GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,230
1 members and 2,229 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-05-2000, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Former pledges coming back?

I have a question...my older brother's (biological)wife pledged a sorority (Chi-O I think) when she was in college, but never initiated due to several reasons but she never technically depledged either. She was VERY active in her chapter (pledge class VP, several committees, etc. ) but left school before initiation. Although it has been several years, the fact that she never initiated is something that still bothers her. What is the policy about former pledges being specially initiated after the fact? And FYI, she is now married with a child. I know this is similar to another question posed here, but I think this case may be different because she is a former pledge who just didn't finish the program.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2000, 05:50 PM

Talking

She should probably contact XO and ask them about becoming an alumna initiate. Even though we're talking about XO, here is something interesting from the AOPi website:

"AOPi Alumna Initiates are:
-Female friends and relatives of an AOII.
-Women who have given their time and talents to an AOII collegiate chapter.
-Former colony members and other past collegians who were pledged into an AOII collegiate chapter, but were not initiated."

Even though she wasn't in a "colony" per se, she did pledge Chi Omega but never got initiated....so I think Chi Omega might be open minded to initiating her as an alumnae initiate (but I could be wrong too).

I believe that Chi Omega does have alumnae initiates (but not all NPC groups do alumnae initiations...for example, Kappa Kappa Gamma does NOT have alumnae initiates).

Let us know what happens....this is an interesting scenario.

Old 12-05-2000, 05:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike4Life:
[B]What is the policy about former pledges being specially initiated after the fact? And FYI, she is now married with a child[B]
Another thing, if a woman is going to be an "alumna initiate", it is "okay" if she is married and has a child.

Old 12-05-2000, 05:58 PM

Thumbs up

Me again (sorry...I keep thinking of stuff to add).

A lot of the NPC sororities do have a small blurb on "alumnae initiates".

For example...
Alpha Phi:
Alpha Phi Fraternity offers alumnae initiate membership to outstanding women who are committed to the principles of friendship, sisterhood and support. Whether they chose not to take advantage of sorority membership as a collegian, did not have the opportunity at their college or did not attend college, they can become Alpha Phis. The proposed candidate cannot be an initiated member of another NPC group or currently meet qualifications for collegiate chapter membership.

Gamma Phi Beta:
Gamma Phi Beta welcomes into membership qualified women who never joined a National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) sorority in college. This program allows alumnae members to invite outstanding women to share the pride of being a Gamma Phi Beta. After a short training period, the candidate is initiated at a nearby collegiate chapter.
If you are interested in recommending a woman for membership or in becoming a sponsor, contact the member relations team at International Headquarters.

Alpha Sigma Tau:
Alpha Sigma Tau offers an alumna affiliate membership to women who did not have the opportunity to join a sorority when they were in college. Close friends and relatives of sisters who practice the ideals of Alpha Sigma Tau may find out more about participating in this program through the alumnae association in their area, or by contacting the Director of Alumnae.

This should get her started off nicely...but I think alumnae initiates is the way to go for your Sister In Law's situation.

Let us know how it all turns out!!