GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,487
0 members and 2,487 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think an important thing to remember is that a chapter’s personality will constantly change over time. It's entirely possible that you could end up in your number one choice, feel like you are meant to be there, totally click with all your sisters for a year or two, and all of a sudden your chapter can start to change all around you. People graduate every year, and are replaced by a new class... just like in any relationship you need to be able to adapt to changes as they come.

So I do agree that the perfect fit idea is baloney, it's like a little white lie we can tell PNMs to ease their minds during the rush process. I don't think it's a bad lie to tell, because in many cases it stops girls from dropping out early on. But I do think it's important for people to realize you don't just slide into place like a puzzle piece. It takes constant work, no matter how long you've been a member of your house.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow190 View Post
I'm going to agree with many of y'all on here, but since I'm still a rushee, with a twist. I was certain that there was a certain school that was my first choice. I visited campus, loved it, they had great programs and a stellar reputation. I was sold. Then I got wait listed, and never made it in. SO I went elsewhere. And you know what? I am so glad I didnt get into my first choice, because I would have gone, and I am so happy at the school I attend now (I am not a rising freshman, fyi). One of my friends goes to my first choice (their second I might add) and lves it, but from what I now know, I wouldnt have been as happy there as I am here now. So I believe that like college acceptance and sorority recruitment, life has a funny way of giving hints to what's a good fit and what isnt. Now, I havent been through recruitment yet , I know that whichever house I wind up in (if at all) will be a choice carefully thought about by many and will be a solid one.

The funniest thing, I never planned on going the sorority route. In fact I avoided applying to schools heavy into the greek scene. Who would have thought?

Sorry to go on and on, I just wanted to show that heartbreak and confusion can lead to comfort and happiness that you were spared making the decision you thought was right when it wasnt.

Good luck to everyone rushin'!!!!
I definately agree and to anyone who read my thread, this is a big part of why I gave my sorority a shot. I think the main difference though is that at your current school, you're not constantly seeing IvyU sweatshirts all around, whereas you might see XYZ sweatshirts all around, and it's more in your face and harder to forget.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggirl617 View Post
I definately agree and to anyone who read my thread, this is a big part of why I gave my sorority a shot. I think the main difference though is that at your current school, you're not constantly seeing IvyU sweatshirts all around, whereas you might see XYZ sweatshirts all around, and it's more in your face and harder to forget.

Not to sound harsh, but you really need to move on, for your own peace of mind. For lack of a better phrase, you are really looking a gift horse in the mouth. How many girls would have loved to be a member of your sorority and did not receive a bid? You can still be friends with the girls from the other group. These girls CHOSE YOU and you accepted their invitation. It's been a month.

It's funny that you bumped this thread when it gave the same advice that has been given over and over in your recruitment thread.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggirl617 View Post
ree-Xi doesn't want to be harsh with you but I will be. Shut up already! Enough with your "poor me" drivel. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of girls who didn't get a bid at all this year.

You can feel what you're going to feel but you don't have to indulge it. You're going to be miserable in your life if all you do is pine away for this or that. Meanwhile, move over because there are people who actually have REAL problems in this world.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

lol i haven't been upset over it for a long time. neither of you were harsh, you just thought i was complaining when i was simply offering my interpretation of her analogy. i didn't say anything in this thread that suggested i wanted sympathy. i really don't see what's incorrect about what i said about the sweatshirt example though
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

With the way rush is set up, it's impossible for anyone to get into "the right one" or to even know if they did. It's not about "where you are supposed to be" so much as "what you make of what you have." I firmly believe that. It's a little luck, a little chance, and a lot of positive attitude.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Are there any websites/books/other publications that are periodically revised to reflect the competitiveness of recruitment at the various campuses across the country?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
Are there any websites/books/other publications that are periodically revised to reflect the competitiveness of recruitment at the various campuses across the country?
What?

