GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,571
1 members and 2,570 guests
Joobee

Old 07-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

"Marketing Hooks" for PNMs

adpiucf was talking about marketing hooks for PNMs in another thread...you know, special things that the PNMs do that make them stand out among the crowd. However, it seems like in recruitment, all anybody wants to know is your major or your hometown and then here comes the next member rotating in.

We need a separate thread on this! Members--any ideas? How can a girl stand out without looking weird, like the "hot dog" and "bowling" girls we heard about in the weird rushees thread?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-22-2003, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but at Clarion the PNMs used to make their own nametag to wear all through rush that had their particular interest or whatever on it, or just a little something to remember them by. For example a girl named Lucy used Lucy from Peanuts' head as her nametag. The downside of this is if you are not a crafty-type PNM...although these days it should be super easy to download images & use them.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, that's good! PNMs, just make sure that you don't do like the girl in the weird rush thread who made her nametag in 2 halves, one for each of her "personalities"!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
An awesome girl came through rush last year and I always remembered her because of this charm bracelet she wore on the first day. I saw it and asked her about it, and she told me all about where each charm came from (that's how I remembered that she liked to travel) and all.
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Appearance:
* you want to be comfortable but presentable
* try to wear at least one unique piece that isn't mass produced at the mall...sometimes girls come in looking alike, but when a rusher notices something different about a PNM (necklace, cute shirt, great shoes), you become more memorable.

Conversation:
* do not focus soley on the social aspect...beware the Bs (boys, booze, bars)
* try to develop two or three untraditional questions...unfortunately, even once in a while a PNM will get stuck carrying the conversation. If you bring up something the rusher hasn't been asking and answering all day, you become more memorable
* if possible, try to find a common bond with your rusher...exchange information about your personal interests and try to get a feel for the vibe of the girls and the GLO

Attitude:
* as always, be yourself...don't go into rush playing a character because you'll be miserable later
* give the last houses just as much of a chance as the first. As a rho chi, I saw all my girls loving the first GLO they saw because they were excited to get going and it was their first taste of rush. At the end of the day, some didn't try either because they were tired or just frustrated and wanted to be done for the night. If you can suck it up, put a smile on your face, and give those last houses a great impression, you stand a really good chance because they remember those last few girls best of all.

Last edited by LeslieAGD; 07-22-2003 at 12:59 PM.
GreekChat Member

Ask QUESTIONS (appropriate, of course). It is very impressive to meet a PNM who asks about sisterhood/social activities, leadership opportunities, scholarship programs, our philanthropy, etc.

It shows that this PNM is genuinely interested in finding out what makes each sorority unique. You might even ask about some of the pictures you see. i.e. "Where did your formal take place last year?"

It is also good when a PNM does research on each sorority at her school and later shows that she knows some about the sorority already. i.e. "Your philanthropy is _______ , isn't it?" or "Can you tell me more about your sisterhood events/retreats?"

Just as importantly: let the sister(s) actually answer you- don't ask a question and then interrupt.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZetaLuvBunny
Ask QUESTIONS (appropriate, of course). It is very impressive to meet a PNM who asks about sisterhood/social activities, leadership opportunities, scholarship programs, our philanthropy, etc.

It shows that this PNM is genuinely interested in finding out what makes each sorority unique. You might even ask about some of the pictures you see. i.e. "Where did your formal take place last year?"

It is also good when a PNM does research on each sorority at her school and later shows that she knows some about the sorority already. i.e. "Your philanthropy is _______ , isn't it?" or "Can you tell me more about your sisterhood events/retreats?"

Just as importantly: let the sister(s) actually answer you- don't ask a question and then interrupt.

Can I just share my experience with using this tactic?

IT WORKS. ZetaLuvBunny has got it right on the nose.

I went through informal recruitment when I was a junior. Though I had more than two years left 'til graduation, I was concerned that I might be looked down upon for my class standing. Plus, I admit it, I didn't know much about greek life at all. I wasn't even sure if I was "cool enough" to be in a sorority (LOL...looking back I realize how silly that was!). That's why I went to COB - to find out for myself.

Anyway, I felt that my grades, my extra curricular activities and my outgoing personality were in my favor, so I sucked it up and went to the information night. However, since I was concerned that the members might look at me funny for being an upperclassman, I really wanted to impress them. I thought "I'm not gonna let them put me on the spot! I'm going to read about each organization an arrive prepared to ask intelligent questions."

