GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,457
1 members and 1,456 guests
naraht

Old 08-02-2001, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Post p words

Ya, that's right. P words. It started when I was a freshman in high school. I began to be very conscious of these words. I tended to notice when someone would say them or when I would write them. This brings us to why I chose this subject. Four years later, I cannot stand words that begin with this letter. Ecspecially, when spoken. Not as much when written, though it always catches my attention. I know it's a weird 'lil thing & everyone always aggravates me about it. They constantly say them to annoy the hell outta me. So does anyone else out there have any thing that really disturbs ya? Any weird quirks?
Please tell me I'm not the only one
Old 08-02-2001, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

am i missing something here? your screen name starts with a p...

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

not as much when written....typed. it's mainly when others do it over and over again. I guess i just found it weird that i notice it way too much
Old 08-02-2001, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

not as much when written....typed. it's mainly when others do it over and over again. I guess i just found it weird that i notice it way too much
Old 08-02-2001, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

I got a p-word for you:

Paxil

It's used to treat obsessive compulsive disorders.

OK, I know that was harsh. My grandmother had something like that, but it was a few words she didnt like the way they sounded, like Stomach, Grandma, Lubbock, I forget the rest. She also liked to point out to people that their noses that were crooked. And she had the urge to pop other peoples blackheads. Come to think of it she was a little off sometimes. MAybe that was a bad reference.

[This message has been edited by lifesaver (edited August 02, 2001).]
Old 08-02-2001, 10:04 PM
Unregistered-

Question

Ok, I have a a question...

Does this "P-word" quirk also include P words that are pronounced with a silent P and "F" (PH)...like PHILANTHROPY....or PSYCHOTIC...???
Old 08-02-2001, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

it bothers me when people call their grandparents things like:

Nanna
Pops
Mammy
Granny
Gramps
Pappy
Pah-paw
Mah-maw
Grammy
Poppy

YUCK! It's just so...mushy and ick!
Old 08-02-2001, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Ew, I forgot:
Me-maw or Me-me.....<gag>!
Old 08-03-2001, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

no not silent like philanthropy...
I bet you are thinking I'm stupid, but I just figured that everybody had 'lil thangs that annoyed them
Old 08-03-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

tinkerbell, what do you call your grandparents?
Old 08-03-2001, 01:58 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by TinkerbellMTSU:
it bothers me when people call their grandparents things
I call my grandparents:
Oma & Opa.
It's German.

Old 08-03-2001, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I call my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.
Cutie: That's cool if it's some kind of heritage thing, and I'm not saying that people shouldn't call their grandparents whatever they want, but it's just one of my dumb pet peeves that makes me go <eek!>. Especially since my cousins call their other grandparents Pah-paw and Mee-maw. yuck!
I guess it's so they don't get confused, but I just call my grandparents Grandma & Grandpa "A" and Grandma & Grandpa "F" for their last names.

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~
Old 08-03-2001, 04:59 PM
Unregistered-

Smile

I don't think I've ever called my grandparents grandma and grandpa. I only use grandma and grandpa when when I'm referring to them in the 3rd person.

When I was a kid I had a hard time saying grandpa and grandma. Ever since I can remember I've called my grandpa "PAPA". Grandma's simply "Tutu" or "Lila". Tutu is Hawaiian and Lila's Filipino. When I was little, instead of saying "Lila" (because I couldn't say it), grandmas were "YAYA ISABEL" and "YAYA MERCEDES".

I don't know why, but I still call my mom "Mama" or "Mommy". Dad's still "Daddy". I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
My grandparents on my mom's side were always (or are in case of grandpa) Grandma and Grandpa. But on my dad's side I called them French Grandma and French Grandpa. LOL
Old 08-03-2001, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

princessgin, I understand completely what you mean. I think a lot of people have these sorts of quirks, tho' some people (like me) have more than the usual amount. Probably just this side of OCD, but I've never been diagnosed, and I kind of like it anyway. It doesn't interfere with my life, and I find it somewhat soothing, and it can be fun at times, so what's the harm?

I've got a think with "balance". I remember being a little kid, and if I'd "scrunch" up the toes on one foot, I'd have to do it on the other foot. But of course, to me, it didn't feel "even", so I had to go do it a little more on the first foot, which would then throw off the balance in the other direction, etc. I do the same thing when tapping the steering wheel while driving and stuff like that.

As to words... I used to see little Tetris blocks dropping in while I was reading, filling in the gaps between words and on the edges of un-justified type. But I think that's more about my addiction with certain games at that time than anything else.