their acceptances yet! But they still "need" to go to this session "if they want" to be in a sorority. The over-involvement of some of these alum panhellenics in these processes is astounding.[/quote]

I don't see that this preparation is any different than the prep work that goes on MONTHS before choosing a college. Think about the ACT prep classes that are taken the junior year, college visits, internet searches, etc. Sororities are a big step and like most big steps, prep work is important. Often, just like in choosing a college, during that prep work, the pnm decides that Greek life is not for her.

And, just a note regarding alum panhellenic groups: this is an important part of alum life - helping young women find their way to (or from for that matter) to Greek life.

Last edited by gee_ess; 02-14-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think the info sessions are a valuable tool for those girls who are rushing at the more competitive schools. However, it concerns me that on all of these websites with of their info about the process, what to wear, how to get recs, and the FAQs of recruitment- not one of them addresses the topic of "What if I don't get a bid?" There is little mention of the possibility of not receiving a bid or being released early in the process.

Excellent point.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM

What is an ISD? I_______ School District?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Integrated, I'm assuming.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:43 PM

Integrated how? Like consolidated?

Quote:
Therefore, it is suggested that you dress as you would for a school, religious, or family party, not as you would if you were going out with your friends.
I like this very gentle way of saying "don't dress like a damn hoochie."
Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Independent School District
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
My amazement just continues to be at the "grooming" that's expected to start for these girls when they still have months left in their senior year in high school. Some may not have even received all of their acceptances yet! But they still "need" to go to this session "if they want" to be in a sorority. The over-involvement of some of these alum panhellenics in these processes is astounding.
I agree that some of the wording may not have been the best choice. However, I don't see it as over-involvement. In some cases, it is the college panhellenics coming to us asking us to help them promote their recruitment. We provide a venue where members can promote the system to the PMs and their parents. We usually have about 5 or 6 schools represented.

Also as an alumna, it is my responsibility to provide MIFs (recs) to our collegiate chapters. If I don't know who is going through recruitment, how can I get our chapters the information that they need? These information sessions help us to know who is thinking about going through recruitment and we take it from there.

Last edited by aopirose; 02-14-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI

We always had actives for a question and answer session, so if any pnm had a question about not getting a bid, etc., they could ask then.

I have the privilege and the responsibility of recommending young women to Gamma Phi chapters for membership - APHs really help me do that.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Integrated how? Like consolidated?
LOL, as opposed to segregated? I recall seeing 'Integrated' on some school buses. In this case, I'm sure it is Independent, as Blondie said.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
LOL, as opposed to segregated? I recall seeing 'Integrated' on some school buses. In this case, I'm sure it is Independent, as Blondie said.
Yes, as a product of an ISD in Texas, I assure you it is independent, though I did giggle at the "integrated/segregated" suggestion.

In Texas, there are not city/county school systems like in other parts of the country where I have lived. People that live in the "county" are typically part of the nearby city's ISD. Or, in my case, a group of surburban cities get together an form an ISD. Don't even get me started on how the funding for this is determined... the state has been battling this for over 20 years, even though there are 49 other models from which to see what works. Whatever.

But.. this is boring chat. Just wanted to inform.

Back to the regular postings....