GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,521
0 members and 1,521 guests
No Members online

Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

She's certainly an interesting figure, and yes, it is definitely HER take on it, not everyone's. I'll go back and clarify that
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
To shed as much light as a corn-fed white girl can on the 'k' spelling thing...

In my sociology class, we read the biography of Assata Shakur, and this is her take on the usage of 'k' instead of 'c'. She used that commonly, for a lot of things [kourt for court, afrikan, etc]. What we were informed is that the use of the k indicates a racism or biased system. For example: she uses kourt instead of court to denote the system in which she was tried, because it was racially slanted against her. Apparently the k is used because of the KKK.

In the same light, an "afrikan" according to Assata is a black person who has "sold out" to the white-centered society.

I have no idea if there are other meanings or whatever, so please don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong!
That reminds me...I learned of a Greek organization (I don't think it's NPHC) whose name is "Krimson Kourts".
Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
That reminds me...I learned of a Greek organization (I don't think it's NPHC) whose name is "Krimson Kourts".
It's (one of the) the "sweetheart" auxiliary for Kappa Alpha Psi. I don't think it's official or anything, though.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
People who join NPHC orgs as graduates aren't really going to get the same experience as they would as a collegian.
I meant more the chapter operations and things like that - example:

Collegian: misses meetings without an excuse, gets a fine or probation or called in front of standards
Alumna: misses meetings without an excuse, absolutely nothing happens.

Collegian: doesn't pay dues, gets terminated from the sorority
Alumna: doesn't pay dues, absolutely nothing happens (note: I do not mean local alum chapter dues)

It was my understanding that in NPHC groups, the grad chapters have the same requirements about things like this as the undergrad chapters do.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It was my understanding that in NPHC groups, the grad chapters have the same requirements about things like this as the undergrad chapters do.

Chapter operations are similar but not the same.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Chapter operations are similar but not the same.
But more similar than what I laid out, right?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But more similar than what I laid out, right?
Going back to your original statement, similar chapter operations does not mean that people will get the same experience as an alum as they would as a collegiate. The specific differences from NPC to NPHC collegiate-alumnae are examples of differences. Beyond that, the differences depend on a number of factors. The difference in chapter operations from collegiate to alumnae (that still vary to some degree on the specific chapters' dynamics) is one of them.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 11-08-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM

I didn't mean that a woman who joins DST as a 20 year old undergrad will get the exact same experience as a 40 year old joining as an alum. Obviously there are things in college that you can't recreate.

But my point was that to say AI in NPC and grad membership in NPHC are not the same thing at all. If people are advocating a woman joinan NPC as an AI and it'll be the same as a collegiate experience, she'll be very disappointed. There aren't mixers or formals or mandatory anythings. Some alum chapters are more "businesslike" and have tons of activities for their members and some consist of getting together and having dinner twice a year. It runs a huge gamut, whereas pretty much EVERY collegiate chapter has essentially the same structure - weekly meetings, mixers, etc. - whether they have 12 women or 200. They have to, it's in their group's bylaws.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the poster found out what she wanted and saw that she did not want to be here?

Can anyone blame Her?

Thanks for helping someone asking a question.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Well, the poster found out what she wanted and saw that she did not want to be here?

Can anyone blame Her?

Thanks for helping someone asking a question.
Right. Because no matter what anyone asks we should always say "GREAT!!!!! I'm sure it will work out wonderfully!!!!" She asked a question and got an honest answer from people with experience in the subject. Stop trying to turn everything into something it's not.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Unregistered-

FWIW, the poster hasn't logged on since October 29, the day she registered and started this thread, so no one really should assume that she was turned off by the responses to this thread.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
FWIW, the poster hasn't logged on since October 29, the day she registered and started this thread, so no one really should assume that she was turned off by the responses to this thread.
If she doesn't log on before this month is over, then I think it would be safe to say that she wasn't that interested in getting advice.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I meant more the chapter operations and things like that - example:

Collegian: misses meetings without an excuse, gets a fine or probation or called in front of standards
Alumna: misses meetings without an excuse, absolutely nothing happens.

Collegian: doesn't pay dues, gets terminated from the sorority
Alumna: doesn't pay dues, absolutely nothing happens (note: I do not mean local alum chapter dues)

I see what you're saying here and you're right but I also understand what DSTCHAOS is saying and she is also correct. For example, our alumnae chapters do have mandatory programs and processes that are very similar to our undergrad chapters although some things are handled differently. Also there are some things that vary between the different alumnae chapters because of their specific chapter bylaws. Overall though the alumnae chapters are a part of the sorority, get to vote, and are not part of an Alumni Association.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 11-09-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't mean that a woman who joins DST as a 20 year old undergrad will get the exact same experience as a 40 year old joining as an alum.
Cool.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
Rhoyaltempest,
I don't know how many people are for or against AI. I've not taken a formal poll...what I do know is that I can liken a lot of what we (NPC members) have seen on GC is a lot of sorority shoppers as well as those who sought membership as undergrads, were denied for whatever reason, but yet still grasp the dream of being a member of ANY organization that will take them...so they seek out information on several groups at once and see who bites on the line (so to speak). I can gather from my reading of NPHC boards/posts that the same type of behaviour (i.e. expressing interest in multiple NPHC orgs) seems to be highly discouraged if not down right looked very poorly upon.

I feel the same way, and I will admit it openly. Does that mean I am anti AI? Not all all, I think there are many wonderful women who are now AOIIs that came in through Alumnae Initiation. Some people here on GC, and some in the past who have departed to other message boards seemed to push the idea on anyone who couldn't get in during "normal" recruitment, or those who just said they were interested. A lot of the NPC members (even AIs) have gotten tired of the questions about membership that way...because some were saying it was super easy to do...which for the most part it's not.

I can say that my organization is much like yours in that if there is not the alumnae support from a local alum group or several it does not seem like we would even consider colonization at that college or university.
so now I wanna understand this better....you compared this to someone "shopping" for a NPHC sorority which is frowned upon...this is because most of us (NPHCers) feel as if you should feel ONE sorority/organization in your heart and continue to pursue that org for as long as it takes...but from my understanding of your (NPC) undergrad process, you don't know where you are going to end up anyway, right....so whats the difference if a person does that at the graduate level...or why is wrong for a young woman to have wanted XYZ undergrad, not get a bid, then try at the graudate level??? IMO it shows dedication to your org to try again...I have a linesister who tried 3 times before making it...I know that if she had not made it then she would have tried at the graduate level...she loves Delta and what it stands for that much....the post I've read here about the AI process makes it seems to an outsider looking in as if the NPC members feel that someone is SOL if they don't get a bid undergrad....is this true?? If so are your alumnae chapters only for members who were initiated undergrad to continue their activitites in the organizations...???

ETA: I re-read the post that I quoted and I'm also curious abouts wrong if a woman was not interested in greek life undergrad but now once she's estabished is??? Why is that a bad thing??? Again, just curiousity here from the other side...

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...

Last edited by OOhsoflyDELTA#9; 11-12-2007 at 03:50 PM.