GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,310
4 members and 1,306 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 08-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

In the South, it's not just the one-minute videos. Members have been looking at the girls' applications and trying to learn more about them for months! No one wants to drop an outstanding woman.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2020, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think those Pnm informational videos can really help or hurt the pnm. My daughter has been watching many because they begin virtual recruitment next week. Some Pnms have very polished videos with great information about themselves. Others look like they just rolled out of bed, have weird lighting, weird camera angles. Some did not put their best foot forward.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Yeah, I know the grade cuts are large in the first round (and that makes sense). But outside of that and other resume items, 1 minute videos just don’t seem like enough to judge. I know cuts have to happen and it’s a numbers game, I just can imagine some ladies slip through the cracks.
The videos were *optional* at dd’s school. She chose not to do one and still got a bid to her favorite. It’s probably different from school to school. Their video was only supposed to be from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGreen View Post
The videos were *optional* at dd’s school. She chose not to do one and still got a bid to her favorite. It’s probably different from school to school. Their video was only supposed to be from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Not everyone directs like a Jane Campion or preens like a famous entertainer. Having videos as an OPTION seems more fair to those who may not be up to the task [for whatever reason].

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Still-- it's next to impossible to meet about cutting down a list of 2000 to say, 600 once recruitment has started. Or even 1000 to 400.

Grade cuts and QR cuts can easily be done ahead of time but then if you're at a school like the University of Georgia where all freshmen meet the grade standards, you need to somehow cut those numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Not everyone directs like a Jane Campion or preens like a famous entertainer. Having videos as an OPTION seems more fair to those who may not be up to the task [for whatever reason].

Making videos optional - would that just give the chapters another arbitrary reason to cut a PNM when they are grasping for reasons to cut after first round?

True and Constant
Old 08-22-2020, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Making videos optional - would that just give the chapters another arbitrary reason to cut a PNM when they are grasping for reasons to cut after first round?
Yes. Makes sense to make them requisite - that way you won't have girls and their mamas crying foul when the PNM didn't submit one and then they say "well, we didn't know it was THAT important!"

Someone earlier wrote about seeing them on YouTube so I looked - it was a cute way to see a girl, get a sense of her personality and for some, really get a great sense of who they are; one gal from Texas going to Univ of Arkansas did a fantastic video that went beyond the normal A, B, C - she totally sparkled.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
Yes. Makes sense to make them requisite - that way you won't have girls and their mamas crying foul when the PNM didn't submit one and then they say "well, we didn't know it was THAT important!"
Yes. "Videos are optional" - that sure sounds a lot like when Panhellenic says "recs aren't required".

True and Constant
Old 08-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

I would think that they're both for the same reason :that a Panhellenic council can't actually tell its chapters how to recruit.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the South, it's not just the one-minute videos. Members have been looking at the girls' applications and trying to learn more about them for months! No one wants to drop an outstanding woman.

Apparently most PNM's didn't want to drop outstanding chapters either.
Daughter just finished virtual recruitment as a PNM at Arkansas. They had 1533 girls go through recruitment 1440(ish) got bids today - something like 94% placement rate. Daughter is over the moon happy with where she ended up. That was the end goal and it was accomplished.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

That is fabulous! Congratulations to her!!!
Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Congrats to your daughter! A 94% placement rate does sound great! I wonder how many of those dropped out because they didn't like their invites,and how many were dropped by all of the chapters?
Old 08-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Do any colleges or Panhellenics ever list how many new members actually made it to initiation or even how many accepted their bids? I think that retention should be a big part of studying RFM.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Do any colleges or Panhellenics ever list how many new members actually made it to initiation or even how many accepted their bids? I think that retention should be a big part of studying RFM.
Yes, I agree. It's all well and good to ensure that more women get bids. But if they drop at higher rates than before RFM, then chapters may need to look at what can be done differently to KEEP members once they get them!
Old 08-23-2020, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Hoping to hear how things went at Florida State; I think this is their Bid Day.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hearing that UF is having major equipment failure right now. The members and PNMs must be going nuts.