So, I did just that. I would walk up to each table, smile and make eye contact with the person who greeted me. I would then extend my hand and introduce myself in a clear voice and friendly manner. Sometimes I'd get the standard "What's your major?" and "Do you live on campus?" questions. Though, once I got an opportunity, I would bust out with one of my questions like, "Say, doesn't XYZ support such-and-such philanthropy? Can you tell me more about that?" Then, once they'd explained their philanthropy endeavours, I would make sure to say something back.

For example, instead of saying, "Oh, that's nice", I would reply, "Alzheimer's Disease? Wow, you know, my grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's Disease. It's so encouraging to know that people support families who are dealing with this condition. I could definitely see myself supporting that philanthropy."

I also paid attention! It was hard with all of the commotion and people talking all around...but it's crucial. At the table of another group, I noticed that the sorority's display featured what appeared to be the headshot of one of their (local chapter) sisters. I asked, "Is this one of your sisters? Is she an actress?" The rusher's eyes lit up as she told me about her sister and how she had been in such and such TV show. I replied by telling my rusher that I was an actress as well and had done some shows here and there, etc. My rusher was really excited and said that the actress member wasn't there that evening, but she was sure we'd get along great since we had things in common and wouldn't I just love to come along to another one of their COB events?

At each table I made it a point to:

a) ask at least one original sounding question

and/or

b) find something in common with every person I talked to.

It worked like a charm. The ladies seemed so happy to talk to me. Many of them looked really impressed with the questions I asked. At several houses I couldn't get away! They kept showing me around and introducing me to people - including a lot of chapter officers (which I suppose was a good sign?). At one house my rusher was so excited about something I said that she literally grabbed me by my wrist and started dragging me around the room to meet other members. heheh though, that kinda freaked me out. The next thing I knew, a bunch of people were jumping on me and hugging me.

Because I had said interesting things about myself, it helped them segway into introductions with other members. They'd be like, "Oh, Suzy Sororitymember, let me intoduce you to someone. This is Kelly. She was on the rowing team this year and is from San Diego just like you!"

So, by doing a little homework, PNMs can really help themselves out during recruitment, be it formal or informal. Now, mind you I didn't go around talking as if I had rehearsed my questions! No way! That would have sounded funny. I took this approach because it made me feel more confident about myself and my ability to put my best foot forward. At the end of the day, it was my confidence and showing interest which helped me get invited back to so many places.

Definitely listen to what these ladies on GC have to say, they know what they're talking about!

.....Kelly

Last edited by navane; 07-22-2003 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
Quote:
Originally posted by navane

It worked like a charm. Most of the ladies seemed so happy to talk to me. Many of them looked really impressed with the questions I asked.
Kelly this is so true. We had this young woman go through Formal Recruitment last fall and she had done her homework! She knew so much about our sorority it was very impressive. ( she was a hit! Every sister fell in love with her. and might I add she is an awesome sister!!)

There is a funny side to this story too. she had done so much homwork that she found our Alumnae's Chapter Website! Well we had posted what our Theme for recruitment was and what to wear to each party (so all the alum. could be informed) well...on bid day she mention how on one night she wanted to come dressed up to match our outfits! (It was a western theme: Wild Wild Phi Sigs) It was cute. ( this year we emailed our alum about rush. )
Old 07-22-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone has something unique and special to offer a sorority-- most of the PNM's coming in have impressive GPAs and well-rounded campus activities, so what is it about you that stands out? Were you a valedictorian who was also a varsity soccer team player? Did you dance at competitions in exotic lands? Did you get to participate in issues relative to changing state law? Did you found a campus organization? Were you a leader of some kind in school? Make sure to stress that point somehow!

Also, listening is key-- like everyone was saying, you don't want to ask a question and interrupt b/c you already know the answer.

It's a good idea to "practice" conversation when you go out with your friends (you know how it is, you end up talking to random people no matter what-- imagine leaving them with a really positive look at you-- that you are an attentive listener, accomplished and interested in what they have to say.)
Old 07-22-2003, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Canadian AOII
Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
Appearance:
* you want to be comfortable but presentable
* try to wear at least one unique piece that isn't mass produced at the mall...sometimes girls come in looking alike, but when a rusher notices something different about a PNM (necklace, cute shirt, great shoes), you become more memorable.

