GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,485
1 members and 2,484 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-05-2003, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Grades

I just want to know my chances of being picked up with a GPA of 2.20?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-05-2003, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Is that a High School GPA or a college GPA?
Look at the websites of the sororities that are at your campus, or at your schools Panhellenic website. I know you must have a 2.3 GPA to be initiated into Alpha Sigma Tau....different inter/national sororitites have different GPA requirements. Plus, the college or even the chapter can set a higher GPA requirement if they want.

The best source of info is your school's Greek Affairs office.
Good Luck!
PsychTau
Old 06-05-2003, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to echo what PsychTau said.

For Delta Gamma, the GPA minimum is 2.5 but chapters might decide to set the requirement higher! It just depends what sorority too!

Personally, I think you should wait until you raise your GPA instead of going through Rush and getting cut due to grades. If you raise your GPA a lil, you can be selective and choose the sorority that is best for you!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Omega's minimum GPA is 2.5 and at my school our college GPA is 2.75 to get in. I know most, if not all, chapters at the UA require at least a 2.5.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
I believe Kappa's national minimum to be initiated is a 2.6. Our chapter minimum is a 2.8.

I'd try to pull your grades up first, honestly.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Chi O requires a 2.0 to be initated. I know my University doesn't check grades for rushees, since grades aren't a problem for chapters here.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:03 AM

Like everyone else has said - you should check with:

- Your campus Panhellenic Council. They may have a minimum GPA to rush, which may make you ineligible.

- The sororities at your school, on the national level. All have minimum GPAs required for initiation; AEPhi's is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, and is among the most lenient out there.

- The sororities at your school, on the chapter level. Chapters can set higher minimum GPAs than their nationals specify. Chapters can sometimes also accept grade risks, so if you have a 2.2 and the minimum is 2.25 and they really like you, they can still invite you back.

If you are eligible to rush, go for it. Most, if not all, sororities have academic programs that will help you bring your grades up. But you should be prepared to be cut heavily for grades.

If not, use the next semester or year to pull your grades up, then try again.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2003, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
here you're not allowed to rush unless you have a 2.7 wait to try and raise your GPA first. you'll probably be a lot happier that way.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Rushing as a transfer student...

I dont know if it applies...but if anyone remembered back on the first Sorority Life..one of the girls couldn't pledge because she didn't have a GPA at her school...her GPA didn't transfer over...(being concerned that I wouldn't be able to rush...) I am now here at my new school taking summer classes (i'm actually living in one of the sorority dorms--I'm on the Sigma Kappa floor hehe) so I would have a GPA here to start in the fall..I didnt really need the credits per se, but I wasn't familiar with the area too much and I wanted to get a couple classes under my belt and meet some people so the transitional blow come fall isn't rediculously insane! lol. What is the deal with transfer students and rushing? Any advice would be great! (going to be a junior technically...but I will more than likely be here for 3 years instead of 2.

Thanks for your help! 2Fast2Furious comes out today woohoo!!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:27 AM

It depends on how competitive your rush is...if there are hundreds of girls going through, you probably will get cut for grades, and you should just wait till they improve. If it is more laid back, that's a different story. We used to have lots of girls go through Meet The Greeks and the first round even if they didn't have grades, so they could get a look at the sororities. If you have a large rush fee to pay though, you might want to not do that.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

transferring

RedFox, this may differ on campuses (regarding if you can rush with a transfer GPA) I would contact the Office of Greek Affairs (or whatever office on your campus handles the Greek stuff!) to see what they have to say.

Lots of people transfer to my school, and from what I know, some of my sisters rushed and joined the Fall semester when they first transferred, so it may definately be possible!

If you have 3 years left instead of 2, definately be sure you let them know during rush! That is a great positive for you!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Rushing as a transfer student...

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFox
I dont know if it applies...but if anyone remembered back on the first Sorority Life..one of the girls couldn't pledge because she didn't have a GPA at her school...her GPA didn't transfer over...(being concerned that I wouldn't be able to rush...) I am now here at my new school taking summer classes (i'm actually living in one of the sorority dorms--I'm on the Sigma Kappa floor hehe) so I would have a GPA here to start in the fall..I didnt really need the credits per se, but I wasn't familiar with the area too much and I wanted to get a couple classes under my belt and meet some people so the transitional blow come fall isn't rediculously insane! lol. What is the deal with transfer students and rushing? Any advice would be great! (going to be a junior technically...but I will more than likely be here for 3 years instead of 2.

Thanks for your help! 2Fast2Furious comes out today woohoo!!
I think this really varies from school to school. For rushees, my chapter looks at their HS grades if they are a freshman, their grades from their last school if they transferred, and their college grades otherwise. I know other schools make transfer students have a GPA at that school, and more make ALL Students have a GPA at that school (hence deferred recruitment).

You could ask the Greek Life Advisor or one of the SKs about that - I'm sure they would know the campus specific situation.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Rushing as a transfer student...

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think this really varies from school to school. For rushees, my chapter looks at their HS grades if they are a freshman, their grades from their last school if they transferred, and their college grades otherwise.
At our school, this varies from group to group. We do it they way your chapter does GeekyPenguin - wherever their last gpa came from is what my chapter looks at. Some chapters look at all three, or a combination of the two. If there is some way for a girl to have grades, they count them! I really think panhellenic should agree on one way and stick to it! I think it is confusing to girls to get cut by one chapter for grades, while a second chapter with the same gpa requirement invites them back based on high school grades (when the transfer grades do not meet the gpa requirement). I think it sends a bad message to the pnm's.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM

In some cases, the national GPA requirement might be one thing, let's say 2.5. If the local chapter is having scholastic problems of their own, they might only want to take PNMs that have GPA's of 2.75.

Keep in mind that it often that PNMs with high GPAs may turn into NM or newly initiated sisters with low GPAs due to getting acquainted into the Greek lifestyle. That means the older members should (must ) keep their GPAs up to balance out the low GPAs of ALL the other members, new or old.

In most sororities, I'm not sure how fraternities work, you aren't told if you were cut due to specific reasons (grades or other reasons)...so you might just assume it was the grades if all other scores are terrific. My advice if it is 2.0, wait and raise it.. Based on specific circumstances, they may be able to make an exception.

unfortunately, you may be a grade risk the chapter can't afford to take. Or perhap COB might be a consideration since the pool selection is smaller.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont understand why universities would set a GPA minimum to rush while all the other sororities have a higher GPA for initiation. Well, I am not sure if the sorority GPA is for initiation or what. That is what I am confused about.

For my school, you have to have a 2.0 to rush, but why would they allow a GPA that low if every other sorority might require a higher one?? Do the sororities all allow a 2.0 that first semester if they get a bid, and then raise the bar the semester afterwards?