GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,468
4 members and 2,464 guests
flamboyanttree, g41965, zellaittoz5360

Old 07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

The Passing of Alpha Brother Dr. Bernard Levin

Quote:
Bro. Dr. Bernard Levin, the first non African American to be initiated into Alpha Phi Alpha, via Theta Chapter, has made his transition into Omega Chapter. Bro. Levin passed away at the age of 84 on May 28, 2008 after a distinguished 40 plus year career as a professor of dentistry at the University of Southern California.

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/update...MIN_levin.html

The following is a write up on Bro. Levin prepared by brothers of the District of Illinois:

"On Friday, June 21, 1946, Brother Bernard Levin was initiated as the first non-Black member of Alpha Phi Alpha. He was pledged through Theta (Pledge Master's name was Brother William Jones) chapter at the University of Chicago along with four other gentlemen -- Brother Spencer Hardy, Brother James Gaither, Brother William Rhetta and Brother Hershel Wallace.

At the time, Brother Levin was a 22--year-old Chicago native, studying dentistry at the University of Illinois. His interest in Alpha had been sparked by one of his friends at DePaul University, as well as his belief that Alpha Phi Alpha engages in constructive community, national and international activity. In addition, he felt as though "the other fraternities had nothing to offer except social affairs." Thus, Alpha was the only logical choice for a fraternity.

It is interesting to note that a 1946 article in Ebony Magazine on Brother Levin provides several pictures of him and his line brothers performing various tasks for big brothers -- shining big brothers shoes, cleaning trophies won by Theta chapter, cleaning the front of the chapter house, getting 150 brothers signatures on a large cardboard "A," and being paddled. What may be more interesting is that Brother Levin's initiation takes place prior to 1952 when the word "Negro" was allegedly stricken from the Constitution for the final time."

My condolences to the brothers of Alpha Ph Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and to Dr. Levin's friends and family.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Condolences to the Levin Family at this time of bereavement.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

R.I.P. Dr. Levin.

I'm extremely interested in his place in Alpha Phi Alpha and black history. It is really interesting. Was he in a graduate chapter?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to learn of the news. I would love to hear first hand the experience of life in Alpha from a non black brother.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
What a shame USC didn't mention his groundbreaking membership in Alpha Phi Alpha in their write-up, it's a fascinating bit of information about him and the organization and might have opened some doors of knowledge and interest to everyone who read it. Missed opportunity.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
What a shame USC didn't mention his groundbreaking membership in Alpha Phi Alpha in their write-up, it's a fascinating bit of information about him and the organization and might have opened some doors of knowledge and interest to everyone who read it. Missed opportunity.
There are different directions the mention of APhiA could have gone. Perhaps they thought it was safe that they stick to his nonAlpha professional accomplishments. I'm moreso hoping that they actually knew about his APhiA membership.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
My condolences to the brothers of Alpha Ph Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and to Dr. Levin's friends and family.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
R.I.P. Dr. Levin.

I'm extremely interested in his place in Alpha Phi Alpha and black history. It is really interesting. Was he in a graduate chapter?
I can check and see if he's listed in my 2006 directory when I get home. I have personally never heard of his activity after college.

Quote:
There are different directions the mention of APhiA could have gone. Perhaps they thought it was safe that they stick to his nonAlpha professional accomplishments. I'm moreso hoping that they actually knew about his APhiA membership.
I dunno.... I have my suspicions on whether they knew.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I dunno.... I have my suspicions on whether they knew.
Interesting topic.

But I don't want to hijack a R.I.P thread for a highly accomplished dentist and Alphaman.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Interesting topic.

But I don't want to hijack a R.I.P thread for a highly accomplished dentist and Alphaman.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't really mean to take it off track.

Condolences and best wishes to his family, friends, colleagues and the USC community.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
R.I.P. Dr. Levin.

I don't know if he was active with a alumni chapter either. If he were we would have found out about this sooner.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

From the Family of Brother Dr. Bernard Levin

I am the son of Dr. Bernard Levin who passed away on May 28, 2008 after a short battle with renal-cell cancer. I never knew my father was a Brother of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and I am thrilled to learn that he was ahead of his time and progressive in becoming a member of a predominately African American fraternity, especially at a time in our history where his actions would be considered controversial. He was truly breaking ground at a time when most would be ridiculed and even physically harmed in doing so.

I am extremely interested in corresponding with any of his former brothers who may have some information about my father at that time. I am currently trying to obtain a copy of the 1946 article in Ebony magazine which I understand profiles my father. If anyone knows a way to obtain that article, I would certainly appreciate your efforts.

My father was always a devoted Democrat and was well aware of the Presidential election at the time when several candidates were vying for the nomination. He would have been thrilled to learn that Barack Obama will be our next President and will hopefully make many positive changes in our country.

Thank you in advance for any information you may have and also your well wishes to my family. We were very aware of his many accomplishments as a teacher, researcher, inventor, author and international lecturer, but we never knew of his dedication and commitment to the Brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your reply and again, I extend my sincere condolences. I encourage you to contact the national office for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.. In particular, Brother Skip Mason is well versed in the history of Alpha Phi Alpha and may be able to share information with you.

Peace and Blessings,
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

There is an article about him in the Fall/Winter 08 Sphinx Magazine.