GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,437
1 members and 2,436 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2001, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Post FYI-Nails

I just wanted to let people know. My friend told me about this nail product that makes your nails grow. I've been the type of person to go to the nail shop every 2 weeks and get my nails done. Anyways, my friend has been bragging about this product, it's called Nailtiques. It's nothing but nail protein. Let me tell you this stuff works. About 5 months ago I took off the acrlyic nails and began to use it. You know when you take off the fake nails and you have the file groove marks in you nail. Well that took about two months to grow out. I've done that before and it took six months to grow out. Right now, my nails are beautiful and it only took 3 months for them to grow to a nice length. This product really works. My nails are very strong and healthy. They look so good, they need to be in a Sally Hansen commercial or Nailtiques if they had one. I would recommend this product to anyone who is into their nails as I am. It's a bit expensive though-$17.50 per bottle, but then again, you'll end up paying that amount for a refill. The product is sold at CVS and at a beauty shop called Trade Secret, these are the only places that I know of, but it works.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2001, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting this!! I just took my gel (so much better than acrylic, in my opinion) off of my nails, and are letting them grow out. I just bought something the other day for my nails, Orly Calcium Builder. If it doesn't work I'm gonna have to try this $18 product.
Old 01-16-2001, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08:
Thanks for posting this!! I just took my gel (so much better than acrylic, in my opinion) off of my nails, and are letting them grow out. I just bought something the other day for my nails, Orly Calcium Builder. If it doesn't work I'm gonna have to try this $18 product.
I am growing my nails out right now with a sculptured acrylic set. My nails have never grown this much in a long time because I am a chronic nail biter as well as weak nails. I will keep this product in mind when I soak the acrylic off in a few more months. However every 2 weeks my wonderful nail tech applies a protein builder to keep my nails strong. I will tell her about this product.

HI MONIQUE!! (GUESS WHO!!)

Old 01-16-2001, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Another good one to try is Revivanail.

Just as an FYI for those using Nailtiques after removing acrylics/gels, you may notice a slight burning sensation. This is partially because your own nails are thin and weak and partially because of the formaldehyde in Nailtiques. There are tons of excellent nail strengtheners on the market, but unfortunately not all of them are available for non-professional purchase. If you're making the transition from acrylics/gels to your own nails, don't hesitate to ask your tech what natural nail treatments are available. S/He should know of at least 2 or 3.
Old 01-16-2001, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

I can attest to all of the already mentioned products. Nailtiques is expensive but yes it does work, I also used Orly Calcium Builder, I did not see much growth but my nails got stronger, and then there is the reliable Sally Hansen maximum growth products (there are 2 of them, 1 for the first week or so and then the one that maintains the strong nail). I stopped using Nailtiques because it was too expensive I used to get a store discount at Genovese (this was way back when I worked there) but after leaving the 18 bucks for the product was a bit much .... but then again I find Sally Hansen's product to be a bit expensive, 5 bucks for some nail polish is a bit much for me.
Anyway, I have been using Sally Hansen since, it works as well as Nailtiques did for me. A big point I wanted to make was that, I think my nails started to go and will continue to grow no matter what product I use simply because I am taking care of them. With Nailtiques as well as with other polishes such as Sally Hansen they say to use it for one week, clean and manicure your nails and then repolish .... if you think about it, your nails are really growing because you are caring for them and paying attention to them, so don't feel pressured to purchase polish for 20 bucks or pay the local manicurist 15 bucks - unless you are trying to treat yourself, you can do the same thing with better results at home. The same thing goes for your hair, but I refuse to do my own hair, so to each his/her own LOL
Old 01-16-2001, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Lady AKA's post gave me a question to ask, what do you mean exactly by "clean and manicure" your nails?

I am also growing out my real nails after taking off acrylics. I am so sick of waiting for them to grow I am about to go get fake nails again!! My nails look awful right now!

I really dislike fake nails, so how should I care for them? I am willing to put in the time, but not the money.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2001, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4:
HI MONIQUE!! (GUESS WHO!!)
Girl, you know I know who you are!! I haven't seen you around the forums in a minute, I even asked one of your sorors where you were a while back, before I knew about the grad school blues!

Where do you get your nails done here?

Skeeeee-Oop!

Old 01-17-2001, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

When I say clean and manicure I mean, on a weekly basis you need to take off all polish, soak your hands and nails, file them (softly in one direction), buff them, (file and buff as needed), then push back cuticles and cut off hang nails and then lotion hands. Once more clean your nails with nail remover and lastly polish ... i decided not to do fake nails anymore not even acrylic over my reals nails, it still makes them weak, you can use a tea bag and special glue to get the acrylic look/feel. Anyway, I took these steps from my manicurist, just by watching her do it a million times I figured I could finally do it myself and it works. the materials you need to accomplish this may cost about 30 bucks the first time around
(ie good file, trimmer, buffer etc) but in the long run it will be less then 5 bucks a month for cotton and nail polish remover ... IT REALLY WORKS!!
Old 01-18-2001, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks. I caved in. I got fake nails today. I really missed having nails! I've received endless compliments, from guys and girls, so I don't regret it at all. I'll probably get tired of paying for them again! Maybe then I'll stop being thickheaded and take your advice. thanks again!