GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,266
0 members and 1,266 guests
No Members online

Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
I am Pi Phi's Historian. Sciencewoman's daughter is correct. The badges will be given a good home at HQ. PM me and I can give you more info. And if you tell me your grandmother's name, I might be able to see if we have any pictures or information about her.

Thank you! I'll direct message you!
GreekChat Member

Then keep the Kappa ones and return the Pi Phi ones to their HQ. They will have a procedure for that.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Paging nyapbp, IRL Fran Becque! She is Pi Beta Phi's historian and she can tell you exactly what Pi Phi's policy is. My daughter is also a Pi Phi, and she rescued a badge with Fran's guidance a couple years ago. I think I might still have the PM where Fran told us the explicit guidelines.

ETA: I PMed Fran. I also found the old PM:

"We, like most groups, have three options for the disposition of badges - be buried with it, give it to another Pi Phi, or send it to HQ. Selling it on ebay isn't one of the options."

My daugher says "thank you" for respecting the badges and she is sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. It sounds like your grandmother was a wonderful sister.
Thank you!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
What happens to badges at headquarters? Always been curious if they are displayed with their histories, etc.
We have badges on display at HQ. Some are used as honor pins and photographs of them are used in social media and in our magazine. Every so often, the badge disposition form appears in The Arrow. Older alumnae sometimes keep the form with their badge and the badges often come back attached to the form.

Typically, our displays do not identify the donor, although the name is in our acquisitions file.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA72 View Post
Your story made me think about this: if you are near a Pi Phi chapter, you might visit and speak with the members about how much Pi Phi had meant to your family member. Sometimes, there are new initiates who cannot afford a badge. you might set up a "badge scholarship" for them to be gifted to the most deserving new members. Just a thought.
I love this idea. If your grandmother came from humble beginnings, I am sure she would as well. As a chapter adviser, I have known several young ladies that could not afford to buy badges, and I was able to arrange to have one purchased for them. In some cases, these were previously owned badges that were returned to our national office under circumstances of death or disaffiliation. When presented with these badges, these young women seemed to treasure them even more than those that were purchased brand new. Our badges should be worn with pride by members and not melted down for the weight of their gold.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I bought a chapter guard from our HQ that had been on a returned pin. Was very proud to have it!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Eternallyyours, your grandmother's pins sound very special. I hope you might take some pictures and share them with us here! I am especially in love with opal badges!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ The Pi Phi badge my daughter rescued in an opal badge. I will see if I can get generallygreek to post a picture in the badge thread.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

This makes me wonder: new members must purchase a badge (order is placed before initiation), it's not optional, it must be done. Is this not the case in all NPC orgs?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Some groups include one in their initiation fees.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
This makes me wonder: new members must purchase a badge (order is placed before initiation), it's not optional, it must be done. Is this not the case in all NPC orgs?
It's required for AEPhi. You must purchase a badge unless you are going to wear your sister's, mother's, or grandmother's badge. You cannot give away your badge while you're an active, so if your sister is still an active, you must buy your own badge.

If you've seen the "badge trends" thread, you've seen my not-infrequent complaints about how AEPhi badges cannot be customized. Letters in sequence, 27 pearls, gold bar, end of story - no opals, sapphires, emeralds, rubies, diamonds, white gold, etc. But one nice thing about this is that, since no customization is allowed, we almost always had our new members' badges before initiation. The other sororities at my school did allow customization, so it took time to craft those badges - new initiates wore their big sisters' badges, sometimes for as long as a semester, until their own badges came in.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
In the 80s, the cost of our badge was embedded in our initiation fee and it was compulsory. Today, sadly, it is an option. New members are initiated with their big sister's badges and given an order form to get their own. This takes time and some young women with financial difficulties never place that order, and therefore never own a badge. I don't know when this change took place but it saddens me when a young women tells me that she does not own a badge due to the cost. The most basic option is under $40. With the expense of membership, I strongly preferred the days that it was embedded into the initiation fees and every sister had one.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
In the 80s, the cost of our badge was embedded in our initiation fee and it was compulsory. Today, sadly, it is an option. New members are initiated with their big sister's badges and given an order form to get their own. This takes time and some young women with financial difficulties never place that order, and therefore never own a badge. I don't know when this change took place but it saddens me when a young women tells me that she does not own a badge due to the cost. The most basic option is under $40. With the expense of membership, I strongly preferred the days that it was embedded into the initiation fees and every sister had one.
It is embedded in our dues! (I mean, it's a separate fee, but you must pay it before you initiate, and it's not overly expensive) I could see if only 14k gold or jewelled badges were your options, but a simple gold-plated badge should be required. A badge is such an important identifier of our vows and bond, I couldn't imagine not having my badge!
Old 12-04-2017, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Just saw this on Ebay and think it's funny timing:
Quote:
One more thing, please don't complain about my sale of this pin, I do not feel that it is my job to return any item to your organization or headquarters. I am not selling copies of pins, nor do I make any claim of ownership of the design of the pins. Just a guy saving a lot of nice Greek pins from the refiner. If anymore of my auctions get pulled for copyright infringement, I will make it a point to melt every one of that groups pins from now on, Delta Sigma Theta, I'm talking to you...
Old 12-04-2017, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

so sorry for your loss, she sounds like an amazing woman.

I am curious about how she came to own both Kappa and Pi Phi badges being a Pi Phi?