(p.s. Can someone please find that Family Guy clip of Lois laughing and saying "What?" I think it's after Peter tells her about his prostate exam.)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What?

(p.s. Can someone please find that Family Guy clip of Lois laughing and saying "What?" I think it's after Peter tells her about his prostate exam.)
Sorry, this is the closest to the hilarity that I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfjr...eature=related

Family Guy is the funniest show on TV. Prostate down.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m thinking of a book or database or something that uses the statistics of Formal Recruitment to assess at which schools recruitment is competitive.

It would present the # of girls per university who were offered a bid, and perhaps put the school in a category as a result of that. (“At the X University fall formal recruitment, 90% of rushees were offered a bid, so X University is rated ‘less competitive’ in terms of rush.”)

The book could be updated every year or so to reflect last year’s recruitment – the newest one. Girls who are doing college searches could use this information in picking a school if Greek life is really important to them.

Finally, a book like this could track recruitment result at schools (“X University has had a reputation as a less competitive school, but recruitment has been getting increasingly more competitive. In the last five years, 50% of rushees were offered a bid.”).

That way, a girl who is worried about her social skills, and for whom Greek life is a #1 priority, could choose her university partially based on the competitiveness level of recruitment at the school.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I’m thinking of a book or database or something that uses the statistics of Formal Recruitment to assess at which schools recruitment is competitive.

It would present the # of girls per university who were offered a bid, and perhaps put the school in a category as a result of that. (“At the X University fall formal recruitment, 90% of rushees were offered a bid, so X University is rated ‘less competitive’ in terms of rush.”)

The book could be updated every year or so to reflect last year’s recruitment – the newest one. Girls who are doing college searches could use this information in picking a school if Greek life is really important to them.

Finally, a book like this could track recruitment result at schools (“X University has had a reputation as a less competitive school, but recruitment has been getting increasingly more competitive. In the last five years, 50% of rushees were offered a bid.”).

That way, a girl who is worried about her social skills, and for whom Greek life is a #1 priority, could choose her university partially based on the competitiveness level of recruitment at the school.

There are no such statistics. The only way you really know how competitive a school is to know girls who have gone through rush there.

We have alot of threads about the competitiveness of different schools here, but no stats.

Also, competitiveness is subjective. One person may find a school competitive, while someone else may not. Number of girls who get bids doesn't always measure competitiveness.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-03-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sorry, but ugh

(1) You are just opening the doors for girls to start out at a school with a super-easy recruitment, and then transfer to the uber-competitive as a member of the top chapter. Gross.

(2) Women should pick their colleges on, oh-I-don't-know, academics. Yes, there are other things that are important, such as class sizes, faculty backgrounds, environment, location, etc. But most of those factor in to getting a degree. As much as I love, love, love my sorority, I would never have chosen Wisconsin simply because this chapter is here.

(3) Generally, it seems that the more competitive the recruitment, the stronger the greek life. So, maybe a girl would pick to go to a more competitive school rather than an easier. And it's not hard to figure out those schools already.

(4) Those stats have no way to compensate for women who drop out because they get "lower-tier" chapters.

P.S. PLEASE tell me you aren't considering schools based on the ease of recruitment. Because guess what--you can still get dropped from recruitment at a quote-on-quote easy school. Then, you're stuck at a school you picked on the basis of recruitment stats. At least if you get dropped from recruitment at a school you picked because it fits you, you have other things to be happy with.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!

Last edited by AOEforme; 02-03-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

A. Lay off the font.

B. Percentage of PNMs that are extended a bid does not necessarily reflect a competitive recruitment.

C. Go do your own freaking research!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

They can't manage to update Baird's which is actually something useful to the entire Greek community. I can't imagine why someone would make a book like this.

And guess what, just because it's a "less competitive" school doesn't mean everyone gets in. Not to mention, if girls do actually do what you're suggesting, doesn't mean it will be the "Greek life" that they pictured or that they want.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

everything happens for a reason.