GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,745
1 members and 2,744 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
Well that doesn't mean crapp to most Greeks.
I wasn't saying that any greeks would give a crap, but it is just something to think about.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2003, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
Quote:
Well that doesn't mean crapp to most Greeks.
Oh, but it does. I go to Jacksonville State in Alabama, where I think approximately 95% (that could be wrong, but the number is extremely high) of all students are on some form of financial aid, be it government money or scholarships. Our Greek population does not make up the entire leftover 5%. I'm on a full tuition scholarship myself, and without it, I would not be in college. So if I'm ever faced with the choice of "Do I want to make the choice to keep my scholarship, thereby staying in school and making something of myself, or risk losing not only my scholarship, but my livelihood as well just to haze new members?" I think you all know which one I would choose. And that is a purely selfish point of view, not taking into consideration the fact that I believe hazing is wrong, no matter how you look at it. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gart
Lightbulb

I think something that most of you people don’t understand what hazing is all about. At my college every fraternity and sorority hazes. One reason they do it is because it is tradition and everyone else had to do it so why shouldn’t the pledges. My fraternity is probably the worst on hazing at my school. I pledged for 6 weeks and it was the hardest 6 weeks of my life. I could give you some horror stories about what i went through but i don’t think that most of you are ready for it. The reason we haze is because it builds a bond between the pledge brothers. Now that I am a brother I couldn’t have better friends than the guys I went through hell with. If you don’t want to be hazed then don’t join an organization that hazes it is that simple. I don’t see why some people start to pledge get hazed then file a lawsuit that’s just dumb. If you don’t want to do it then quit don’t be an a**hole and screw it up for all the people who were willing to put in the effort. Guys hazing can be really bad but for the people who want to join an organization with a very strong brotherhood hazing will bring you closer than anything. We do not participate in any form of public humiliation and we do not hit the pledges what happens in the house stays in the house i think that is the way it should be, and hitting a pledge is just dumb i can see why some people do it though because of tradition and that should be strong too but why would you hit someone that is going to be your brother? And to the people who say they wouldn’t risk losing their financial aid over hazing obviously haven’t been hazed because I know that anyone in my fraternity would risk whatever it took to save our fraternity that’s an example of how hazing makes you more dedicated to your organization.

Last edited by gart; 10-06-2003 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Paging Deltalum, Paging Deltalum
Old 10-06-2003, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Yawn

That's a pretty sorry argument

* Hazing is illegal. Almost every state has a law against hazing
* Every national organization has a policy against hazing
Between these two things, obviously more than just a couple people think it's wrong.

* Why the f%#@ would you want to be friends with someone who put you through hell? Is this a new phenomenon? Be friends with the people who treat you worst in life.

* Last time I checked, a fraternity or sorority was bigger than just a new member class. Being friends with just your pledge class means nada. Pretty crappy brotherhood then if you're only friends with people you pledged with. Oh wait, maybe you'd be friends with the people who did these countless horror stories to you.

* People only sue when they get hurt. In fact, you have to suffer some sort of injury to even bring suit in an American court. People don't just start getting hazed and drop out and bring a law suit. They sue b/c they were injured or died because of the hazing. You don't have to hit someone to hurt them, there are a lot of other ways.

* So people are willing to risk their entire education for your brotherhood? That doesn't speak very highly to the purposes and aims of your brotherhood, whatever it is. Education is the reason that all of us were in college. Any fraternity that would even ALLOW you to risk your financial aid for it isn't much of a fraternity.
* Anyone else not surprised this is the person's first post?

