GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,089
1 members and 2,088 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation OPENING FRATERNITY IN MY COUNTRY!!!

Hey guys,

I have a problem. In my country (Serbia) we don't have a fraternity or sorority of any type, so I'm not into how this works. I barely found this forum, so I hope u could help me.

If u can help me, to tell me how to open it, grow greek community, establish rules, pledge and all things I have to know. Please, I really need help!!!

For start, I know SOME things, but not all of them...

If u want to help me, contact me on private or send me e-mail
rajko.rale@gmail.com

Thanx in advance!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, yea!

If u have some questions about what I need, please, be free to write me here...

Thanx!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Sooo, for starters, I was thinking about a name.... Hmmm, it was kinda hard, but I think that the name of fraternity must represent something, mean something, doesn't it?

And, there it was... SIGMA RHO!!! What do u think?

Look at the first letters: S and R, and that's from the name of our country... SeRbia...

Is it ok? At last, it would be the first one here... :-)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

That's generally not how greek letter organizations get their names.

Using Greek letters is an American tradition which has been copied elsewhere. You might want to delve into the history of North American GLOs before selecting a name.

I think you can do a lot better than what you just came up with. Something which actually means something.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-16-2009, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgreeco View Post
Hey guys,

I have a problem. In my country (Serbia) we don't have a fraternity or sorority of any type, so I'm not into how this works. I barely found this forum, so I hope u could help me.

If u can help me, to tell me how to open it, grow greek community, establish rules, pledge and all things I have to know. Please, I really need help!!!

For start, I know SOME things, but not all of them...

If u want to help me, contact me on private or send me e-mail
rajko.rale@gmail.com

Thanx in advance!!!
And you need to research greek life and greek letter organizations thoroughly before deciding on anything. One thing we absolutely can't stand is when new organizations copy already established organizations' names and identities, no matter what country you're in. There is already a Sigma Rho fraternity (even though it is a local). I found their website just by googling...no effort at all. See at http://www.sigmarho.org/.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so, i thought more about that... maybe we, in this case - me, should try new name-giving system, like letters from our old alphabet called Glagolitic... so it would look something like this...
witch means 'good people' OR as 'good word', but this has very positive and powerfull meaning here......

so, i want ur comments about this, please!!! what do u think?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
And you need to research greek life and greek letter organizations thoroughly before deciding on anything. One thing we absolutely can't stand is when new organizations copy already established organizations' names and identities, no matter what country you're in. There is already a Sigma Rho fraternity (even though it is a local). I found their website just by googling...no effort at all. See at http://www.sigmarho.org/.
thanx...
yes, i know about copying names, that is wrong... but i checked some other...
like... sigma eta rho.... and only one i found was 'eta rho sigma'....
Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Much better. Go with something which comes as much from your own culture and national identity. Choose either symbols which have Serbian meaning, maybe rooted in tradition or history or legend, or choose things from your local community, university, etc.

You can be a Serbian version of an old North American tradition and still be Serb.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Xexe, thanx for advices!!! But I need to learn more... I'm not opssesed with thing 'I-must-be-Serb-OVER!', but, I just like the social type that rules in Greek house... It's a friendship-partying-positive-mad community, :-)))).... I fancy it because of that!!!

Thanx again! Guys, I would like to see more comments and sugestions about opening the Greek ("Slavic") house!!! Thanx and see ya!!! :-D
Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Using Greek letters is an American tradition which has been copied elsewhere.

True it is an American Tradition but not one we started, so is it really ours? Just food for thought
Old 06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you are asking on a public board, and what you see the College Greek system as is probably through entertainment and other media, let me start by letting you know that part of the mystique of Greek Fraternities and Sororities are the secrets and rituals that only members share. These shared "secrets" are what holds members together through time and place.

That being said, here is a list of some things that may be "secret" or "ritual":

- the meaning of your organization's name (so asking a group of strangers what a good name would be is like asking strangers what to call your child - no one knows but you and whomever else is close to the cause)

- your organization's purpose. Many groups have PUBLIC and PRIVATE purposes.

- the way you enter a room - a particular knock or greeting

- creeds (similar to a prayer) - something like "As members of AB Fraternity, our purpose is to -----------. We believe in (insert the virtues you embody, your organization's goals, etc.)"

- Mottos - a phrase or sentence that connects members. Many groups have PUBLIC and PRIVATE mottos.

- how you recruit, if you vote on new members, etc.

