GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,540
2 members and 1,538 guests
oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question House Manager, any ideas?

Hello All! I have just become House Manager for my sorority and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for making my office fun or getting girls to do house duties/clean up or just wants to let me know what other sorority House Managers do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Try contacting the other House Managers on your campus. Sometimes, they have an email listserv or meet up occasionally to discuss ideas, etc. This group may also be a great resource:

http://www.mgca.org/programs/housedirector/
Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If cleaning is an issue, find out the going rate of a cleaner and see if the women would want to spend the extra money, or conversely show them how much money you're saving that can go towards lower dues or fun things.

If you're also involved in food (some house managers are) try and get input from women about the menu or theme nights so they feel as if they have a stake in what's going on. Maybe a "rant, rave, crave" board where they can share what they don't like (rant) what they do like (rave) and what they'd like (crave).

Lastly try and "green" your house up a bit (with help from your house corporation and maybe the local utility companies) by working on using less electricity, less water, and recycling to cut down on trash. My campus has a Sustainability Center that could be utilized, maybe yours does too. If you can sell aluminum cans back perhaps they can be collected and the money given to philanthropy or the house fun, and if you have a computer lab with a printer encourage women to print double sided and have paper recycling.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the Rant, rave, crave idea. I'm passing that on to our House Manager.

One more thing. The house manager needs to work closely with the House Director. It is a team deal. No House Director, then the House Corporation Board are your new bff. Just got off the phone with my HM finalizing move-in and making sure all our ducks are in a row. Welcome to psychology 101. You will learn so much about human nature in your year as House Manager. Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

The House Manager at the chapter where I volunteer makes a monthly calendar for cleaning duties and posts it, along with the cleaning duty lists, in plain sight. She and the chapter president are on the cleaning calendar right along with the other girls- in fact, a little more often than the other girls- so they're not exempt from dishes and trash!