* And finallly, it takes a REAL man to stand up for what they know is right. It takes a weak follower to be hazed.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Now, kddani, I know sometimes I don't agree with everything you say but this time I'm totally with you. I don't see the point of hazing. (When I say "hazing," I'm talking about hazing and not scavenger hunts and stuff.) My stepdad's fraternity hazed a lot, but he stood up to the actives and guess what? They initiated him anyway. I think they liked him the more for it. I could tell you some more of his stories besides the ones I've mentioned before in various other threads, but I just don't think certain people who come on here extolling the virtues of hazing could handle it.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Now, kddani, I know sometimes I don't agree with everything you say but this time I'm totally with you. I don't see the point of hazing. (When I say "hazing," I'm talking about hazing and not scavenger hunts and stuff.) My stepdad's fraternity hazed a lot, but he stood up to the actives and guess what? They initiated him anyway. I think they liked him the more for it. I could tell you some more of his stories besides the ones I've mentioned before in various other threads, but I just don't think certain people who come on here extolling the virtues of hazing could handle it.

Yea, I was actually surprised by kddani's post.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, since when have I ever been in support of hazing in any way, shape, or form that my post would suprise anyone?

ETA: I'm not trying to be snippy i'm genuinely curious as to when I ever supported hazing.

Last edited by kddani; 10-06-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:06 PM

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

These fraternities and sororities that still haze have been lucky. They've been lucky that none of their new members have been hurt while being hazed. One day, their luck is going to run out and they're going to have some BIG problems. Not only will the hazing be put to an end but so will the fraternity/sorority and all the members' stay at that university as well. There is also the possibility of jail time. If you accidently hurt or kill a new member while hazing them, you can be thrown in jail. From what I've heard, jail is not a fun place to be.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Gart, you must have been hit on the head during your "wonderful" hazing experience. So we'll show some grace and chalk it up as temporary insanity.

For the record, my pledge class had and still do have, a very close relationship. And we weren't hazed so your arguments carry no currency here.

In civilized worlds, we demonstrate our commitment to people and organizations by giving freely of our time, talent and treasure. We're there to celebrate good times and to comfort in bad times.

I don't buy for one second that hazing is needed to create a lasting bond of friendship.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Very well said, Girlene
Old 10-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlene
Gart, you must have been hit on the head during your "wonderful" hazing experience. So we'll show some grace and chalk it up as temporary insanity.

For the record, my pledge class had and still do have, a very close relationship. And we weren't hazed so your arguments carry no currency here.

In civilized worlds, we demonstrate our commitment to people and organizations by giving freely of our time, talent and treasure. We're there to celebrate good times and to comfort in bad times.

I don't buy for one second that hazing is needed to create a lasting bond of friendship.

Well said Girlene. However, you'd think it'd be different joing a fraternity rather than joing a sorority. It's just a feeling I have that sororities would be less likely to haze than fraternities.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I'm sorry, since when have I ever been in support of hazing in any way, shape, or form that my post would suprise anyone?

ETA: I'm not trying to be snippy i'm genuinely curious as to when I ever supported hazing.

If this message was in reference to my comment, I never implied that you supported hazing. I was just surprised to see you say something that most people would agree with. I, like achtungbaby80, sometimes don't agree with most of the stuff you say. I didn't mean for it to sound like you supported hazing. I'm sorry.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
Well said Girlene. However, you'd think it'd be different joing a fraternity rather than joing a sorority. It's just a feeling I have that sororities would be less likely to haze than fraternities.
I think that building bonds that last require a level of intimacy that women are more comfortable and in general, are better at doing. So maybe fraternities feel the need to haze because the men don't know what else to do, but they need to get over it and learn.

I don't see how hazing is any different from domestic or child abuse(physical, mental, emothional) .

It's a horrible misuse of authority and of power over another individual. And too often the line is crossed from "fun stuff" to "abuse" because people get an adrenalyn rush or high off of their power trip and it feels good-unfortunately at another person's expense.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlene
too often the line is crossed from "fun stuff" to "abuse" because people get an adrenalyn rush or high off of their power trip and it feels good-unfortunately at another person's expense.

Nahhhh, it's just the brothers are drunk. You gotta be a pretty sick individual to get an adrenalyn rush or a high off of a power trip at the expense of another person's misfortune. Everyone does stupid stuff when they're drunk, thats why they get drunk before they haze you.
Closed Thread