Conversation:
* do not focus soley on the social aspect...beware the Bs (boys, booze, bars)
* try to develop two or three untraditional questions...unfortunately, even once in a while a PNM will get stuck carrying the conversation. If you bring up something the rusher hasn't been asking and answering all day, you become more memorable
* if possible, try to find a common bond with your rusher...exchange information about your personal interests and try to get a feel for the vibe of the girls and the GLO

Attitude:
* as always, be yourself...don't go into rush playing a character because you'll be miserable later
* give the last houses just as much of a chance as the first. As a rho chi, I saw all my girls loving the first GLO they saw because they were excited to get going and it was their first taste of rush. At the end of the day, some didn't try either because they were tired or just frustrated and wanted to be done for the night. If you can suck it up, put a smile on your face, and give those last houses a great impression, you stand a really good chance because they remember those last few girls best of all.
I TOTALLY have to second that pt abt giving the last houses as much a chance as the first...somehow during rush I ALWAYS got AOII last, was tired and didn't feel like going through yet another house, but then again look where I ended up!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
Being myself and being unique is what helped get me where I am today. There are the standard questions that we all know (stuff like "what is your major")and , and I answered that question...one thing that really seemed to help was that if I was asked a question like that I'd answer it and I'd be sure to ask the rusher about herself. Like if she asked me if I was living in the dorms, I'd answer the question but then I'd turn it right back and ask her if she lived in the house and if she enjoyed it. That would catapult a new conversation about what it was like living in the house and stuff, and it worked in my favor because we were actually engaging in conversation that was informative about the sorority which looked good in the rusher's eyes because I was genuinely interested in learning more. I'll agree with everyone else; before rush, memorize at least one interesting thing about each sorority and be sure to mention it when you go into that house. It's always nice to meet someone who has done a little research first. We want smart girls in our houses and if you can do something like that to prove yourself clever, it helps a lot. But just be yourself! I was, and it was amazing the stuff me and some of my now-sisters bonded over during rush. I was asking about what the girls did just for the hell of it, and one of them mentioned going to Classic 50's (which is a local drive in place like Sonic) to eat as a big group and another mentioned the grilled cheese sandwiches form there which is what i order everytime i go, and we completely bonded over our mutual love for the grill cheese sandwiches. It was little stupid stuff like that that made me know exactly where home was, and it's just sooo cool if you get to that point where you and a potential sister during rush have that "ohmygod that's so awesome!" bonding moment. But it takes being yourself.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Everything on this thread is such great advice, i only really have one piece of advice to add to it: make sure that you give equal face time to each sister that you meet! sometimes you'll meet a sister at one house and absolutely fall in love with her, want her to be your big sister, etc. so it's really hard when you have to go to the other side of the room and talk with other sisters that you might not have as much in common with...frequently, PNMs will get sucked into conversation with sisters and later other sisters might question why she wasn't more social with more people...it's a given that you're supposed to be polite, excited and talkative with all the sisters that you meet, but you don't know how many times i feel guilty about breaking into a deep conversation that a sister's having with a PNM, but you really have to make a good impression on EVERYONE in the house that you meet
Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

There have been a number of stories here about women doing odd things during rush. There is always the line between being psychotic and interested. Also, make sure you know about ALL the houses, not just the one you have an initial crush on. You may find your home in the one you least expected.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
You would think all the girls going through recruitment would try to look happy and excited during rounds. I was always so involved in my conversation, that I didn't really notice the girls around me until Philanthropy day. I noticed in EVERY round I went to that many of the girls just had these torturous looks on their faces. I am sure it was just out of nervousness - but I couldn't believe they weren't trying to give a smile.

I mean heck, it made it easier for me. On Philanthropy day when we had to sit at the same table, I was being very happy and energetic which made it where I kind of stole the conversation. It was 4 of the sisters and then 3 other PNM with me at the table. I am normally a shy person, but this wasn't the time or place - so since I was the only talkative one it just made them focus on me more and talk to me. Obviosuly they enjoyed it because I did very well during recruitment.

I even remember on the first day (meet the greeks), I went into the Phi Mu round and started talking to this girl named Jenn. I was just trying to be bubbly and happy and she was like "Wow! I am so glad I got you. The other girls who I have been talking to today have been kind of hard to talk to - I'm so glad that you are very talkative!"

On the third day (skit), I was looking around each round at the girls expressions. Very few were actually smiling and getting into the skit, the others were just so concerned about all the "rush" stuff they looked emotionless.

I think the nerves were getting the best of a lot of girls, and actually nerves make me a little more uhm...over excited (which worked to my advantage in this case). Just remember the best marketing tool is a smile and some sort of body language to let them know you are having a good time. It sounds like a given, but you wouldn't believe how many girls just don't show any emotion....even in sororities they liked! It doesn't matter how good that $2000 outfit looks on you, if you don't look happy and excited to be there, they will take that as you don't like them (even though you really do).
Old 07-24-2003, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine people NOT smiling in this situation. Aren't we all taught to smile and be polite and interested when we meet people? Is it really such a hardship to be excited about something that you have prepared a while for and have looked forward to?