GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,109
0 members and 2,109 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2023, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Living in house as new member

What schools have their students move into their fraternity/sorority houses as new members? I know the University of Washington does this, but what other schools do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2023, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

DIdn't Indiana when they had bed rush?
Old 06-20-2023, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Titchou I believe so, however not positive. I am uncertain about other campuses. The whole housing issue is confusing to me. Then again I am easily confused lately. Just ask AZ Alpha-Xi.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-20-2023, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Several schools used to do rush quota based on House Capacity (bed rush). but what the OP is talking about are schools that have the New Members move into the house directly after bid day. U Wash is the only one that I have heard does that. (Their rush is before classes start, so a Freshman can live 4 full years in the house, and only spend rush week in the dorms.)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:06 PM

When I was at MIT *mumble* years ago, if you joined a fraternity or independent living group (think coed local fraternities, though one is all-female and one is all-male), you moved into the house as soon as you signed. Only one sorority had a house (out of 6 - 4 NPCs, 1 NPHC, 1 local) and the house wasn't big enough for all the sisters, never mind NMs.

These days, freshmen can rush and pledge GLOs, but all freshmen must live in the dorms.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

When Arkansas had bed rush, they had that. The bad thing was that PNMs didn't sign up for a dorm room for the next year (you had to be a sophomore to rush) because they figured they would be moving into a sorority house in the fall. If they were dropped from rush, they had to go stand in a verrrry long line at Housing and try to get a room.

And that line was so long because often, over half the rushees (due to bed rush) didn't get a bid.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:02 AM

@carnation, so PNMs weren't advised to sign up for a dorm room just in case they didn't match?

At MIT, all freshmen were advised to go through dorm rush. Yes, we had dorm rush. All frosh got temp rooms within the dorm system. All dorms had events including tours and BBQs and the infamous gravity demonstration, because every dorm (and often every floor/entry within a dorm) had its own unique character. It was highly suggested that frosh should go through dorm rush. Women interested in sororities were pretty much guaranteed to spend at least one year in the dorms, because only one sorority chapter had a house when I rushed. People interested in fraternities and/or ILGs moved in as soon as they signed, but what if they didn't get a bid to a group they liked, or what if they didn't get a bid at all - best to hedge your bets by going through dorm rush and rank-ordering the dorms so you didn't end up scrambling for a spot in the worst dorm on campus.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
@carnation, so PNMs weren't advised to sign up for a dorm room just in case they didn't match?
You couldn't sign up for a dorm room if you were rushing; Housing felt like you would be taking the place of a freshman who really needed the room when you might not. When I look back, it really makes me angry. Here was that line of girls who had been cut going halfway down the block on the most public street on campus. It got longer every day because some groups would keep their parties big just for eye candy.

Then if they got a dorm room, it was in the worst and most far away dorms, whereas they would've gotten the best dorms if they'd signed up when everyone else did.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
DIdn't Indiana when they had bed rush?
No, they did not because recruitment is in January and most people were in dorm leases. Chapters that participated in informal in the fall did encourage new members to move in immediately or in January.