- ceremonies a.k.a. rituals. Ritual is "simply" something you do on a regular basis (each meeting, once a year, etc.). The purpose of any ritual may be to commemorate or celebrate something, like the introduction of new members, anniversary of your founding date, how you start or your meetings (do you say your creed together? shake hands? bow? how do you ask for agreement? raise hands? snap fingers?) etc.

- methods of inducting new members - for example, do you have a ceremony in which you give a new member a pin? Some groups may give new members flowers, recite a creed or poem, sing a song. You might incorporate items that are special to your group or purpose - like reading from a bible or document, planting a tree, lighting a candle, or even dancing.

---final thoughts---

The most important thing is to figure out what your group will stand for - literally (social? service? patriotism?). What are the ideals of your group? Then figure out what your ideal member embodies - are they kind? friendly? hard working? Then seek out these people. These are the people who will hopefully bond through their shared experiences.

All of this type information should be put on paper and made accessible for all members to read, and over time perhaps, for new members to learn.

Lastly, a fraternity or sorority is about the PEOPLE. Regardless of who or how you find new members, your group will not exist without people who share your ideals. Even after college, many members remain close friends with others who shared their time and experiences. Many people meet new friends later in life who were members of the same group. They are all connected through what they experienced as a member of the collegiate fraternity or sorority.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

i agree... you should do a lot of research... and i mean a lot!! though ree-xi's post is helpful, there's still a lot to it... i think having your friends found a fraternity with you would be very helpful..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
- ceremonies a.k.a. rituals. Ritual is "simply" something you do on a regular basis (each meeting, once a year, etc.). The purpose of any ritual may be to commemorate or celebrate something, like the introduction of new members, anniversary of your founding date, how you start or your meetings (do you say your creed together? shake hands? bow? how do you ask for agreement? raise hands? snap fingers?) etc.

- methods of inducting new members - for example, do you have a ceremony in which you give a new member a pin? Some groups may give new members flowers, recite a creed or poem, sing a song. You might incorporate items that are special to your group or purpose - like reading from a bible or document, planting a tree, lighting a candle, or even dancing.
Good points, but to clarify: In most fraternal organizations of which I'm aware, ritual is typically not "simply" something done on a regular basis. Ritual is primarily an esoteric (that is, "hidden" or "secret") initiation ceremony, where new members learn what the various secrets and symbols of the group are/signify and see the "teachings" (values, ethical principles) of the fraternity placed in a context that gives meaning and coherence, and in which the take solemn oaths of loyalty to the organization and those teachings. Such rituals often utilize myth or legend to provide that context. And in many fraternities and sororities, the specific secrets (such as the meaning of the letters) are never written down; they are passed along orally.

All other ceremonies -- opening and closing of meeting rituals or founders day ceremonies, for example -- typically grow out of or are related to the primary initiation ritual and serve to underscore what is taught in the initiation ritual or renew the bonds created in the initiation ritual.

Here is an excellent resource into understanding Ritual from a sorority perspective; it might help the OP see how rituals function in fraternities and sororities generally: Sorority Rituals: Rites of Passage and their Impact on Contemporary Sorority Women; a Dissertation by Mari Ann Callais

Last edited by MysticCat; 06-23-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Clarity, and I finally thought of the word I couldn't think of last night.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Please also remember that there are many types of fraternal organizations beyond "Greek Life" that deserve your attention as well. There may already be organizations in Serbia that are fraternal in nature where you can get ideas closer to your own culture rather than copying an organization that does not have cultural ties to your own.

There are several Serbian Fraternal organizations all over the US that you can research in order to understand what Fraternity can mean to you, as well as many American fraternal and professional organizations that may offer some insight.

Last, a "house" can be many things. It can be a fraternity house where members live and congregate but it can also be a "club" (for example, a VFW club or Elks club, two fraternal organizations in the US that are not greek) where members congregate and hold functions, but no member lives there. Pretty much it could be anywhere where members meet, including outdoor spaces.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Good points, but to clarify: In most fraternal organizations of which I'm aware, ritual is typically not "simply" something done on a regular basis.
I had written another sentence but erased it. I meant that the word ritual in its simplest implications is something that is done on a regular basis, for example, someone's "morning ritual" of waking up, eating breakfast, brushing your teeth, showering. A Greek org ritual could be someone that you do regularly to say, start a meeting, induct new members, a handshake, etc.

I was trying to explain what a ritual is in the broader sense, then applied it to what the term refers to in Greek/fraternal/other organizations, because I am assuming the OP is not a native English speaker and/or the term "ritual" may or may not translate culturally.

Forgive the misunderstanding. My post was meant to try to put things in general terms that someone outside the US collegiate Greek system could understand. I know that there is so much more to the process, and many, many better posts about the topic.