GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,469
1 members and 1,468 guests
naraht

Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
Right no one knows the reasons, except for the letter written by one of the fraternities in an attempt to be cruel?

My question bore on the level of what to do.

There is some level of personal and emotional vestment coming in these responses. is there some personal fear of anyone with a learning disability being admitted in your fraternity or sorority?
As are in the questions...
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I call BS on this thread. I don't buy that a person wouldn't understand why a person with educational and psychological problems wouldn't get chosen to join a college fraternity at the undergraduate level.

If you want to help your buddy, help him find the resources he needs to advance his socialization skills. A fraternity isn't the avenue for that, it's the destination.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I call BS on this thread. I don't buy that a person wouldn't understand why a person with educational and psychological problems wouldn't get chosen to join a college fraternity at the undergraduate level.

If you want to help your buddy, help him find the resources he needs to advance his socialization skills. A fraternity isn't the avenue for that, it's the destination.
I don't think its BS but I do think the OP is the "friend" who wasn't given a bid (hence why the OP can't grasp what people here are telling him).
Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225
There is some level of personal and emotional vestment coming in these responses. is there some personal fear of anyone with a learning disability being admitted in your fraternity or sorority?
If we told you that disabilities were scary, gross things and we have never let anyone who has disabilities into our Greek systems, and we never ever EVER will, would that satisfy you? It really seems like that's what you're fishing for.

Everyone has already answered your questions adequately and, I think, rather politely considering your attitude. You're trying to pick fights. We had nothing to do with you/your friend being rejected. Your beef is not with us. Sorry if you don't like the answers provided.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My friend has been there a lot for me and for many people, he doesn't have a lot of friends because no one really accepts him as a result of the disability..
Which is it - your friend has "been there a lot for me and for many people", which would suggest he has "many" friends, or "he doesn't have a lot of friends" ?

If he in fact has social issues with other people then there is your answer; he may not have been given a bid because of social awkwardness or lack of social skills. Maybe. WE DON'T KNOW.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a thought, you stated he had learning disabilities that was the stated reason for his rejection. If he is taking remedial classes or classes that do not lead to a degree as a result of his disability, THAT could preclude his membership. The vast majority of GLOs require that you be registered in a "degree seeking course of study."
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to mention - the ADA means colleges will accommodate learning disabilities to the best of their ability, so I'm not sure how learning disabilities would factor into a bid decision unless his g.p.a. is not adequate or, as Titchou pointed out, he is not in a course of study leading to a degree.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
If he in fact has social issues with other people then there is your answer; he may not have been given a bid because of social awkwardness or lack of social skills. Maybe. WE DON'T KNOW.
This. If you don't have good social skills, you probably won't receive bids from social fraternities.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

I think the OP is the "friend." 99.9% of the "friends" on GC are really the OPs.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right no one knows the reasons, except for the letter written by one of the fraternities in an attempt to be cruel?

My question bore on the level of what to do.

No one here believes a fraternity would send a letter like this. It isn't done unless you have some kind of local doing their own thing there. The only letter I can see someone sending you is a cease and desist if you're being even 10% as annoying, repetitive and obtuse as you are being here. It certainly isn't rush season and hasn't been for a while, so this shows me you've been pursuing this for quite some time. Not healthy or productive for you, and yeah, I don't think there's any friend involved either.

What to do? See a mental health professional stat. Obsessing about this is not healthy.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As are in the questions...
It is regarding a friend and what I found extremely odd is how fraternities and sororities are above the law. I would like to know the reasoning as to why that is.

Quote:
Everyone has already answered your questions adequately and, I think, rather politely considering your attitude. You're trying to pick fights. We had nothing to do with you/your friend being rejected. Your beef is not with us. Sorry if you don't like the answers provided.
if the answers weren't simple denial it was an acceptance that this is a normal behavior and that nothing can be done. for some reason these groups are above the law?

Quote:
Which is it - your friend has "been there a lot for me and for many people", which would suggest he has "many" friends, or "he doesn't have a lot of friends" ?
Why is it one or the other? yes he has helped a lot of people, done a lot, yet they in turn bully him after he helped him.

Quote:
I have written several times and not sure why I continue to have to. But the fraternity written an actual letter not only being derogatory but their actions after he tried to join which included trying to get others to bully him.

Quote:
Just a thought, you stated he had learning disabilities that was the stated reason for his rejection. If he is taking remedial classes or classes that do not lead to a degree as a result of his disability, THAT could preclude his membership. The vast majority of GLOs require that you be registered in a "degree seeking course of study."
No receives extended time, note taker and use of notes on tests.

I have to again state this, the fraternity wrote a letter and stapled it to his door in the dorms. It read "we reject you, we do not want any motherf***ing retards in our frat. dont dare showing your face. you do we will kick the s*** out of you go f****ing die. go sit in your special ed classes"

are you sure it has nothing to do with the disability?

Quote:
learning disabilities would factor into a bid decision
people are never bully others? fraternities never bully?

I actually contacted someone within my law school about this, another student, about to graduate. they wrote:

Quote:
Their answers are profoundly ignorant and lacking in logic. I really hope that none of them are majoring in English or Law. A group can be exclusive but not discriminatory and discrimination is wrong.

Fraternity and sorority groups are all managed by a central organization that has to register itself with the IRS as a business or non-profit organization. Businesses that work across different states cannot discriminate; those that use any supplies from different states also cannot discriminate. Non profit organizations must not only adhere to the set rules for businesses but also adhere to rules set by the IRS for non profit organizations specifically. With the passage of the ADA in 1990 made those with disabilities a protected class.

Secondly, organizations that run all the fraternities and sororities do not want any negative attention given to their group so allowing any discrimination would not be tolerated or they would pull the charters.
Thirdly, if they written a letter, sent text messages referring to him with derogatory language in order to get other to bully and performed other actions then I would say he should contact the school, headquarters of the fraternity and a lawyer. While this hasn’t really been brought to trial before, idea that fraternities can discriminate is a joke.

Last edited by sammysammy225; 01-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude. Shut up.

ETA: LOL @ this law student saying "if they written a letter" -- GFTOH

Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Yeah...the OP is definitely the "friend."
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
No one here believes a fraternity would send a letter like this. It isn't done unless you have some kind of local doing their own thing there. The only letter I can see someone sending you is a cease and desist if you're being even 10% as annoying, repetitive and obtuse as you are being here. It certainly isn't rush season and hasn't been for a while, so this shows me you've been pursuing this for quite some time. Not healthy or productive for you, and yeah, I don't think there's any friend involved either.

What to do? See a mental health professional stat. Obsessing about this is not healthy.
i personally dislike any discrimination in any form, when i see it happen i dislike it.

this was done by the local chapter, i do not even think the national organization is aware of what happened. this letter was just stapled to the dorm's door and was handwritten.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have to again state this, the fraternity wrote a letter and stapled it to his door in the dorms. It read "we reject you, we do not want any motherf***ing retards in our frat. dont dare showing your face. you do we will kick the s*** out of you go f****ing die. go sit in your special ed classes"
LOL

Please shut the fuck up. This is ridiculous and you look like an idiot.