GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,401
2 members and 1,399 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 10-29-2005, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Hypothetical question

This has nothing to do with me and I don't want this post to go haywire and I don't want everyone to bash me for asking this but:

Say that Ellen Sue attended a southern school with competitive rush. She decided to forgo joining a sorority in her freshman year to concentrate on her grades (despite having good grades in high school). At the end of her freshman year, she had a 3.58 GPA and is involved in Residence Hall Assoication and the Honors program. She had participated in several clubs and community service in high school. She was vice president of her German Club in her senior year.

However, when Ellen Sue rushed in her sophomore year, she was released from all of the 12 sororities at the end out round three, the round before pref night, possibly because of her class standing (Ellen Sue doesn't know why she was cut, of course). Then, she was cut from infromal rush from one of the sororities. Then, in her junior year, she was cut again by all of the sororities at the end of round two. She gave up afterwards.

She had a good reason on why she wanted to be greek. Also, she was very friendly and well mannered.

The question is:
Do you believe that Ellen Sue (and other girls like her) had made a mistake on waiting until after their freshman year to participate in rush?

I don't want anyone to get mad at me, please.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 PM

That situation sucks but it's very true of many schools with competitive recruitments. Though there are exceptions, getting a bid after freshman year is unlikely.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Yes, I would say her class standing definitely played a role, since it was a very competitive rush. Though she sounds like a stellar candidate, there are also many stellar freshmen.

Though snaps for her for trying so hard! She sounds like a great girl.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Class standing may have had something to do with it, BUT....

She may have had the personality of a wet mop.

She may have been just not memorable at all.

She may have looked like a homeless person.

She may have been rude to sisters or other rushees.

She may have been annoying.

Grades and involvement in some organizations are nice, but that alone doesn't make someone a "great girl" or a good candidate in rush. Personality and presentation mean much more than that. We don't know why she was cut. Yes, sophomores may have less of a chance at some schools, but some still usually get bids.

There's a million other reasons besides class standing that may have gotten her cut. It seems like you're looking for an easy out, one thing that's not personal to blame it on.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:45 PM

In this case, yes, Ellen Sue screwed up. She should have rushed her freshman year.

The mindset at these schools is if there are a billion cute, intelligent, personable, involved freshmen who can be active and pay dues for four years (theoretically) why bother with a sophomore who will only be there for three, unless she's a famous movie star or something that will bring lots of prestige to the chapter. I don't think Res Hall association and German Club cut it on that score.

I agree with what she wanted to do and think the overemphasis on class standing is asinine, but in this case, she made a very bad move.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I'm thinking class standing had a lot to do with it, and that sucks, but...that's just how it is. My school wasn't even that competitive (although it's still not a cakewalk) and I was cut by several of the sororities who have a reputation for preferring freshmen. Maybe we should concentrate on letting high school seniors know that if they plan to attend a school known for having a competitive rush, they need to sign up for rush during their freshman year and not wait.