GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,722
2 members and 1,720 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 07-01-2003, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

RACooper Hey, I just stumbled on this and my mouth just dropped...

I HOPE you give it some time. This clown WILL be seen (eventually) for the loser he is. I think this stuff goes on in a lot of chapters NIC, NPC...ALL of them have problems of some sort.

I know from your numerous, insightful posts that your fraternity means so much to you. Don't let a jerk destroy that.
As I type this it just dawned on me that you have Tom, lifesaver and others to help you through this. I know they will give you the sound and solid advice of a brother.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
My understanding of the situation is this: if these were NIC fraternities, he CAN join another one . . . but it will take a bit of work. He needs to officially deactivate from the first fraternity. Then, I think he also needs a letter from the first fraternity sent to his new fraternity saying that he was once a member of their organization, but no longer is. Then he can be initiated into another fraternity.
You got it right. NIC policy is that one member fraternity can initiate someone who was once a member of another member fraternity if the national HQ of the first informs the national HQ of the second that the guy is no longer a member.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The situation that has occured at Iowa State:

> member had had no interaction with ABC fraternity since he moved out of the house after his freshman year (he was initiated during his time there)
> became involved with XYZ fraternity during his junior year, letting them know he had been involved with ABC.
> researching of the Constitution and By-Laws of both fraternities took place.
> wrote letter of resignation to ABC asking to have membership suspended, with a copy sent to XYZ national headquarters.
> Iowa State greek affairs office reported to member that ABC stated he was no longer a member
> XYZ HQ exec gave OK to join
Old 06-27-2004, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
My understanding of the situation is this: if these were NIC fraternities, he CAN join another one . . . but it will take a bit of work. He needs to officially deactivate from the first fraternity. Then, I think he also needs a letter from the first fraternity sent to his new fraternity saying that he was once a member of their organization, but no longer is. Then he can be initiated into another fraternity. I'd check to make sure there's nothing else to the process, because there might be more to it . . . but it is possible.

If they aren't NIC fraternities, different rules will apply so he should check with their HQs.

For the record, if you initiate an NPC or NPHC sorority, you cannot ever join a different one, even if you deactivate . . . but NIC fraternities are a different story.
This is correct. Now, a few individual groups do have it in their bylaws, rits etc. that they do not accept previous members. But it is left up to the individual organization. The rule seems to work out fine for them.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XODUS1914
NPHC Frats have the same rule. Once you are down with one NPHC frat, you can't join another. However, I have known members of non-NPHC Frats join a NPHC Frat (grad) without a problem, because the expereicne was considered so different.
I guess. *shrug*
Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
For the record, if you initiate an NPC or NPHC sorority OR FRATERNITY, you cannot ever join a different one, even if you deactivate . . . .
THIS. (I updated to include Frat also, atleast for NPHC orgs)
Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

6 year old thread

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

If your fraternity closed down can you join another

Asking on behalf of family member, this man is a freshman and just initiated last fall. However, his fraternity recently had their charter revoked for a minor hazing infraction. This man enjoyed the greek life and would like to participate being still a freshman. Although, he liked his fraternity their charter is revoked for a minor hazing incident without much in the way of due process. Is it possible this freshman join another (NIC)fraternity considering they were all given official notice they can no longer represent (wear letters, etc) on the campus?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabell View Post
Asking on behalf of family member, this man is a freshman and just initiated last fall. However, his fraternity recently had their charter revoked for a minor hazing infraction. This man enjoyed the greek life and would like to participate being still a freshman. Although, he liked his fraternity their charter is revoked for a minor hazing incident without much in the way of due process. Is it possible this freshman join another (NIC)fraternity considering they were all given official notice they can no longer represent (wear letters, etc) on the campus?
Was he initiated?

If the only reason he wants to join another fraterniy is to "represent" then he is probably a cheese dick.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Check with the new fraternity's national. They have a national constitution/bylaws that clearly define membership eligibility. Some chapters may disregard that, but not likely.