GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,421
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LeahArguet
» Online Users: 2,789
1 members and 2,788 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Um. Wow. This definitely falls into the category of

"Posts which should only be read *after* getting into Radiation Suits"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I wasn't ready, either!

GC is finally getting back to what it used to be. At least a little.
If it wasn't on the web, I wouldn't know. I mean honestly, that isn't the purpose of Phi Alpha Delta. I told a friend who is a member at a Law School Chapter, and their facial expression was . I used google and found the information out, why couldn't the OP?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Open Membership Policy

Phi Alpha Delta is proud to be a professional fraternity that embraces inclusion, not exclusion. We were the first of the law fraternity's to welcome members of all religions, races, genders and, in 1980, pre-law members into our midst. Our Open Membership Policy precludes chapters from requiring an interested student to do anything to join other than:

1) Complete the official membership application;
2) Submit their International Initiation Fee;
3) Submit any local chapter dues that have been duly adopted and incorporated into your local by-laws; and
4) Take the oath of membership.

The bonds of Fraternalism in P.A.D. are created as we pursue our common interest in the law, regardless of whether you are a Pre-Law, Law or Law Alumni member. There is nothing to be gained by requiring interested students to memorize greek letters, the Fraternity's history or the like and only your chapter charter to be lost.

Please go to www.pad.org and take the Open Membership Policy Course at our online learning center - P.A.D. University. I think you will find it enlightening and very helpful (along with the other courses available on our Alcohol Policy, our Anti-Hazing Policy, and our Financial Policy).

As an officer of the chapter you will be receiving an email from the Executive Office in the next week or so with your first course assignments at P.A.D. University. Please make sure that you and the other officers have your most current email addresses on file with the Executive Office so that we can ensure you get the email. Chapter's whose officers fail to take, and pass, our required P.A.D. University courses risk the suspension or revocation of their chapter charters, so it is important to take these. That being said, the courses are very short (10 minutes or so each) and the quizes after them are less than 10 questions. In the history of P.A.D. University less than 10 out of 1000 tests have failed.

I'd also like you to contact the Executive Office to discuss any questiosn you may have. We are happyt to set up a conference call with the officers to answer your questions. You should also plan on attending the Leadership Symposia nearest you, as well as the Pre-Law Conference. You can find more information on both at the website.

Fraternally,

Byron K. Rupp
Director of Pre-Law Operations
Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

You can try a jeporady game to educate the members about the chapter information.

For big/little you can have the bigs leave a gift and clues about who they are for their littles for a few days then think of some sort of ceremony to reveal the bigs to the littles.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Duct tape 'em to light poles and make 'em say they're pledges of another co-ed fraternity.

Play "Duck Hunt" with 'em.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin08 View Post
For big/little you can have the bigs leave a gift and clues about who they are for their littles for a few days then think of some sort of ceremony to reveal the bigs to the littles.
Echoing what 33girl said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm not sure how men do big/little in fraternities, but again, stay away from anything that is too sorority like (string, squealing, etc) or it will alienate men who want to join.
I know I'm something of an old timer, but gifts and games about who your big brother is squeels sorority to me.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so maybe I can help you out....

I'm the New Member educator of a co-ed profession chemistry fraternity, as well as a member of a social sorority.

For Big/Little revealing: We have the bigs deliver "bids" to their littles the day after our final rush event. We get their dorm numbers, or apartment numbers and tell them to be there and available from Xtime-Xtime. Somewhere in there they get a knock on their door and surprise! It's their big I know I had so much fun both finding out my bigs, and revealing to my little bro.

As far as games to learn to material, we do worksheets weekly, but towards the end (we give them an exam at the end of their pledge period) we play games like trivial pursuit, and this one game... not really sure what to call it but everyone loves it! You split into teams, and ask a question. The first team to run to the whiteboard and answer correctly gets a point.

Hope some of these ideas help!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Is this Alpha Phi Omega? If so, and even if not so, it would be best if you not call yourself "pledge mom." That reeks of sorority and will alienate men who want to pledge. Pledge trainer or pledge educator or pledgemaster are fine.

If this is a service fraternity, pledges should have to complete a certain number of service hours.

I'm not sure how men do big/little in fraternities, but again, stay away from anything that is too sorority like (string, squealing, etc) or it will alienate men who want to join.
I know many people in sororities think that a co-ed Fraternity shouldn't be calling their "pledge trainer" a "pledge mom" because it might scare away the males, I have to beg to differ. Speaking from experience, I was in a co-ed Fraternity and we had a pledge mom. It was usually women who filled the position, anyway, but if men did, they were pledge dads. The guys in my pledge class did not mind whatsoever, they in fact LOVED their "MILF".

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, in addition, for our Big/Little Reveal we just held it in a large lecture room on campus. All of the Brothers sat in the upper rows, with the new pledges in the first few rows. The pledge mom went in the front of the room and made up a cute and short poem about each big(s), and in alphabetical order, called each pledge to the front. They stood in the front of the room while the Pledge Mom read the poem about their big (ie. "Your big loves football and hopes you do too, when you're with her you won't feel blue. Your big is ___ _____" - That of course is really bad, rough example). Then, they would play a song that their Big picked out (some even had family songs which were tradition) and they big would come down, give them their gifts (mainly ridiculous outfits to wear, so it was fun to put them on your little in front of all the Brothers/pledges), take pictures with just the Big/Little and then the whole family. It was very exciting as a pledge!

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."

Last edited by court4short; 07-16-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by court4short View Post
I know many people in sororities think that a co-ed Fraternity shouldn't be calling their "pledge trainer" a "pledge mom" because it might scare away the males, I have to beg to differ. Speaking from experience, I was in a co-ed Fraternity and we had a pledge mom.
33girl was also in a co-ed fraternity as well as a sorority, so I'm guessing she speaks from experience too. Speaking from my experience (as a guy), I'd pretty much agree with what she said.

Quote:
The guys in my pledge class did not mind whatsoever, they in fact LOVED their "MILF".
'Cause that's the dynamic you're going for.

FWIW, we (in my non-co-ed fraternity) had a very simple way of telling probationary members who their big brothers were -- your big brother pinned your probationary member pin on you at the pledging ceremony. I liked that way of doing it.

Last edited by MysticCat; 07-16-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
33girl was also in a co-ed fraternity as well as a sorority, so I'm guessing she speaks from experience too. Speaking from my experience (as a guy), I'd pretty much agree with what she said.

'Cause that's the dynamic you're going for.

FWIW, we (in my non-co-ed fraternity) had a very simple way of telling probationary members who their big brothers were -- your big brother pinned your probationary member pin on you at the pledging ceremony. I liked that way of doing it.

I hadn't realized 33girl was also in a co-ed fraternity, my apologies to her. I wasn't trying to be condescending or mean or anything, just making a suggestion from my own personal experience. And the MILF thing was a joke, just trying to show that it didn't really scare the guys off....

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hadn't realized 33girl was also in a co-ed fraternity, my apologies to her. I wasn't trying to be condescending or mean or anything, just making a suggestion from my own personal experience. And the MILF thing was a joke, just trying to show that it didn't really scare the guys off....
Gotcha.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Our APO chapter had enough problems with "incest" without calling anyone a MILF. Bwah.

At any rate, padprelaw (who is a poobah in the OP's org) has put the kibosh on any squealing or big/littling, so I don't know why there were any posts after his.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure I really understand what "squealing" is, then?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I really understand what "squealing" is, then?
OMG THAT IS THE CUTEST SWEATSHIRT OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PUFFY PAINTED CUP U R 2 AWESOME OMG I LOVE MY BIG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

lol. I was wondering as well, but that explains it.